US trying to prosecute UK citizen for copyright crime that took place

Bleeh

I can see why Jimmy Wales would have a vested interest in this issue,but I'm a little confused as to whether the student is guilty of copyright infringement or not;the title of the post suggests he is?

Don't know what to think of this actually. Are we voting against copyright legislation,which is Jimmy Wales' personel bugbear,or the fact we can be extradited to another country for breach of copyright?

I'm not against extradition to any country for crimes committed against that country,but it must work both ways.

I can see why Jimmy Wales would have a vested interest in this issue,but I'm a little confused as to whether the student is guilty of copyright infringement or not;the title of the post suggests he is?

Don't know what to think of this actually. Are we voting against copyright legislation,which is Jimmy Wales' personel bugbear,or the fact we can be extradited to another country for breach of copyright?

I'm not against extradition to any country for crimes committed against that country,but it must work both ways.

I was thinking the same - so wont be signing it - for all we k ow he did commit a copyright infringement and these can cover an item regardless of whether in the US or UK.

Regards,

Gixer

You think that extradition should apply to alleged copyright infringement?

One Country's version of copyright infringement differs from another, and quite substantially.

Ripped away from your family, held on remand in another country, made responsible for that cost and subject to another legal system and for what?

You think that extradition should apply to alleged copyright infringement?

One Country's version of copyright infringement differs from another, and quite substantially.

Ripped away from your family, held on remand in another country, made responsible for that cost and subject to another legal system and for what?

It seems like a small deal at first but remember the napster fiasco? That could've cost various people millions in lost revenue which really wasn't fair was it?

There are reasons these laws are put in place.

Am I seriously having to explain that to a solicitor? :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

Tests of a good law might include,

is it just

is it proportionate

is it reasonable

is it fair

Fails on all counts

Many dictators would like such power - it is unseemly in a friendly nation to want to wield such a power - I too have signed.

Capital 'T' edited

Edited by Kes

Did not sign up. I am aware of the disparity between us and uk laws and am not a huge fan of this extradition treaty. However, file sharing sites ( and i beleive this was one) need closing down, they are theft.

Until i see both sets of evidence, i remain unconvinced.

Did not sign up. I am aware of the disparity between us and uk laws and am not a huge fan of this extradition treaty. However, file sharing sites ( and i beleive this was one) need closing down, they are theft.

Until i see both sets of evidence, i remain unconvinced.

You are missing the point.

He has committed no crime in the UK. This is like saying that because you posted an Image of Mohammed (which is a crime in Iraq) it's fine for you to be deported to Iraq because you broke their laws.

The reach of US law should stop at their borders.

Edited by Bleeh

The first thing we need to sort out is the double standards of the extradition treaty which is massively in favour of the US. Truely sad state of affairs and yet another example of the UK pandering to everyone's wims.

Labour lost our backbone years ago the current mob are need to get a grip fast 'cos they ain't doing much better.

From my limited understanding af the american legal system i can only add my concern over this matter which smacks of the good old U.S.A.acting as some sort of universal police force ,with their "anti american" rubbish. The worldwide patent/copyright system allows for a prosecution to take place in the country of the alleged offence,think of the fake addidas ,lacoste,as well as any number of other copied foriegn owned brands that have brought trademark related prosecutions in the U.K. without the need for extradition.

Absolutley no case to answer in this instance ,other then a politically driven agenda which should be resisted.

As mungler says where does this end ?

Ill just point out he had a site that had links to sites with tv programs that you COULD click on if you wanted to. He didnt actualy have any illegal material on his site. Its basically, If i said you COULD go around your neihbours and shoot one of them and you go and do it, they make out its my fault for suggesting it rather than you for doing the actual shooting. Sort of :)

i agree that the extradition treaty is completely one sided. The "Yo Blair" comment from GWB just about sums it up, but as an aside, the youngsters of today (at least the ones i talk to) do not see file sharing as theft. Let's be clear. it's not like lending your LP or CD to a mate to copy.