Yet another Insurance Ripoff

jacksdad

Last year my Isuzu Trooper 3.0TD insurance was £480 fully comp, reasonable price thinks I.

Now its nearly due for renewal, so knowing I've now got another years NCD I rang them up to get the nice new lower price............

"Its OVER £3000.00 sir!"

PARDON!!!!!!!!!

"We've reclassified our areas and you now live in a high risk area" :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just how the hell am I supposed to pay that much, yet another expense added to my already battered walet: well if thats the best I can find the Trooper will have to go, so might as well sell off my air rifles and cancel my Sec 1 application...not much use to me without the 4WD :no:

Yep.

What they said, shop around, you'll find it cheaper.

You might also want to consider looking at 3rd party only.

The risky area might not be relevant then.

I know that sometimes fully comp is cheaper than 3rd party due to the vagaries of the system, and sometimes not.

But it's worth looking.

Oh... and if the Trooper is a second car it's worth looking at Admiral multi car.

They do all of mine and the Mrs cars under one premium.

But they keep seperate policies for no claims reasons - if you see what I mean.

Edited by Robl

If premiums really are that steep and, the shooting bus is a 2nd car, be sure to ask about 2nd car policies. I saved a packet on mine when I mentioned that I didn't need the truck insured for commuting and that I'd be doing less than 8K miles per year.

its all them muppets banging whip lash claims in it will be soon to expensive to Evan own a car might have to find sum land round local bus route

True dat!

Off on a tangent then for a moment. Our lass works at a brokers and that really is the main thing that's pushed up premiums over recent years. One of the coaches that they insure had a minor ding in a car park. Little more than a nudge into a parked car... 50ish whiplash claims submitted by the passengers (most of whom represented by the same ambulance chasing firm) and, because they were all for less than the insurance company no-challenge-threshold (I think it was £1500 per person), they all got paid without a question ever being asked, even though the claims were clearly utter gash.

Edited by Penfolio

I'm already with Sureterm, they are the cheapest for 4x4 policies, its already on a no commuting, 3000 mile per year limit policy :blink:

As stated, its due to the number of bent compo claims our Friends of other Faiths make......

I will try round and also look at a multicar policy: I have a Renault trafic for Jack, its a wheelchair accessable vehicle, got a lift on the back, I've added limo tints for his privacy, and stuck nice alloys on it, he wants a good looking ride like all other 14 year olds!

So, its not classed as a van, even though it was converted before being registered, even the log book classes it as Wheelchair Accessable Vehicle (WAV), but to the insurance robbers its just a modified van, fully comp, £1600 and I'm 49 years old with 2 years NCD, (was 9 on a trader policy but thats been conned off me as well!)

Then there's my motorbike, the most dangerous form of vehicle on the road. Yamaha 650, on classic policy, but I can ride ANY bike I don't own.....£113 fully comp! :angry:

Just how do the insurance conmen dream up the prices?

I've found that it's best to shop around every year, as most companies have "special introductory" offers to pull you in, and play one off against another. If you stay with them after that first year is up they will generally hike up the premiums. By doing this I paid £159 fully comp. on a Yeti with Direct Line. Happy days.

Edited by Elmer Fudd.

Well, finally got sorted! I've got a basic Trader policy, buy/sell only, no repairs, demos or recovery work, cars up to trade value £5k each, fully comp and including my own vehicles, £2455 :yahoo:

So I'm hanging up my Plumbing gear and going back to trading cars for a living, happy days!

Then there's my motorbike, the most dangerous form of vehicle on the road. Yamaha 650, on classic policy, but I can ride ANY bike I don't own.....£113 fully comp! :angry:

I think it's because you can't potentially knock down a house with a motorbike like you can with a car, neither does the whole "I've got whiplash, £££££ please" hold much water when a bike a fraction of a weight of a car crashes into them. I pay about £113/yr on my 500cc (top speed about 110, ride other bikes, etc), and I'm only 23. I take great delight telling all my car driving friends shelling out many hundereds, if not, thousands per yer that :lol: :lol:

I assume the OP has shopped around now to be happy to pay that price, and as many have said, never stay with the same insurance company come renewal time, the only exception with me is this year on the bike, only because the renewal price was about the same as everyone else

Should try Brentacre and Adrian flux. Flux insured my 4.6 range rover under a grand with no ncb, and I live in the rough end of town!

Brentacre are a little bit more expensive, but you get unlimited mods free... And I don't fancy reeling off the list of mods on my vw camper every quote

I'm already with Sureterm, they are the cheapest for 4x4 policies, its already on a no commuting, 3000 mile per year limit policy blink.gif

As stated, its due to the number of bent compo claims our Friends of other Faiths make......

I will try round and also look at a multicar policy: I have a Renault trafic for Jack, its a wheelchair accessable vehicle, got a lift on the back, I've added limo tints for his privacy, and stuck nice alloys on it, he wants a good looking ride like all other 14 year olds!

So, its not classed as a van, even though it was converted before being registered, even the log book classes it as Wheelchair Accessable Vehicle (WAV), but to the insurance robbers its just a modified van, fully comp, £1600 and I'm 49 years old with 2 years NCD, (was 9 on a trader policy but thats been conned off me as well!)

I just got a quote from Sureterm and they were far dearer than the company I already use for my work van. Four Counties is the one I use.

sorry to say the insurance companies are failing to protect their customers. The insurance companies know full fine well that there is that much fraud going on with non existant injuries and the solicitors hiking up their prices to cover no win no fee, the insurance companies generally just cave in and pay up without putting up a fight as they dont wont to loose in court, so instead they target the easy target as they know it's a legal requirment so open season on the customer. A prime example is how many of us have had, renewal quotes that have been silly prices, but phone them up and complain and tell them your not paying it, you get hold on sir " I will see if we can give you a better price " and hey presto " yes sir I can do it for £xxx " my normal resonce to that is well why did you send me a over inflated price in the first place ? why was the company you work for obviously trying to rip me off because you have just given me a better price to retain my custom ?. Why didnt the company give me the best price initially ?, to me it sounds like fraud

its nothing to do with injuries in this case its simply the company not wanting your business so pricing accordingly. They do change the type of customers they want based on claims history across their books but there is no was whiplash claims are pushing the average up to 3k that has another reason behind it. Shop about other companies will be looking for your customer profile and will quote you happy so to speak.