Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the lack of responses, i took the family for a couple of days on the broads... Lots of fishing and cruising! :)

Anyway, Nitro powder creates much higher breach pressures than black powder. Nitro burns almost instantaneously all in the breach whereas black powder burns all the way down the barrel creating a more gradual increase in pressure and acceleration (in relative terms anyway) Also as a result, nitro powder would blow the pattern on such a large bore...
From my point of view, pressure is one concern, but i want it to be 'authentic', the huge cloud of smoke and flame coming out of the barrel is pretty impressive too! :D

When i got back from the broads my new towbar had arrived for the L200 so i fitted that ready for the weekend, hopefully we will get out and do some more 'sea trials' (and bass fishing)

I've got a 350 mile round trip tomorrow to Warwickshire to pick up the black powder... (the guy who sells it is away so if i don't get it tomorrow it'll be a month until i can test it, so a drive it is!)

Hi Wildfowler

If I may presume to make a couple of observations ,,,,

1 A simple washer/springseat slid on the firing pin to butt up against the shoulder would stop any size of spring riding up the firing pin as it has in your previous pictures is an easy add on .

2 Would not a tee handle two finger hook cocking pull be more practical than a relatively small gnurled knob ? given that you may well be trying to cock this monster on a cold wet day on the marsh , it may well be more "agricultural" looking but it would offer a positive grip !!

harrypen

Edited by harrypen

How about carting one about fully loaded (minus the cap) in a Passat Estate. When I went out a good few years ago the guy I went with loaded the gun at home.

MLs are normally loaded whilst moored up so you can do it on dry land. I have heard of people pulling the gun into the boat so the muzzle is resting on the gun crutch to reload but that sounds very risky to me!!!

Nice to see you've managed some family time and some work on the weapon.

What shot size will you be loading?

I've just placed the order for some steel in B for testing, etc and some ITX in BB for actual fowling...

I might load some ITX in no. 1 depending on how the testing goes... But at least with BBs there shouldn't be many cripples!

will you be testing with lead ?

Deershooter

No, not unless the steel is a complete failure. I did think about it but I'd never be able to shoot on he marsh with it so it seemed a bit pointless but it is a LOT cheaper than ITX for testing purposes.

The hope is that I can get a load that allows me to use steel as an effective shot for on the marsh.

So I'll test a few shots with steel and see how it goes and then one of ITX to pattern it. If it patterns ok, I'll start with ITX on the marsh and work in the meantime to perfect the steel load (different powder measures, shot cup design, wads, etc...)

Yes, I'll make a wooden mandrel with 2 ends, one for making paper/ card cases an the other to make the shot cups. It won't be a complex thing just cerial box card to keep the shot away from the barrel. (I will of course post pictures)

I started making the punch at the weekend and will finish it tomorrow night. I need to get some thick felt carpet underlay or something to make the wads. I'll get some oakum too so I can see which produces the best pattern and which is hardest hitting

Edited by Wildfowler

Hundreds of hours... More than I care to think about to be honest... But it's been fun for the majority of it, and when I've got annoyed with it I've just left it alone rather than rush it to get it finished, hence it taking so long! :)

Take it you must have a pub near by to cool the temper when needed :) its a great job , I got word of a punt , gun & trailer up for sale the other day & I would love a crack at it but am just not in the dosh these days so I am out for the moment, its down on the east coast of England I am told . :good: