Big Cat Sightings?

^mimic^

Trained cat hounds are probably a wee bit hard to find here in the UK. My idiotic Lab finds even the simplest of tasks very mentally taxing, so I'd be surprised if it was of any use when confronted with Tiddles. Even a massively ambitious ESS would probably baulk at the task of dealing with a snarling, spitting ball of muscle.

Use enough gun, as Ruark said? In fact, I'd recommend a GPMG or a Browning .50 in this situation. Take no chances.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH, I know of someone (guy who owns army surplus store) that shot a Deer with a .22 Rapid FAC 54lb. The dear dropped without so much as a twitch. Now this was the most irresponsible thing I've heard and I told him so. Irresponsible, illegal and ****** stupid, but it happened proving a Deer can be taken with 54lb.

The point is, if a 54lb rapid will drop a Deer then a rimmy would kill a Cat no probs.

Still a ****** stupid thing to do, after all a Deer won't rip your throat out. The main thing is keep to the law and correct size gun for whatever your shooting.

As far as big cat in countryside? Nah, sounds like garbage to me.

Col

I know some of the comments on this thread are made in jest, but lets just get a few things clear.

According to Google (I had to look it up, because I haven't ever seen a puma in the wild), a puma can weigh between 90 and 187 pounds and be up to 6ft long.

Its my opinion that anyone attempting to kill such an animal with a rimfire rifle, or a 12 gauge shotgun with No6, or any other legal shot size, at any range, would be an idiot.

TBH, I know of someone (guy who owns army surplus store) that shot a Deer with a .22 Rapid FAC 54lb. The dear dropped without so much as a twitch. Now this was the most irresponsible thing I've heard and I told him so. Irresponsible, illegal and ****** stupid, but it happened proving a Deer can be taken with 54lb.

The point is, if a 54lb rapid will drop a Deer then a rimmy would kill a Cat no probs.

Still a ****** stupid thing to do, after all a Deer won't rip your throat out. The main thing is keep to the law and correct size gun for whatever your shooting.

As far as big cat in countryside? Nah, sounds like garbage to me.

Col

here we go predictable ' i kill elephants with my gat gun' post :lol::lol::lol:

here we go predictable ' i kill elephants with my gat gun' post :lol::lol::lol:

Nah.....Biggest thing i've ever shot was Rabbits....................

..............was with a spud gun though. From the hip as well :lol:

not if it was coming at you , he would get the lot (go out trying)

Amen to that................. :lol:

I don't think people appreciate the speed that wounded big game will come at you. Put it this way, try stopping a small car with some no. 6's coming at you in a country lane at 40mph. :lol:

Since when were Pumas metal and weighed a ton?

FTS, I really doubt that a 12g #6 cartridge would stop a big cat. I really doubt it. Would you want to take that chance?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Pin, the cow issue is quite relevant: if there are big cats lurking out there, why aren't there regular reports of livestock being mauled? A puma could easily pull down a foal/calf, so why isn't the shooting/farming press riddled with reports of cat-related incidents. No half-eaten livestock (no, I don't mean foxes giving sheep lovebites...) No spoors/trails? No unquestionable photographic evidence of a large cat? Answer: because it's all *********.

You're a right goon :lol: Basically, you're saying that if you had a 12 bore and a puma running at your you'd just stand there like a lemon and let it maul you? I know what I'd be doing.

Also, theres been millions of sightings of Pumas in Plym bridge and Cann woods (well not millions but ya know, alot) I reckon I've even seen it myself. We were outs camping and I went off to get some fire wood and I swear I saw some kind of big cat. I thought it was a dog at first and got kinda worried as I hate the things, but it had a flat face, and now someone said their eyes reflect orange, which this animals did. It just sorta buggred off though, without doing anything. Nobody belived me though when I got back, even though I stayed in the tent with my knife all night :lol:

I don't think people appreciate the speed that wounded big game will come at you. Put it this way, try stopping a small car with some no. 6's coming at you in a country lane at 40mph. :lol:

since Ford started making them :lol:

ford-puma-r3q.jpg

since Ford started making them :lol:

ford-puma-r3q.jpg

I was hoping nobody would point that out :lol::lol::lol:

Unless you're within 15 yards with a full load of SG/SSG buck shot, you'll be minced by that cat. An ounce of No 6 will just annoy him. And that will ruin your afternoon.

and **** the cat off.

I think this Baldrick guy thinks these big cats are aliens or something with metal skin and can shoot lasers from their eyes.

I grew up on a farm in africa, and have shot Kudu, used to cull cattle, cull impala all with a .22 I agree a .22 is not the right calibre, but it was the way it was done out there, everything was shot in the head using super high velocity rounds (CCI Stingers).

A .22 will have no problem dropping a cat like a leopard or cheetah, not a lion, provided it is in the head .......but I must say, if you do not put that cat down.............good luck!!!!!

He would stand more chance getting up close and personal with a 12g, auto, filled up with only SG................when we used to go up on wounded leopard we used to use either a 5 shot shotty filled up with SG, a .357 or a .44mag..............

but either way he must write his will before hand

I compared it to a car because even if you did some serious damage to a car it wouldn't stop immediatly. The momentum would carry the car forward and run you down. They run on adrennilin and the small matter of a few no.6's will not have the hitting power to kill it instantly and it will carry on at you and spoil your day like Baldrick said. These animals are not conventional quarry that we are used to and are very heavily built and thick skinned. :lol:

Like most things if you are close enough a .22 in the head will kill it but if you put it slightly off target then its curtains. I wonder how easy it would be to hit something vital in the head if you are quivering like a leaf because of the suspense of a big predator especially if the thing is running at you. HMM small kill zone. :lol:

FM :lol:

Well I'm sure if it was running at you and you blasted it its face, or anywhere it'll hit the floor like a sack of, erm, grannys. A car is balanced all the time, but a cat running at you would go *** over *** it you shot it while it was running. Not that I've ever shot a cat or anything, I love cats!

:lol: Okey Dokey it`s story time, I was on a "course" and we had 2 operatives from a large zoo,one of which could have any toy he liked ie.the ULTIMATE open ticket !!!!!

However he was loathe to admit whether XXX calibre would kill XXXXXXX animal as there is enough evidence,as in the lion vid,a badly placed shot will get you savaged,possibly fatally.

His main story was about a keeper who when faced by a charging brown bear cooly let it get to 10 yds and shot it square in the face with a large cal rifle(.357 but can`t swear as it`s a few yrs ago)and had no time to reload when the round skidded along it`s muzzle,much to it`s annoyance,and harmlessly into the distance never to be seen again.The keeper backing him up emptied 3 rounds into the boiler room and Mr. Bear is past tense..............but so is Mr.Keeper :lol:

It`s ILLEGAL

It`s IMMORAL

It`s STUPID.......................... :lol: DON`T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT :lol:

This topic was covered in the Shooting Times a few months ago. The consensus from the legal experts (BASC et al ) was that, although there is no legislation protecting feral big cats in the UK, it would be illegal to shoot one with a rifle unless (a) the animal was listed on your FAC (unlikely) or (b ) you were shooting in self defence. Personally I think that as soon as one of these (alleged) animals caught wind of you it would stay well out of your way and a reciprocating attitude might be well advised. :lol:

I covered this thread with my grandfather, a former PH. He nearly had a heart attack laughing when he read all this.

In the hilariously unlikely situation that you're charged by an angry puma in the English countryside, I am (very) reliably informed that are in deep **** if you have a go at it with anything other than a double rifle loaded with soft-noses, backed up by a competent fellow hunter/guide armed with something like a .375H&H.

Whilst a puma is obviously smaller, and generally less grumpy and vicious than a leopard/jaguar, it would still make light work of the average Shot in the English countryside if it was cornered and already riddled with airgun pellets, 22rf rounds and #6 shot.

Once again.....If anyone is going out delibertly looking for a big cat, use the correct equiptment. Take the time and import a pair of cat hounds, or invite someone from another country that has them, and take a proper rifle. The 65 x 55 will drop a cat nicely when bayed up.

Oh and just remember the odd one of these cats will hunt you back.

NTTF