recycling rain water

Paddy Galore!

was talking to a friend recently about being on a water meter and how to save a bit on flushing the loo. apart from putting a brick in there or changing the cistern, i was thinking about using a high level water butt contraption-me-jig, has anyone come up with a good system for this? if so was the cost worth it?

cheers,

gram.

A ibc(or as big as you can get in it) in the loft if it will take the weight from your gutter to it and from it a over flow then would need connecting to toilet somehow that's how I have seen toilets run before now. I don't know if it would save you a lot though as its not too expensive as it is.

A butt in the garden with a pump running off a battery charged with a solar panel.

Gram

Paraphrasing the commercial way.

Put very large tank on rainwater downspouts or better bury it in garden.

Small tank in loft with level switch and feed down to cistern

Cheap sump pump in tank worked of level switch in loft (Best put a filter in the line)

You will also need a second tank off the mains with a ball valve feed to the first in case of rains failure (2 tanks to stop back feed and contamination of the first)

D

A ibc(or as big as you can get in it) in the loft if it will take the weight from your gutter to it and from it a over flow then would need connecting to toilet somehow that's how I have seen toilets run before now. I don't know if it would save you a lot though as its not too expensive as it is.

A butt in the garden with a pump running off a battery charged with a solar panel.

I'm interested to know how you get the water to run uphill from the gutter to the IBC (or tank) in the loft?

I'm interested to know how you get the water to run uphill from the gutter to the IBC (or tank) in the loft?

A pump

Ok, so what triggers the pump to start pumping?

It can't be a float switch as there's no sump for the float switch and pump to sit in.

Can't be flow switch because as far as I can ascertain nobody makes one for gutter.

Maybe it runs continously, hoping for rain to cool its smoking bearings...or maybe it's a self lubing, self priming pump. Would that not cost more to run than you save on the water meter though?

Nope, still can't see how this is supposed to work. :hmm:

Edited by -Mongrel-

Personally I'd divert the water into a holding tank with a submersible pump, the pump outlet then connects to the wc overflow.

Pump operation is controlled by a flow switch with built in pressure vessel. The pressure vessel is charged by the pump as the ballvalve closes on the WC. This pressure then creates sufficient water movement when the ballvalve opens (due to flushing,) to trigger the flow switch and set the pump running again, the process then repeats.

Google 'Grey water recycling systems' for ALL of the answers and systems that will actually work.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Yes thanks for that Mong.

You could have a small tank outside with a float switch and submersible pump. That's what I have on my yacht, that also pumps water up hill.Got the idea from a few houses that have it around my area and if Gram wants me to get me the correct plans for it he has my phone number I am just throwing in some ideas. Although like already said it's tough getting a ibc up the stairs haha.

Try adding a little humour into your next belittling post as it shows intelligence rather then coming across as a internet terd.

Edited by yankeedoodlepigeon

What's wrong with the Canadian solution?

If its yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down! By the time you have done the "grey water system" the pay back will take years, worth doing on a new build perhaps.

naff all is the answer on out meter we're about £200 a year all up half of that is sewerage rates as well, really its not worth worrying about at all

as for the IBC in the loft good idea, for a start how on earth do you get it there, secondly best check the load bearing capacity before it comes through the ceiling when half full :oops:

hi peeps, thanks for all the replies, just to answer a cost question, when we first went on the meter our water rate bill was halved, since then it's started to creep up again. the thing is, every weekend we have all the kids over and/or friends, they all like to flush after doing their business as do we. so that's seven extra people, going to the loo at least 2 or 3 times which equates to a lot of water, i've got a redundant tank in the loft :good: but the loo is downstairs :rolleyes:

so i was thinking of just running a 150ltr water butt from the main roof and making a direct feed into the cistern with an inline filter, there's room in the cistern for a second slimline filler if i change the flush unit, so i could keep the mains connected incase we have a drought. :good:

hi peeps, thanks for all the replies, just to answer a cost question, when we first went on the meter our water rate bill was halved, since then it's started to creep up again. the thing is, every weekend we have all the kids over and/or friends, they all like to flush after doing their business as do we. so that's seven extra people, going to the loo at least 2 or 3 times which equates to a lot of water, i've got a redundant tank in the loft :good: but the loo is downstairs :rolleyes:

so i was thinking of just running a 150ltr water butt from the main roof and making a direct feed into the cistern with an inline filter, there's room in the cistern for a second slimline filler if i change the flush unit, so i could keep the mains connected incase we have a drought. :good:

if its the down stairs bog , no problem with havind a elevatored bot conected via the ball valve . with a rain diverter in it should always be full . unless the bog is at the front then it might look odd .

thinking about it , its easy , turn isolator off on feed , put a tee in with another isolator , conect to water butt via flexi pipe through wall and job done . if you get a dry spell turn isolators off and on and back to mains . job done . when we doing it ??

thinking about it , its easy , turn isolator off on feed , put a tee in with another isolator , conect to water butt via flexi pipe through wall and job done . if you get a dry spell turn isolators off and on and back to mains . job done . when we doing it ??

hi mate, as soon as i sort out my tax and get a damn refund :good: i'll have a look around for a suitable tank.

Cheapest method :good: Go next door :lol:

the cat already does that bud :lol: although i have been known to take a tinkle on peoples verges on the way back from the pub :good:

Edited by GRAM71