Photocopied licence

My licence is away for a variation (previous dealings with s yorks indicate it may be a while <_< ). Can i use my photocopied licence to buy some lil gun powder and vmax bullets / small pistol primers for reloads?

...or will i have to wait until its returned?

Depends on the dealer, one let me phone my licence details through after selling me the stuff face to face. After that he kept my details in his book and never asked again.

Don't want to get my head chewed off, but no licence required for lead or cases and debatable whether it is needed for powder and primers, I ask to see one when selling those, but have been told everytime on here it's not required.

My licence is away for a variation (previous dealings with s yorks indicate it may be a while <_< ). Can i use my photocopied licence to buy some lil gun powder and vmax bullets / small pistol primers for reloads?

You shouldnt need one for Powder/Primers, However you will need one for V-Max bullets as they are required to be enetered on your FAC

Yes, expanding ammunition and the missiles of such ammunition must be entered on your FAC(England not sure of others) and will count towards your totals on your certificate.

They don't get entered on your FAC, but the dealer will keep a record of the sale - he will only sell them to you if you have an FAC conditioned for expanding ammo (in that calibre)

Mike

Expanding missiles should be entered. Primers do need an FAC because of violen crime reduction Act.

Yes agreed - that is how my force area dictates to RFDs however, other areas in the UK take a different stance on it and do not require expanding ammo put on the holder's certificate. Its all about interpretation of the law, like some forces will allow 17HMR for fox whilst with others its a no no.

Expanding missiles should be entered. Primers do need an FAC because of violen crime reduction Act.

Went shopping yesterday at Kranks and you are correct. They sold me the powder but wouldnt give me the primers without seeing my 'original' cert. The expanding bullet heads also need entering on my original cert. so i couldnt obtain those either.

(Just as an aside, They are a bit short on Lee reloading gear, but kindly offered free postage on the gear i wanted when it comes in)

Edited by bladesman

OMG some "interesting" advice on this

1) Don't send your original for a variation, absolutely no need. you can swap it when the process is completed if asked to. BASC even wrote about this to highlight it in the latest Shooting and Conservation magazine.

2) don't advise people to buy ammunition for other people, asking for trouble.

Technically possible, but the implications of purchasing for immediate resale are severe, especially if you handed them over without the original certificate which prompted the purchase in the first place!

3) All forces count expanding ammo as part of the allocation now. (a relatively recent change)

As such the RFD should be entering them on your FAC, otherwise why bother entering live ammo either? if it was just down to their records then none of of it would be required on your FAC.

On my last renewal my FLO asked if i could justify keeping my .243 as i did not appear to use it. This was an opinion reached by the fact that i did not buy ammo for it and when i showed him the reloading bench he was more than happy with my usage. Since then i always ASK the RFD to add heads to the certificate, no big deal for me and keeps the licencing dept. happy. :good:

On my last renewal my FLO asked if i could justify keeping my .243 as i did not appear to use it. This was an opinion reached by the fact that i did not buy ammo for it and when i showed him the reloading bench he was more than happy with my usage. Since then i always ASK the RFD to add heads to the certificate, no big deal for me and keeps the licencing dept. happy. :good:

Always keep the recipts for everything you buy. Not just bullets, primers, powder cases.

Edited by Vince Green

Depends on the dealer, one let me phone my licence details through after selling me the stuff face to face. After that he kept my details in his book and never asked again.

Don't want to get my head chewed off, but no licence required for lead or cases and debatable whether it is needed for powder and primers, I ask to see one when selling those, but have been told everytime on here it's not required.

Definitely not needed for brass and non-expanding bullets. You are supposed to show a cert for primers and, technically, expanding bullets should actually be written in on the ammo table but the guidance says it needs not be.

J.

lack of use is not a justification for them to revoke a rifle. nowhere in any firearms law or guidance is "usage" a requirement for "good reason"

you could buy a box of 20 a year, shoot 5 for zeroing and 15 for deer and still shoot more deer than a huge number of "stalkers"

from the age of 17 I had a 270 on my FAC that was probably fired 20 times a year for 10 years in exactly this scenario

why should they take it away because it is not used as a range whore?

You can buy the powder without an FAC the other bits need a valid FAC, but you can be given them by a mate who has one (bullet heads should go on your FAC) he also needs to be able to possess them

You can buy the powder without an FAC the other bits need a valid FAC, but you can be given them by a mate who has one (bullet heads should go on your FAC) he also needs to be able to possess them

You do not need a cert to possess primers but must produce one to purchase them. They do not need to be written on it. There is no space to do so they can't be. You do not need a cert to purchase brass or bullets which are not designed or adapted to expand.

J.