Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wildfowler,

I'm IMPRESSED. ========> BEAUTIFUL punt and BIG gun, too.

(If I was already not planning to build a 2-man gun-punt and a 40MM bore muzzleloader (to use in the nation to which I'm soon retiring. = Breech-loading shotguns, larger than 11 gauge are UNLAWFUL there BUT single-shot, black powder punt-guns of up to 40MM bore and 3.5M in length are lawful for tidal-area water-fowling, your writing would have influenced me to start thinking about building one.)

Nonetheless, a few questions:

1. What is the length, breadth and freeboard of the punt?

2. Have you drawn up a set of plans for the punt, which are available for purchase?

3. Have you contacted the BBC to see if they would do a mini-series on your next version of the punt & gun?

(If you have NOT, you should. Our PBS would, I most strongly suspect, make you a film-star, on "our side of the pond".)

AND

4. WHEN is your book coming out, such that I can purchase a copy?

yours, satx

Superb, absolutely superb :yes::good:

The vids all link to the 'wadding shot' though, but I found the half & full load ones on youtube.

I was going to link them up, but thought that was a bit unfair...

Bet you're well chuffed anyways...

I know...?!? I realised when I was in bed last night and been out fowling all morning... I'll sort it out when I get a chance... Unless you can get them to embed...?!?

Absolutely fantastic, well done, what a sense of achievement you must feel! I actually realised my pulse was beating faster as I started to watch the firing vid's... I joined PW after your project had started, and it took me ages to plough through it all, but it has been a brilliant read, I have enjoyed every moment. Thank you, and well done again!

ATB,

Mike.

Many many congratulations wildfowler :good: this has been a really great thread & I wish you the best of luck when you take it out , just one question though why is that board dripping spots of blue blood ? :lol: you should have used red paint to mark the shot holes , unless of course you are a republican & blue blood was the better option :oops: .

ps & don't for get that book we want from you ? :yes:

ATB Pole Star

Thanks for all the feedback... sorry the write up was a bit brief last night but it had been a long day...!

In the last video you can see a scale stick, the slow motion section shows there is recoil of approximately 100-150mm (black markers are 100mm apart). The actual breaching rope has far less stretch than the one used but i was surprised at the amount of recoil for only 12oz of shot.

Edited to say, i think the videos are linked up properly now...

I still cant get them to embed within the post though???

Edited by Wildfowler

wildfowler,

I'm IMPRESSED. ========> BEAUTIFUL punt and BIG gun, too.

(If I was already not planning to build a 2-man gun-punt and a 40MM bore muzzleloader (to use in the nation to which I'm soon retiring. = Breech-loading shotguns, larger than 11 gauge are UNLAWFUL there BUT single-shot, black powder punt-guns of up to 40MM bore and 3.5M in length are lawful for tidal-area water-fowling, your writing would have influenced me to start thinking about building one.)

Nonetheless, a few questions:

1. What is the length, breadth and freeboard of the punt?

2. Have you drawn up a set of plans for the punt, which are available for purchase?

3. Have you contacted the BBC to see if they would do a mini-series on your next version of the punt & gun?

(If you have NOT, you should. Our PBS would, I most strongly suspect, make you a film-star, on "our side of the pond".)

AND

4. WHEN is your book coming out, such that I can purchase a copy?

yours, satx

Overall length is 21' 6'', beam is 3'7''. Free board depends on the mass of the gun and occupants. This design is intended for 2 people of c.12 stone and a gun up to 130lbs. with me and the family on board it has c.4-5'' free board (which is quite a lot for a punt but allows it to be out in rougher weather.)

For a gun of your size you would want it the full size double punt, i.e. 22'5'' long, beam 3'11''

I have plans for a couple of sizes but not ones that I would say anyone could build to easily (not quite IKEA style!) however, i am working on it! I have had a lot of people contact me and ask about plans so I am in the process of creating a website with the design and build process detailed and it will have sets of plans available on there...

As for the BBC... I don't think they are the type of organisation that would have any type or series focusing on shooting, let alone manufacturing firearms at home! It would be superb to do though!

Thanks to you guys, even my wife is nagging me now to write a book! :) I only ever posted the build on here as i thought it would help some others, i didn't think it would get as much interest as it has...

SO.... IF i were to write it, where would you guys expect it to start, what content would you want and how long would it need to be to make you really want a copy...

Writing is not my forte, so IF I were to write a book, i'd like to think it would sell a few copies to justify the time writing it.

Edited by Wildfowler

Wildfowler,

Since you asked, my suggestions are as follows:

1. Don't guess what the BBC will/will not say about your project. = ASK.

(I suspect that you're incorrect. - Even as "anti-gun" and perhaps even as "anti-self defense" as our Public Broadcasting System IS, I believe that they would "grab your project with both hands", as a TV show. - Only a raving lunatic or a completely clueless fool of the first rank would think that your "big gun" is a danger to anything/anybody except a few waterfowl.)

2. IF you are rebuffed by BBC, take your project to PBS, as shows out of the UK are extremely popular here "across the pond". Especially if you did another "big gun" as a muzzleloader (muzzleloaders are NOT "deadly weapons" under US "gun control laws", even including muzzle-loading cannons & mortars. = I know a man in West Virginia that has built a howitzer that fires BOWLING BALLS & it need NOT even be "registered" with law enforcement or anyone else.), I believe that PBS or one of our "private cable TV channels" (and perhaps "in harness with" WOODEN BOAT MAGAZINE) would do a series on building a gunning punt & the punt-gun.

