Foxes and rimfires

Why start a thread asking should a rimfire be used for shooting foxes but then at the end say your only on about the .22 (the weakest of rimfires)? :hmm:

will a .22 kill foxes.. Yes..

would I go out and buy a .22 as a foxing gun.. No..

If I was out with a .22 and called a fox within 50 yards would I take the shot?..Yes..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The calibre itself is plenty powerful enough to do the job if it is used within it's limits. I prefer bigger rounds to soup them up a bit when they're hit but at close range in areas you need to be quiet the .22lr is great. I can think of dozens of occasions I've had a call to deal with a fox and of all the guns in my safe I've taken the .22. You can take things out right under the noses of animal loving neighbours and they don't even notice the gun going off!

When I was a kid growing up foxes were always shot with a .22. That was "a rifle", nobody I knew had anything else. Can't imagine anyone round there going out and buying a centrefire rifle just to shoot foxes.

This was my experience also.With the exception of one old farmer and his brother who used an old .303 SMLE everyone used the .22lr.

The simple answer is there are foxes and there are foxes are you suggesting these required a centerfire?

Luton-20120505-00456.jpg

In some situations my HMR comes out in preference because its most suitable, usually its cubs and close range or reasonably close to buildings or roads. to suggest you have to use a centerfire on quarry that size is frankly ludicrous. Its not a per se foxing caliber its when the situation is right

Personally a rimfire isnt suitable for "regular" fox control. What i mean by regular fox control is taking more than 15 foxes per year or over distances greater than :

.22lr - Upto 50yards head shot

.22WMR - upto 80 yards head or engine room shot

.17HMR - upto 100 yards head shot

How ever, For cirtain circumstances a rimfire is purfect for the job. Cal wise these ar my feelings !

.22WMR - upto 80 yards head

So yes i think rimfires should be conditioned for fox, its ideal for shooting trapped and snared foxes or foex in pens and when you can sit 30-50 yards off a warren to wait for parents and cubs to come out a .22lr would be purfect keeping the noise right down and not scaring the cubs allows for a clean and clinical job to be done.

I feel all the rifires should allow fox as a condition and if the FAC holder cant realise whats suitable / appropriet for the calibre of whepon they have then they shouldnt have the FAC in the first place !

Edited by salop sniper

Personally a rimfire isnt suitable for "regular" fox control. What i mean by regular fox control is taking more than 15 foxes per year or over distances greater than :

.22WMR - upto 80 yards head or engine room shot

How ever, For cirtain circumstances a rimfire is purfect for the job. Cal wise these ar my feelings !

.22WMR - upto 80 yards head

So yes i think rimfires should be conditioned for fox, its ideal for shooting trapped and snared foxes or foex in pens and when you can sit 30-50 yards off a warren to wait for parents and cubs to come out a .22lr would be purfect keeping the noise right down and not scaring the cubs allows for a clean and clinical job to be done.

I feel all the rifires should allow fox as a condition and if the FAC holder cant realise whats suitable / appropriet for the calibre of whepon they have then they shouldnt have the FAC in the first place !

the HMR is well capable of knocking foxes cleanly at 140-150 yards.

Ive shot out past 100 with chest shots and none of them ran. 140 been the furthest I was comfortable with. People really underestimate the capabilities of the hmr

Hi fellas

I know this has prob been done to death

Me and one of my mates have this age old argument about shooting foxes with rimfires I personally thinkits an innapropriate calibre to shoot foxes with,Essex police don't allow it either,he on the other hand thinks its acceptable,. I know a rimfire is more than capable of killing a fox with a well placed shot-but so is an air rifle if your stupid enough to shoot one with it! I just think with a rimfire there's to much margin for error, I know you can kill them and I'm sure a few people do I just want honest opinions.

I'm talking about a normal 22lr to not WMRs ok.

Cheers

should never be allowed.

The simple answer is there are foxes and there are foxes are you suggesting these required a centerfire?

Luton-20120505-00456.jpg

In some situations my HMR comes out in preference because its most suitable, usually its cubs and close range or reasonably close to buildings or roads. to suggest you have to use a centerfire on quarry that size is frankly ludicrous. Its not a per se foxing caliber its when the situation is right

Al4x nails this one for me :yes:

The HMR is capable of dispatching fox and i have posted a lot of them on here,BUT distance and placement are all important,i have let a lot live another day because i had that nigle that i might not hit the precise spot,i am going for a 223 as it will cut down the margin of error.

Shooting the hmr at 140 yds at a fox shouldn't be considered,as wind, movement etc come in and the margin of error magnifies itself,we all know it could kill at that distance,i have knocked over rabbits way past that,but why risk it at that distance,use field craft and call it in to a more appropriate distance.

Nothing wrong with a .22 sub at close range if you can shoot well enough.

Would you use a .22 for general foxing ?.... no.

Would you use a .22 for shooting foxes in the farmers backgarden at 3am when theyre walking around his chicken shed 30 yards away ?... yes, why not.

If you bump into one when your rabitting the onus is on YOU to decide if the shot is humane ( not getting into the whole is a fox a fox or is it vermin and if your force issues it thing :hmm: ). If its fifty yards away and you cant keep the crosshairs in the right spot then wait till its 30 yards away. If your still wobbling just remember that the little .22lr doesent have much room for error so in respect of the fox jsut let it go and youl either catch up with it with a proper foxing caliber or when you can confidently put the round where it it is supposed to go.

Ive shot some big foxes at close range and they have ALL been dead before they have hit the ground.

Its not the caliber that is or isnt up to it. The 22 lr most certainly is. Its the person behind the trigger that either is or isnt up to it. Only you know the answer to that one and if your not comfortable with using one for fox then dont use one, theres plenty of other options out there :good:

I'm sorry to say this but it's people spouting that a HMR is a capable 150yd foxing round depicts shooters as irresponsible, it's plain daft.

No wonder many licensing departments refuse to condition rimfires for fox.

Foxes dont complain about it, none of them ran.. Know the bullet drop, and know the wind and its not difficult at all. Practising on paper is important.

.22 hornet is the minimum

I have a hornet, had a WMR, both conditioned for fox.

Personally I feel the Hornet is an ideal fox rifle for those of us that tend to keep ranges reasonable, like 150 yards.

I have downed foxes at almost that range with the WMR and HMR, both did the job, but although they dropped to the shot

the HMR one was still alive when I had walked in, not acceptable to me, the WMR faired better but not by much.

In comparison the Hornet shot ones are dead right there on the spot, if I had to choose a rimmy for the job it would again be

the WMR but ranges need to be sensible, maybe 80 yards for a body shot.

The HMR is for me a non starter for fox, I would rather use a .22lr with subs, at least the ammo is consistent.

Neil. :)

Hi fellas

I know this has prob been done to death

Me and one of my mates have this age old argument about shooting foxes with rimfires I personally thinkits an innapropriate calibre to shoot foxes with,Essex police don't allow it either,he on the other hand thinks its acceptable,. I know a rimfire is more than capable of killing a fox with a well placed shot-but so is an air rifle if your stupid enough to shoot one with it! I just think with a rimfire there's to much margin for error, I know you can kill them and I'm sure a few people do I just want honest opinions.

I'm talking about a normal 22lr to not WMRs ok.

Cheers

Late 60's and 70's .22lr was perfectly acceptable for shooting foxes, its all most small farmers had, opinions changed after for the need to go centrefire, it just followed on, in reality a well placed .22lr at the appropriate range will do the job fine, but most forces with the concensus of opinion require a larger calibre.

.22lr was good enough for the SOE to kill people.(can of worms time along with .45ACP)

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

Late 60's and 70's .22lr was perfectly acceptable for shooting foxes, its all most small farmers had, opinions changed after for the need to go centrefire, it just followed on, in reality a well placed .22lr at the appropriate range will do the job fine, but most forces with the concensus of opinion require a larger calibre.

.22lr was good enough for the SOE to kill people.(can of worms time along with .45ACP)

Alan

the reason it has been selected in the past by many such organisations is its low chamber pressure and diminutive size in consealed / disguised weapons (pens and the like). I have some interesting stuff here on CIA work on such items. The Home guard had a special unit who were also issued .22 lr sniper rifles to assasinate officials of our own people in case they disclosed secrets to the invading forces about plans for a behind the lines gorrila war, mosad used the moderated .22 lr in semi auto pistols in thier revenge killings of the 70's. This is all pretty grissily stuff though but in truth has very little to do with the clean killing of foxes in the field and .22 lr. All was abandoned in favour of larger calibre subsonics by the above when consealment was not an issue at the end of the not so cold war and over conserns about lethal effectiveness. remember Regan was shot in the chest at very short range and survived

the reason it has been selected in the past by many such organisations is its low chamber pressure and diminutive size in consealed / disguised weapons (pens and the like). I have some interesting stuff here on CIA work on such items. The Home guard had a special unit who were also issued .22 lr sniper rifles to assasinate officials of our own people in case they disclosed secrets to the invading forces about plans for a behind the lines gorrila war, mosad used the moderated .22 lr in semi auto pistols in thier revenge killings of the 70's. This is all pretty grissily stuff though but in truth has very little to do with the clean killing of foxes in the field and .22 lr. All was abandoned in favour of larger calibre subsonics by the above when consealment was not an issue at the end of the not so cold war and over conserns about lethal effectiveness. remember Regan was shot in the chest at very short range and survived

In America more people are killed with .22s than any other calibre. That just goes to prove that stats can be distorted. There are a huge number of .22 in America. You can buy the ammo with your groceries in Walmart

In America more people are killed with .22s than any other calibre. That just goes to prove that stats can be distorted. There are a huge number of .22 in America. You can buy the ammo with your groceries in Walmart

likewise i bet in areas were Fox is not granted on rimfires that more than an odd one gets popped by a keeper on his rounds, the guy out rabbiting or the farmer out his tractor window.

you know that brings to mind the fact that a shotgun with the right load is every bit as effective as a .22 lr or more so, if a little noisier. :yes: