Bio Diesel.

Cranfield

Is bio diesel available in many areas around the country ?

My Toyota Surf will run on vegetable oil, but over recent years the price increases in the Supermarkets and at the Cash and Carry, have made it as cheap to buy diesel.

In New Romney (http://www.ryebiofuels.co.uk/) bio diesel is now available at the pump for £1.20 a litre, with a higher rated version (for newer diesels) at £1.28 a litre.

Diesel locally is £1.36/£1.37 , so that is a significant saving.

They don't sell it in containers, but you can take your own and have them filled.

This has got to be the future for diesel users.

Be very wary putting the stuff in newer diesiels, older cars no prob but newer cars is a bit of a grey area, especially if a warranty claim is ever made as it may be refused.

I know of a few people that have put bio diesiel in new cars and had major problems, last one was a 6 month old range rover sport, they used 2 tanks of bio fuel and then broke down when on the 3rd. Needed new injectors as they were clogged with a greasy deposit and burnt out also ruined the turbo. Not able to claim on the warranty as the fuel was to blame, end result was a bill for over £3000 :no:

Be very wary putting the stuff in newer diesiels, older cars no prob but newer cars is a bit of a grey area, especially if a warranty claim is ever made as it may be refused.

I know of a few people that have put bio diesiel in new cars and had major problems, last one was a 6 month old range rover sport, they used 2 tanks of bio fuel and then broke down when on the 3rd. Needed new injectors as they were clogged with a greasy deposit and burnt out also ruined the turbo. Not able to claim on the warranty as the fuel was to blame, end result was a bill for over £3000 :no:

What sort of clown can afford a new RR sport and then tries to save a few quid on fuel...........

New common rail diesel engines are a no no, quick way to blow the injectors up with thick black sludge :no:

But surely if you buy an expensive car and can't afford to run it you shouldn't have bought it in the first place :lol:

There are plenty of websites where people have experimented and put up their results with different cars and different blends, advice would be to buy whatever people found worked for them

derby telegraph carrys an advert £1 a litre but u have to buy 100 litres minimum and its only a mobile numba ,no address :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: .also the b,p garage an ashbourne road mackworth do it but no real price difference.my astra estate ran fine on it but my m8s citreon xsara diesel had the fuel injectors kill the engine sounds similar to the range rover .suppose its worth googling if any 1 else is using it in your model of car before u switch :good:what about a gas conversion its hell of a lot cheaper than diesel but i dont know what the actual conversion would cost

Edited by clakk

What sort of clown can afford a new RR sport and then tries to save a few quid on fuel...........

You would be surprised at the amount of "top end" cars we fix that the owners want us to try to repair on the cheap they are really reluctant to spend any money, but still expect it to be returned looking like a new car again.

People with the most money are the ones who are always trying to save a few quid :lol:

It wont be long before someone twigs on and starts producing new engines to the 'old' spec as to accept bio fuels. Failing that you could always trasnplant an older engine or just buy an older car? Its deffinately the future, esspecially for anyone that wont be driving round the city all day in hybrids.

Be very wary of putting bio-desiel in older cars the seals and diaphrams that come into contact with it perish and go gloopy....my mate is a boiler engineer and more and more he is getting called out for leaking pumps and perishished "o" rings etc....nothing wrong with biofuels except the seal technology needs to catch up...........

In New Romney (http://www.ryebiofuels.co.uk/) bio diesel is now available at the pump for £1.20 a litre, with a higher rated version (for newer diesels) at £1.28 a litre.

It's genius, they can potentially make money on the same product three times. Initial sale as edible, waste collection service and resale as a fuel.

I'd be interested to hear of any ill effects from long term useage.

Would I be right in thinking that you could run your car on off the shelf cooking oil and as long as you had the odd reciept for a recycled bio fuel it would be inpossible to prove you had been dodging fuel duty?

EDIT: Are the oil recycling firms obliged to dump a trace chemical in it so that a tank dip would prove you were running on legit oil?

Edited by ack-ack

Very true. But don't forget, the counting starts from when your discovered!

LOL, it's better than that! You self declare your usage. If you keep a log of how much oil you use, that's all that is required. If there's a huge black hole in it, then it's up to customs and excise to prove you have used more!

I ran my Pajero on waste veg oil for a couple of years, it's about to be sold but is still mechanically spot on. No detrimental effects that I can discern.

I am in the process of setting up a bio-diesel processsor, this converts the WVO into proper bio-diesel. Processing cost is about 17p a litre and I've been getting WVO at between 20 and 60p a litre. This doesn't take my time into account.

You lose about 5% MPG on bio, but it's still way cheaper, you do need to ensure that you are making the best quality bio you can though. There has been some **** sold on ebay in the past which has been poorly converted and still containing too high a level of unconverted oil.

LOL, it's better than that! You self declare your usage. If you keep a log of how much oil you use, that's all that is required. If there's a huge black hole in it, then it's up to customs and excise to prove you have used more!

I ran my Pajero on waste veg oil for a couple of years, it's about to be sold but is still mechanically spot on. No detrimental effects that I can discern.

I am in the process of setting up a bio-diesel processsor, this converts the WVO into proper bio-diesel. Processing cost is about 17p a litre and I've been getting WVO at between 20 and 60p a litre. This doesn't take my time into account.

You lose about 5% MPG on bio, but it's still way cheaper, you do need to ensure that you are making the best quality bio you can though. There has been some **** sold on ebay in the past which has been poorly converted and still containing too high a level of unconverted oil.

I can see we're not going to run out of things to talk about when we get out and about. You sound like a post modern alchemist :lol:

Guest cookoff013

if i recall reading on a bio-forum, a chap registers he`s making biofuel, has the books and a vat form etc.

when he fills up his diesel van he uses sunflower bottles, but does it every night. he got "caught" as it was a tip off from a neighbour. they couldnt stop him and he found out who dobbed him in.

he makes it a point to be really suspicious when he`s filling up !

if you intend to go down the bio fuel route, dont get caught with your trousers down. can they confiscate the car?