What fish is this?

steve_b_wales

While out in Sharm El Sheikh recently, I came across this fish basking in the shallow water. When I first saw it, it remained motionless, but as I approached it,it started to inflate itself. I even managed to stroke the back of it's head.

We identified many of the fish by means of a small booklet,but this one was not in it. Does anyone know what this particular fish is called?

FISH 11.jpg

FISH 22.jpg

FISH 33.jpg

While out in Sharm El Sheikh recently, I came across this fish basking in the shallow water. When I first saw it, it remained motionless, but as I approached it,it started to inflate itself. I even managed to stroke the back of it's head.

We identified many of the fish by means of a small booklet,but this one was not in it. Does anyone know what this particular fish is called?

Puffer

they have poisonous spines so you were lucky you didn't get hurt.

PELTY :good:

Edited by the pelt man

an interesting one :yes:

Yep don't touch or tread on one with bare feet. :huh:

I don't think it's a major drama to touch them, eating them is a whole different ball game.

"The bodies of Pufferfish are covered in a toxic mucus, if the skin or flesh is consumed it can be fatal to humans....When inflated, this Puffer's body has a soft prickly texture, which is harmless to the touch." - Saltwater Aquariums forum

It appears touching is OK, maybe avoid kissing though! :lol:

Edited by -Mongrel-

It is a white spotted or dog face puffer fish. I used to keep marine species and had a puffer. They are fine to touch but watch the teeth as the will take your finger clean off mine used to eat whole cockles and mussels shell on. He was such a character if you held the food above the water line he would thrash around the top and spit water at you until you dropped it in for him. Cracking fish.

It is a white spotted or dog face puffer fish. I used to keep marine species and had a puffer. They are fine to touch but watch the teeth as the will take your finger clean off mine used to eat whole cockles and mussels shell on. He was such a character if you held the food above the water line he would thrash around the top and spit water at you until you dropped it in for him. Cracking fish.

Eating cockles, biting fingers off, spitting...was it a Cockney? :oops: