Ideal choke for Clay gun?

Frenchieboy

I don't know if there is such a thing as I am sure that there will be many different opinions on this one!

I am thinking about getting a cheap Over and Under to use purely for clay shooting rather than having to use my "Rough Shooting and PSG" Section 1 Breda - I know of a couple of Baikal 610s for sale at the right sort of money. one is choked at half and half (Which I quite like the sounds of) and I am waiting to find out about the other.

My question is:-

What would be your idea of the "ideal chokes" for a clay shooting with an Over and Under and why would you chose that particular choke combination above any other choke combination please guys?

I use 1/2 & 1/2 in o/u and 1/4 in my auto. But i am no expert,1/2 & 1/4 seem to be the norm.

I stick to the same chokes in the gun to gain confidense,all the changing around just complicates maters and makes me think to much. Would use 1/2 in the auto but use steel in it and it prefers 1/4 so i leave it in for the lead clay loads.

Edited by Albert 888

Thanks for the comments guys! It seems that an O/U at half and half should do the job then, as long as I have the gun pointed at the right place - Sometimes easier said than done with me! I'm not looking to be super competitive, just trying to improve on my current standing with our club so the second hand Baikal 610 should do me for now.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Easy, open choke until you start to hit then if you want to get better tighten it up until you consistantly hit with full. If you use a number 8 on open choke you will (or should) hit nearly everything but where is the challenge in that?

For me I use an old SxS so it is fixed at 1/4 and 1/2 but I mainly shoot live quarry so I like to stick with what I use in the field.

Frenchieboy , The conventional wisdom is for a fixed choke sporter for an average human ( ie your surname isn't Digweed or you posess more capitals A's in your clasification than an ebay feedback) is 1/4 & 1/2, you may find yourself missing or vapourising the near targets with the half choke barrel though

Having the bottom barrel bored out to 1/4 if you wanted to later would only cost ?£40 and would probably add most of that to what the gun was worth as it would make the measurements more "mainstream"

Easy, open choke until you start to hit then if you want to get better tighten it up until you consistantly hit with full. If you use a number 8 on open choke you will (or should) hit nearly everything but where is the challenge in that?

For me I use an old SxS so it is fixed at 1/4 and 1/2 but I mainly shoot live quarry so I like to stick with what I use in the field.

I suppose the challenge would be to shoot at a moving target more than 10 yards away!!!!!

Potter

In my OU I used 1/4 & 1/2 for game and clay !

When I returned to my Semi and pump I was using 1/4 for clays and half for game but decided that for better consistancy I should stick with one choke so am now using 1/2 for for everything so cartridge is the only variable ! The half give me better breaks on clays and I am just waiting to try it on the game now ! Just need pigeons to play ball !