letting the police know

swipey

It only takes 2 minutes to ring your local ploice authority and give your details (name,address and mobile number)and let them know when and where you intend to go shooting. The police officer commented by saying ` we wish all shotgun/rifle users did this' which they are right.

It greatly reduces the risk of the armed response and the chopper been called in and being led away in handcuffs, it happens.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It only takes 2 minutes to ring your local ploice authority and give your details (name,address and mobile number)and let them know when and where you intend to go shooting. The police officer commented by saying ` we wish all shotgun/rifle users did this' which they are right.

It greatly reduces the risk of the armed response and the chopper been called in and being led away in handcuffs, it happens.

good evening officer, thanks for your advice but we will reserve the right to go about our lawful hobby without seeking 'permission'

if you wish to spend taxpayers money every time some twerp wants to complain about terrorists shooting rabbits, well that's up to you, but let's face it nothing quite beats an excuse to fly around in a helicopter.

last time I called up I had to spend five minutes explaining what zeroing a rifle was. :rolleyes:

Edited by artschool

Do you have any proof of that please.

Massive "mission creep" from the police. If you are going about your lawful business, not bothering anyone, not trespassing and not breaking any laws - why do you need to inform the police? If some timid soul is "alarmed", by the sight of someone in a field with a gun in the countryside, that's their problem not yours and they need to wise up and get out a bit more. Even if you do it, the police still have to respond if someone reports you, so it's a complete waste of time. If everyone did it every time they went out, they'd be swamped and couldn't log all the calls. In fact, it's worse than a waste of time - it's conditioning us to ever more red tape and restrictions. It's a slippery slope before it becomes mandatory. Next thing they'll be wanting to take on extra staff to administer it and charge the costs for it to SGC/FAC holders.

We have more restrictions, red tape and bureaucracy to deal with as shooters in this country, than on any other nation on earth. We don't need any more :no:

I only think it's worth doing this if you're going to be shooting in a place likely to cause concern, golf club or near a built up area springs to mind. Common sense?

I'm a copper and we get calls in all the time about gun shots being heard, contrary to what some people on here believe the first response isn't helicopters and armed officers, that is complete ********!! In fact in my 6 years I don't think I've ever heard a recreational shooter facing armed police (Surrey).

Ops1 in the control room will make decisions based on loads of information, not just the sound of a gun shot lol,,,,,

Troll_face.png

Massive "mission creep" from the police. If you are going about your lawful business, not bothering anyone, not trespassing and not breaking any laws - why do you need to inform the police? If some timid soul is "alarmed", by the sight of someone in a field with a gun in the countryside, that's their problem not yours and they need to wise up and get out a bit more. Even if you do it, the police still have to respond if someone reports you, so it's a complete waste of time. If everyone did it every time they went out, they'd be swamped and couldn't log all the calls. In fact, it's worse than a waste of time - it's conditioning us to ever more red tape and restrictions. It's a slippery slope before it becomes mandatory. Next thing they'll be wanting to take on extra staff to administer it and charge the costs for it to SGC/FAC holders.

We have more restrictions, red tape and bureaucracy to deal with as shooters in this country, than on any other nation on earth. We don't need any more :no:

Interesting first post Swipey - Welcome on board. A little bit about yourself might be a good starter.

Blunderbuss - I couldn't have put it better myself :good:

Do you think "Swipey" is one of the boys in blue trying to spread the gospel?

I hope not, any policeman would have said police, not police authority. :hmm:

Also they would have done a bit of investigation first and looked for a previous thread of which there are many.

So I stand by my original post ... :lol:

Do you think "Swipey" is one of the boys in blue trying to spread the gospel?

I'm sure it's nothing sinister. Probably coming up for early retirement and just doing the spadework in preparation for a cushy "civilian" job as "recreational shooters movements liaison coordinator" (or as a second job on his "off" shifts)

Talking of mission creep - What happened to the scheme in Manchester where FAC holders were asked to keep a fired case in a plastic bag for forensic tests if required?

Cheers for the advice, and i think thats all it is.

which you rather choose, our tax payers money being wasted sending out the armed response or just a PCSO or beat officer to check its you, the person that rang up?

Matey has made his advice, use it or dont, you can be the judge of it, just like anything else you read on the net :good:

I guess its maybe good idea for some, but i shoot many different farms and don't know what one i will end up at until i have driven around and shoot a few.

TBH...they couldnt care less down here.....I pulled up next to a policeman (accident and road was closed),it was 3am (ish) i was covered in blood on my hands probably on my face and all down my shirt.I had a boot full of rabbits..I wound my window down and he asked which way i was going...I told him i was on my way to Newquay,he pointed out the quickest diversion...i said thanks and carried on my journey...didn't bat an eye lid...

As said...in more urban areas then maybe.....No need down here tho...