New permission, new problem

Had a call from my shooting buddy earlier to say he's got us a new permission "shooting crows"

Our current permission doesn't really get any crows on it, I've no idea why but they do get shot when they're there, so, neither of us really knows how to go about things, we agree that they're bloomin clever little **** and that investing in some crow decoys is probably a good start but that's about it!

Over to you guys, what do you do to get a decent bag? As always, any advice much appreciated

It's all about concealment, a good hide and being where they are flighting, that's it, they can be very cunning but also very stupid

+1 YOU got it spot on there face vail, gloves and keeping very still till they come into range and get some hard hitting shells crows have body Armour at any thing much more than 40 yards i love 36grams 5s lots on here will tell you 7.5s can kill them at 50 yards no probs .

Well as im not one to argue on here there talking out of there bottom crows are very tough bird to kill out right iv shot them 2.or 3 times on floor to stop them

or and p.s yes a clay cart will work but very short range ,

swiss

+1 YOU got it spot on there face vail, gloves and keeping very still till they come into range and get some hard hitting shells crows have body Armour at any thing much more than 40 yards i love 36grams 5s lots on here will tell you 7.5s can kill them at 50 yards no probs .

Well as im not one to argue on here there talking out of there bottom crows are very tough bird to kill out right iv shot them 2.or 3 times on floor to stop them

swiss

yeh about 10ft away anything over that the crow laughs and flys away made that mistake once 3 shots to kill him went and bought a load of alphamax 40g bbs afta that mistake , :no:

swiss

I have wounded them via 46 grm of number 1 blowing half the body away at shorter range yet killed them dead in the air with clay loads at max ranges. Yes tough birds but its all about head and neck in centre patten IMO. 36grm of 5's is also my choice likewise as i don't achieve that all the time

I have wounded them via 46 grm of number 1 blowing half the body away at shorter range yet killed them dead in the air with clay loads at max ranges. Yes tough birds but its all about head and neck in centre patten IMO. 36grm of 5's is also my choice likewise as i don't achieve that all the time

Put the first two you shoot, whether they are crows, rooks or jackdaws on the rotary. This usually increases the confidence of the birds to come in. I have found that the normally very wary carrion crows are just too curious not to get a closer look and come in range to be shot.

First the hide needs to conceal you from them, put some form of lid on it so you can pull back and be hidden, use the wind so that they glide past you to the pattern, they will be looking at the birds more than you. Start with two or three plastics and replace them with real birds as you shoot them.buy a crow call and plactice a slow call( I'm here and there's food) Fast Calls ( Frenzy, Fight) and short bite the call for a jackdaw sqeak. The more decoys the more confident they will be. Control your shooting they appear not to be moving when you shoot, just pause with your bead on them and see which direction/ speed they are going before you follow through and shoot. There are a lot of young birds around at present and they will not be wise. Good Luck

yeh about 10ft away anything over that the crow laughs and flys away made that mistake once 3 shots to kill him went and bought a load of alphamax 40g bbs afta that mistake , :no:

10ft = 3.33 yards! Not being funny, but a crow would be blown to pieces at that range and shouldn't take three shots to kill. Crows aren't THAT tough, but shoot them up the **** and you won't kill them. An ounce of 7 is more than enough for a 40-50 yard crow -40gm BB is a terrible catridge choice.

im suprised no one takes them out with 9's at 50 yards :lol: 30g in 6's will kill, but in my opinion you will wound more, i was using 32g in 6's last time i shot crows and they just wer'nt affective enough for a clean kill, i have been shooting 25 years so please dont reply saying im not shooting them right :unsure: , my choice would be 34g in 5's, does the business :good: but if you can drop em dead at 50 yards with 7's then i take my hat of to thee my friend as you are clearly the man.

dont know if this will be any help but ive often found if your going to try decoying crows, ive found pigeon decoys bring in the crows quicker probably to there nature of bullying the pigeons out of a easy meal and showing territorial presence.

like i said might work for you , def worth a try as it has worked for me many times in the past

HTH Craig

It's safe to say we've all dropped crows with pigeon rounds, hell, even clay rounds, but Iv also recently shot crows (with Swiss tony) using 36g no5 full pattern and had 3-4 shots (the jokes were... That's ANOTHER £1.20 bird!) and they've still flown/been alive enough to need to chase it up the field. They're pretty hard birds sometimes, if you watch some YouTube vids there still alive after being hit with a hmr/.223/ etc!

Personally, I try to stay clear of crow shooting as I hate it and shooting them is far too much hassel!

:D the BIG BANG overkill brigade on here again :lol: seriously 30grm 6's will drop em fine :good:

and if you get em in close enough and ya can shoot :D 7 and a halfs DO drop em clean.

WHAT a load of rubbish do you evan own a gun cause if you do your talking out of bottom crows are 1 of the hardest birds to kill 7.5 are a total waste of time and the big bang brigade as you say we use the correct shell for what were shooting at next you will say you can kill a fox at 40 yards with a number 8 lol

WHAT a load of rubbish do you evan own a gun cause if you do your talking out of bottom crows are 1 of the hardest birds to kill 7.5 are a total waste of time and the big bang brigade as you say we use the correct shell for what were shooting at next you will say you can kill a fox at 40 yards with a number 8 lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: ive shot crows at 60 yards with a pea shooter, you just need to make sure the peas have been dried for extra impact, you cant be shooting em right Tone if you need to use no5 shells, my mates next door neighbours uncles brother says he only uses 9's and he has no problems.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ive shot crows at 60 yards with a pea shooter, you just need to make sure the peas have been dried for extra impact, you cant be shooting em right Tone if you need to use no5 shells, my mates next door neighbours uncles brother says he only uses 9's and he has no problems.

u must be using the same marrowfat peas my mum serves up they can break your teeth without trying :lol: :lol:

I've not had a problem with clear pigs 32 #6's. Stone dead by the time they hit the floor, (35ish yrds or under) the majority anyway, the odd few is my bad shooting. I don't do long range ones so I couldn't say on the effectiveness further out. I have used a Black gold #8 by accident on them but it dropped it, wasn't very far out tho, maybe only 20yards, wouldnt use it normally was just left in my coat pocket. Both with either half choke in or 3/4. This was when nearly dark and they was coming back to the woods to roost, best times I've had on them. In the day I found it real awkward.

i use 6.30/32gr and dont have a problem dropping them, i also use 8/10 deeks and replace them with dead birds as i go along use your deeks to guide the crows round to you, and concealment is a must just make sure you dont move untill your ready for your shot they have a very sharp eye :good:

:D the BIG BANG overkill brigade on here again :lol: seriously 30grm 6's will drop em fine :good:

and if you get em in close enough and ya can shoot :D 7 and a halfs DO drop em clean.

Yep no special cartridges needed 28gm of 6.5 will do... Sometimes they look as though hovering but are moving so shoot in front that's where people go wrong IMHO. 36 gm of 5s waste of money get a lesson instead ! ;)