3. Personally, I'd like a plan for a 22-24 foot punt that has a dagger-board & a "dipping lug" sail, of a sort similar to those "championed by " our great/late boat designer PHILLIP C. BOLGER and that is easily "demountable" near the actual "hunting area".

(A 22-24 foot punt would be "challenging" to row/paddle for any great distance.)

Further, such a plan should be amenable to "tack and tape" for those of us (I'm FAR from having your talents, tools & experience. = I'm a "dabbler", who does "do it yourself projects" because I have much more time than money.) who are far less talented at designing/woodworking/machining/metalworking than you obviously are. ====> Perhaps you should consider doing 2 sets of plans: a one-man and a 2-man gun-punt.

(The larger of the 2 plans, I believe, should include a "sail plan".)

and

4. Thinking on the proposed book, I really advise a 2-part book, including:

1. Your story of involvement with "punting for waterfowl", commentary on building your boat, information/photos of your family & your experiences in building techniques & commentary thereupon

and

2. What we "members of the forces" would call a "tech manual" that would give VERY detailed directions, photographs, drawings and EXACT dimensions of all parts. = Such a technical manual should have as simple & "easy to follow" directions as BUILDING THE WEEKEND SKIFF by Richard Butz & John Montague has.

(Persons who have never built a birdhouse have successfully built a WEEKEND SKIFF and learned to sail/row in the skiff that they built.)

just my OPINION.

yours, satx

Edited by satx78247

I know...?!? I realised when I was in bed last night and been out fowling all morning... I'll sort it out when I get a chance... Unless you can get them to embed...?!?

I can't embed video either, even as a test :/

I just felt as it was such an important event it was better fixed by you than me stealing your thunder...

I can't embed video either, even as a test :/

I just felt as it was such an important event it was better fixed by you than me stealing your thunder...

Ha ha... The links are fixed now but a bit disappointed they don't display properly...

Thanks for checking that it isn't just me though!

Wildfowler,

Since you asked, my suggestions are as follows:

1. Don't guess what the BBC will/will not say about your project. = ASK.

(I suspect that you're incorrect. - Even as "anti-gun" and perhaps even as "anti-self defense" as our Public Broadcasting System IS, I believe that they would "grab your project with both hands", as a TV show. - Only a raving lunatic or a completely clueless fool of the first rank would think that your "big gun" is a danger to anything/anybody except a few waterfowl.)

2. IF you are rebuffed by BBC, take your project to PBS, as shows out of the UK are extremely popular here "across the pond". Especially if you did another "big gun" as a muzzleloader (muzzleloaders are NOT "deadly weapons" under US "gun control laws", even including muzzle-loading cannons & mortars. = I know a man in West Virginia that has built a howitzer that fires BOWLING BALLS & it need NOT even be "registered" with law enforcement or anyone else.), I believe that PBS or one of our "private cable TV channels" (and perhaps "in harness with" WOODEN BOAT MAGAZINE) would do a series on building a gunning punt & the punt-gun.

3. Personally, I'd like a plan for a 22-24 foot punt that has a dagger-board & a "dipping lug" sail, of a sort similar to those "championed by " our great/late boat designer PHILLIP C. BOLGER and that is easily "demountable" near the actual "hunting area".

(A 22-24 foot punt would be "challenging" to row/paddle for any great distance.)

Further, such a plan should be amenable to "tack and tape" for those of us (I'm FAR from having your talents, tools & experience. = I'm a "dabbler", who does "do it yourself projects" because I have much more time than money.) who are far less talented at designing/woodworking/machining/metalworking than you obviously are. ====> Perhaps you should consider doing 2 sets of plans: a one-man and a 2-man gun-punt.

(The larger of the 2 plans, I believe, should include a "sail plan".)

and

4. Thinking on the proposed book, I really advise a 2-part book, including:

1. Your story of involvement with "punting for waterfowl", commentary on building your boat, information/photos of your family & your experiences in building techniques & commentary thereupon

and

2. What we "members of the forces" would call a "tech manual" that would give VERY detailed directions, photographs, drawings and EXACT dimensions of all parts. = Such a technical manual should have as simple & "easy to follow" directions as BUILDING THE WEEKEND SKIFF by Richard Butz & John Montague has.

(Persons who have never built a birdhouse have successfully built a WEEKEND SKIFF and learned to sail/row in the skiff that they built.)

just my OPINION.

yours, satx

I had a look on the BBC website an they only accept viewer suggestions for certain departments, none of which suit this. I also had a look on the PBS site (as much out of interest as I'd not heard of it before) I couldn't see any way of contacting them for that purpose...?

Thanks for the feedback on the book, I'll keep it in mind IF I set about writing one... Maybe the winter nights after an early start fowling will help me find some inspiration to actually sit down and do it! :)

As for the book, I think a bit of history about how you got into shooting,

Your obvious fascination for punt gunning and then from the conception of the idea to the actual build pics included!

2parts would be fine with the test firing final assembly and actual first shots on the estuary in the second book!

I would defiantly buy this book! I may even buy a copy for my mate! So that's 2 copy's, gotta be worth it already!

Cracking thread and I really enjoy it!

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I am genuinely disappointed when I check this thread and there is nothing new:-) not that I'm obsessed or anything:-)

Edit for spelling!

Edited by Darno

Guess it's quite a lot of work to write a book about this amazing build but it would be a fantastic legacy to leave. I mean just imagine the joy of your great grandchildren reading it and their sense of pride of your acomplishment etc. My grandfather used to make TV's for his neighbours out of surplus Shackleton bomber radar screens, sadly he passed away years ago but I really wish he'd written a book about that. Anyway I'm sure your book would sell well, I'd have three copies off you for starters :)