Intrepid reels .

vole

I was born in the early 60s, I inherited an Intrepid Black Prince from my brother and caught countless trout with it . The new price was £1.25 . The Intrepid Boyo was 99p and was looked down on by us Black Prince users . Some spoilt kids had ABU Cardinals and Mitchells but most of us had Intrepids . I have just bought a Black Prince off Ebay to remind me of those days .

Any other Intrepid owners ?

The Boyo WAS blue and the handle was a poxy screw on . I remember that the drag facility on reels at the time was wasted as we just used to reel them straight in . I did secretly admire the silky smooth Mitchells but would never admit it . I did move on to a Ryobi after the Intrtepid .

We were just 10 year olds , you must have been a wage earner to have a Mitchell .

Nope, just got it from my grandparents as a b/day pressie. Now reading the posts above, I recall it was a Mitchell 206 not a 300. It was kind of the junior version. Sorry to brag needleesly. :blush:

Should have titled this thread "nostalgia".

Ahhhhh..them were the days. Thousands of gudgeon.

*Had to edit this. Now googled it and my next reel after the Black Prince was actually a Mitchell 324, not a 206*

I kept this until I got my 300, but was still outdone by my mate who got a 440. Flash ***.

Edited by walshie

Yup I had both the Boyo and the Black Prince once i had picked enough strawberries to buy them.

If you are talking Intrepid then their Sea Streak was a real shocker.

Talk about a blast from the past! Moved from the Sea Streak to a 9000 in 1969 - sold it to a mate - who wanted one NOW (we were in Germany and he wouldn't wait for one to be delivered so paid me the full new price) - which I always regretted as when I got a new one a couple of weeks later, they'd modified the handle grip which I thought a retrograde step - in 1971 and am still using it now.

I had the Intrepid Elite. I was able to look down on Black Prince owners and those with Boyos :lol:

And, like many others before me I then went to te Garcia Mitchell stable starting with a 320 then a 300 (which I still have) and a lot later was given a mint Match which I still use.

I was born in the early 60s, I inherited an Intrepid Black Prince from my brother and caught countless trout with it . The new price was £1.25 . The Intrepid Boyo was 99p and was looked down on by us Black Prince users . Some spoilt kids had ABU Cardinals and Mitchells but most of us had Intrepids . I have just bought a Black Prince off Ebay to remind me of those days .

you must have been spoilt!in the 70s i only ever had winfield reels :/

I still have a couple of Intrepid Surfcast somewhere, a huge spool by modern standards.

I had a Mitchell with the half bale arm, it had a super fine ratchet that oozed quality, but if you wound it in too fast the bale arm used to fly outwards and bash your fingers.

I had a black prince then moved on to a mitchell 208 and from that to a 440 match also had some 300s for pike fishing .

Had two intrepid surfcasts which were truly awful and I remember my father having to send off for new drive cogs after every session !!

I have small collection of 'vintage' fishing reels.

There is an old an Intrepid, not sure which one it is, I will dig it out later.

I have a few older Mitchells as well, for the simple reason like others on this thread I could never afford them when I was younger. We use to drool over the silky smooth Mitchell Match

I only ever use Mitchell 300's for coarse fishing and bought and rebuilt a 308 a couple of years ago to go with an ultra lightweight spinning rod I built from a fly rod blank.

Who needs ball bearings anyway :lol:

I still use a mitchell 300 for Mullet with the drag tuned and teflon washers I got my old man to machine a Mitchell 300 spool out of aluminium as I popped two plastic spools playing Pollack on light line. I also use the old style 300 pro but I had the Intrepid De Luxe

which had a very smooth drag at the moment I have an old 300 ( No line roller) on a six foot hollow glass rod with a through action for summer spinning. :good:

My username may give you a clue! ... I have collected mainly sea fishing multiplier reels for over 30 years, at it's peak I had over 200, now I'm down to around 25 plus or so, basically the ones I've wanted to keep. I also bought, sold and dealt in reels for many years. though not so much these days.

I've a few Intrepids, the most valuable and rarest being an Intrepid Seastreak Carbon as new. When new they had the annoying habit of the spool collapsing, so it wasn't uncommon to see an Intrepid sea streak "Carbon" with a bog standard Intrepid seastreak spool fitted "Red" ... as a reel they were quite clever though not to the extent that the competition followed suit. Most multipliers had a form of breaking system to limit overruns (Birdsnests) ...

As the spool rapidly accelerated to give line in the casting phase centrifugal force would throw out blocks to increase drag and limit the over zealous acceleration of the spool there by keep its revolving fast enough to give line at a controllable rate. The Intrepid Seastreak had a different design ... the design or at least idea was, that the faster the spool needed to revolve the faster it would let it, as the spool speed dropped, the more resistance the spool had to contend with to revolve ... well no one else decided to go down that route so maybe they knew something Intrepid hadn't latch onto! .. anyhow the Sea Streak Carbon is the one to go for, obviously if its mint and complete with box/packaging all the better.

Penn Mags such as the 970 came out and the Magnetic breaking age appeared (got one) and although it wasn't a great reel it wasn't a bad one ... Mitchells were good reels and so too Abu though gone down the pan now. The very best Abu reels were made in Italy not Sweden! ..

The British reel manufacturers are long gone Tatler (Christchurch ) ... Intrepid ... and the early Policansky, though South African for 18 months they were made in London England, well worth picking up if you come across one (got a few) .. anyhow sorry for droning on about reel I'm shut up lol ...

Every man and his dog had a Penn Sea Boy 

Yea not far wrong there mate, but!! ... seeing as so many bought these reels and then tried using them as casting reels on UK beaches, some good came from it ...

Some tried using them and quickly threw in the towel and gave up, but some persevered and mastered a bad reel, so when they eventually moved on to a proper casting reel they became good proficient casters ...

I very rarely beach cast anymore, I've boat fished for many a year and distance casting really isn't an issue as such, that said if I practiced all week I reckon I'd hit 200 yards using my Century and Abu 5500 mag ... (I'd probably be off work for a month with a bad back though, no fun getting old!) ... tightlines