Shotgun for 'er indoors

walshie

Mrs Walshie loves to shoot, but we haven't been able to find a gun that suits her.

She has tried mine and my son's 12g's but she says they are too heavy and kick too much. She has tried 20g's which are a better weight for her, but she says they kick even more (due to the lack of weight I guess).

She really would like an O/U but don't know where to start.

I would imagine a 20g with 21g or 24g carts might fit the bill or should we go down the 28 gauge route?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Oops! She told me to add that she isn't feeble, just small. Well SHE said petite, (I call it short).

Edited by walshie

Ok my advice is try her on a light short and well fitting 12g with 21g carts Frachi Falconet berretta ultralight or if she is very petite a 28g. Any gun with standard full size stock is likely too long and too low in the comb with the right length, height and a good recoil pad, kick eez or Isis it should be a different sensation.

Mrs Walshie loves to shoot, but we haven't been able to find a gun that suits her.

She has tried mine and my son's 12g's but she says they are too heavy and kick too much. She has tried 20g's which are a better weight for her, but she says they kick even more (due to the lack of weight I guess).

She really would like an O/U but don't know where to start.

I would imagine a 20g with 21g or 24g carts might fit the bill or should we go down the 28 gauge route?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Oops! She told me to add that she isn't feeble, just small. Well SHE said petite, (I call it short).

been through the same with my wife and she is now using my 20g with hull three crown 23g no7s, shes about 5'2" and suffers with a bad shoulder and she manages fine so anything around 21-24g should be ok. i got 6 different sorts and let her try them out.

try 20 gauge with light loads.if that still too much then 28g cracking gun BUT dont again over load the thing......16-19g plenty of shot.WOuld avoid .410 as although can shoot v.low loads/hardly feel it it is too tricky to actually connect with anything!Other importsnt bit is gun mount,ladies have parts which can get in the way are v sensitive to recoil if not mounted properly(oh er missus).....make sure butt is in shoulder pocket.

Go to bisley(as you are in surrey and they have wide selection),try a few guns,make sure instructor shows her where to seat the gun....28g probably the answer.

atb.

My Wife had the same problem, she tried with my 12g O/U but struggled with the weight after 50/100 cartridges through it, so we tried her with my dads selection of 12g O/U's & a few guns from the local club but still struggled with the weight. We shot at Shooting targets with a Browning Maxus Composite & she loved it, no problems with weight & recoil using both 24g & 28g. She bought a Browning Maxus a couple of weeks ago & is getting on great with it using 24g eleys!

Being a lady shot myself, we had the same problem with trying to find a lightweight gun that didn't kick like a mule.

Eventually settled in a 12g Yildiz. Extremely lightweight at about 6 3/4 pounds - I can shoot a round of sporting without shaking arm syndrome :lol: I had the toe and heel modified to give a much flusher fit in the shoulder and generally use 24g Blue Diamond or 21g XLR's with no problem at all.

Edited by Siberian Tiger

I had the toe and heel modified to give a much flusher fit in the shoulder and generally use 24g Blue Diamond or 21g XLR's with no problem at all.

That i believe is key, and have been told a sports bra will help (although i tried it and it was no better for me ??? )

A friend who is 5'5" ish and quite petite shoots a 686 28" MC with an adjustable comb and stock cut to take a kick eez pad.

Edited by HDAV

My partner started shooting with me about 6 years ago and started off with a Bereta Silver Pig 20 Bore and 24gram Eley Clay shells. After about 3 years she decided she needed more power (?? !!) and wanted a 12 Bore and after numerous tries of various Beretta's, Brownings etc including ultralights she eventually settled on a Caesar Guerini Flyaway with 28" Barrels (about 7.25lbs in weight). A quick visit to a Gunsmith for gunfit and about 1-1/2" Lopped off the length of pull, she shoots it well. Generally shoots 24 gram cartridges but is also fine with the lower recoil 28grm and Hulls seem to be good for that purpose. She too is only 5ft tall and 7-1/2 stone but manages it fine and says that she gets far less recoil with the 12 bore so is pleased she changed. .

I'll almost guarantee that if your missus sticks with shooting that in a couple of years time she will want to upgrade to a 12 bore and in my experience the length of pull / gunfit correction is key as this is what makes any gun comfortable to shoot no matter what the bore size.

Hope it helps

That i believe is key, and have been told a sports bra will help (although i tried it and it was no better for me ??? )

Is it just me who finds this a disturbing image? :lol::lol:

Seriously though it is a very good point, mine is always careful what she wear under neath as she managed to bruise her collar bone pretty good on a Bra strap when she first started.

I'll almost guarantee that if your missus sticks with shooting that in a couple of years time she will want to upgrade to a 12 bore and in my experience the length of pull / gunfit correction is key as this is what makes any gun comfortable to shoot no matter what the bore size.

Hope it helps

:good:

Also add there is some discipline required, lots of dry mounting of the gun (yes the gun not you!) to build the muscle memory and strength. I was advised to "mount the gun as slowly as possible 10 times a night facing the mirror, every night for 2 weeks before taking a shot", I was changing shoulder, but same applies to those new to shooting or without the upper body strength to just hoike the gun around.

I had a 26" barrelled renato gamba 12g with 21gram hull comp x for my girlfriend and she shot that (badly) but never complained about the weight or recoil. Fitted her a treat too as it was only 13" pull. Sold it a little bit back tho. But the hull comp x range are great soft carts

Mine uses a 20 bore don't know but I won't argue that a 63/4 pound gun with 21g cartridge recoils the same in 20 or 12 bore but she likes a 20 bore.

I think it is more fit that's key allow the butt and boobs to fit!!! Then weight to stop shaking dry mounting or other arm strengthing exercises will help.

Mine uses a 12 gauge lanber sporting delux shortend to 13" pull cuz shes tiny lol she uses hull comp x 21g carts for clays and hull high pheasant 30g for game she has one of those bra strap recoil pads and she has no probs at all !!!!