Shooting Mags

caplock

As above really. Sick to death of sporting 'advert' gun. Approximately half the comic is advert the rest re hashed tat that follows the same old formula on a quarterly basis.

Who reccomends what?:good:

I subscribe to Shooting Times and Sporting Shooter, both are good in their own way. The articles are very well written in ST but theres a better mix in SS. I've also bought the Field this month as my English Setter bitches sire, Jake, is on the front cover :)

BASC's rag is quite good reading also.

Rob

I used to subscribe to SG many years ago. I found it incredible how whole articles would be copied from year to year- ie for 3 years in a row the same article with different title and pictures about hatching eggs under a broody hen appeared.

By chance I saw last months SG, and the "professional ferreter"- did you read the caption under the dead rabbit with head towards the gun. Disgusting - no respect- it read "kiss the gun that just killed you" just handing ammo for the antis. His last paragraph about foxes also ****** me off a lot.

The ST would be my staple reading. :good:

I have subscribed to them all over the years and eventually cancelled the subscriptions for the same reasons.

Regurgitated articles, 80% adverts, equipment "tests" that are nothing more than pushing the sponsors goods, overpriced and the same old boring contributors.

Gone are the days of Geoffrey Boothroyd, Colin Willock, the Taylor brothers, BB and other memorable writers,

Todays crop are mostly, been nowhere, done nothing, know nothing, types.

I no longer subscribe to any shooting magazines and don't feel that my life is blighted one iota. :good:

v interesting....... must agree with teal in post above 'edward cock' professional ferreter by dint of owning an old army greatcoat really was the last straw for me. cheers all i shall be spending my hard earned on a more grown up rag in the future. maybe these comics really are part of the antis agenda against freedom of choice where our pastime is concerned.hmmmm......

I subscribe to Shooting Times, and I got a gift subscription to the hilarious Shooting Gazette ( more like Hello/OK magazine than a shooting mag).

I also read Sporting Gun regularly, but as said previously, it carries the exact same articles and letters as Shooting Times, just delayed by a few months. The two mags are published by IPC Media, so it's hardly a surprise that there's a flow of information between the two magazines. And the adverts and ****-poor editing of Sporting Gun annoy the hell out of me.

Sporting Shooter is a really good read too, but it's pretty hard to get hold of,particularly in London.

Shooting Times is the best read and the most professional magazine, in my opinion.

I subscribe to Shooting Times, and I got a gift subscription to the hilarious Shooting Gazette ( more like Hello/OK magazine than a shooting mag).

I also read Sporting Gun regularly, but as said previously, it carries the exact same articles and letters as Shooting Times, just delayed by a few months. The two mags are published by IPC Media, so it's hardly a surprise that there's a flow of information between the two magazines. And the adverts and ****-poor editing of Sporting Gun annoy the hell out of me.

Sporting Shooter is a really good read too, but it's pretty hard to get hold of,particularly in London.

Shooting Times is the best read and the most professional magazine, in my opinion.

I did subscribe to Shooting times - trouble is I read the news sections and editorial on the first three pages, and of course Town Gun - but the rest I tended to skim over. Now that town gun has sadly left us and I have no interest in dog work I tend to just read the news column in Smiths and put it back (apologies if Cammilla Clarke is reading this - or indeed Mr. WH.Smith!)

I also have so many 'countryside' journals to read for work I tend to read bits of Countrymans, ST, British Wildlife, Nature and the multitude of DEFRA/EN bits and try to come to my own conclusions.

Cheers Rob I've never got the time to stand in 'Smiths poring over the merits of each mag so I'll give your two a try. That Edward 'ferret expert' Cook gets right on my wick!!

Cheers

:lol: Don't think your on your own there caplock "FERRET EXPERT" kiddie, only a guess but me thinks someone inherited lots of money once upon a time ??? I don't know I might be wrong?

Ps I did like the sporting shooter mag but it's going the same way(all adverts)

I used to subscribe to SG many years ago. I found it incredible how whole articles would be copied from year to year- ie for 3 years in a row the same article with different title and pictures about hatching eggs under a broody hen appeared.

By chance I saw last months SG, and the "professional ferreter"- did you read the caption under the dead rabbit with head towards the gun. Disgusting - no respect- it read "kiss the gun that just killed you" just handing ammo for the antis. His last paragraph about foxes also ****** me off a lot.

The ST would be my staple reading. :lol:

I agree. I picked up a Sporting Gun (free of course) at the CLA Game Fair and read that caption as well. I dislike alot of these 'professional ferreter' types. One of them who I do like and comes across as a good genuine guy is Simon Whitehead of Pakefield Ferrets. A few years ago at the Westcountry Game Fair myself, my Mum and Dad were speaking to him before I had ferrets. He told my Mum that it is always the women that never wanted ferrets and always the women that then wanted more. :/ She said that we wouldn't be getting any in the first place... later on that Summer she was very pleased by the arrival of 2 kits that were immediatly swept up and allowed to go to sleep in her arms/slippers/dressing gown. :/

This proved to be true and after one of my kits died we came home with not one adult poley but 2 because Mum couldn't leave Echo the wimpy quiverbag behind or Grace the pretty wriggly ferret with the RSPCA at Christmas time. :lol:

When we told this to Simon at the last Westcountry Game Fair he said that's typical. The ammount of people that come back to me and say that is unbelievable. :lol: He has a nice lurcher too. ???

FM :P

Edward Cook is the son of a Game Keeper and started his business from nothing,and his job is to kill rabbits for farmers and landowners,he is not a sport ferreter he is a pest controller.As for the caption in Sporting Gun Edward would not have written the captions.

Then why put his name to the captions ??? Wouldn't be for advertising would it :lol: