kent vellocity rubbish

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot a awful lot of pigeons with kent cartridges and never have had any issues , a puff of feathers only tells you that you have hit feathers, a bird falling from the sky says you have hit meat !

i can appreciate what your saying but i shot these directly above me i didnt skim thats for sure. i saw the shot impact on its chest. hence the feathers. and i often get feathers flying, apart from sunday 95% off what i shoot is dead before it hits the ground. its first time iv used em and first time iv hit and not at least nocked em down if not a kill. the latter always being my aim. what can i say a change of cartridge on same day and there dropping again at the same distaxes and further

I have shot a awful lot of pigeons with kent cartridges and never have had any issues , a puff of feathers only tells you that you have hit feathers, a bird falling from the sky says you have hit meat !

i can appreciate what your saying but i shot these directly above me i didnt skim thats for sure. i saw the shot impact on its chest. hence the feathers. and i often get feathers flying, apart from sunday 95% off what i shoot is dead before it hits the ground. its first time iv used em and first time iv hit and not at least nocked em down if not a kill. the latter always being my aim. what can i say a change of cartridge on same day and there dropping again at the same distances and further

I used kents on pigeons with good effect and have shot pigeons with no 9 skeet cartridges in the past( when I used to go out with my father who did alot of skeet). Most cartridges will kill pigeons stone dead out ta 40yds, further with a bit of choke. Lots of feathers and nought on the deck kills the confidence and we have all been there, even the indestructable Mr Digweed no doupt. But it won't be velocity if the report is normal, you will need a mirror to see the problem.

That i a very generic list. I know that a lot of Spanish and Italian shot sizes are only 1/2 a size bigger than the UK - RC, Nobelsport and Rio, for example.

think i was beaten before i started with the kents. theres alot of stigma about kent velocity. i dont know 1 person who likes them. what does that say about them?? i got em because they were cheap. and they leave a damn mess in the barrels lots of flakey **** down em

Well, i've shot thousands of Kent velocity, never had a problem with performance. I don't know anyone who doesn't like them. As said before, if you're having problems, look at your own technique first.

The GB Pigeon extreme may be a good cartridge but the price is huge ! And 34 gram seems alot for pigeon ! But i recon would be a good cartridge for the black stuff !

GB clear pigeon (30-32 gram 6`s for pigeon is plenty IMO) Also Eley High flyer in 6 32gram is good ! But I am tempted to try the 7.5 on pigeon.

But I also belive a 6 isnt enough for a duck, should be 5`s or 4`s for duck !

I was talking to a chap in the week who uses 28gram 7.5s for pheasant happily and he says he uses them to good effect because the birds on his shoot dont get any real height ! Personally I would only use a 6 on game but each to there own ! If it works thats the most important bit !

That i a very generic list. I know that a lot of Spanish and Italian shot sizes are only 1/2 a size bigger than the UK - RC, Nobelsport and Rio, for example.

Well, i've shot thousands of Kent velocity, never had a problem with performance. I don't know anyone who doesn't like them. As said before, if you're having problems, look at your own technique first.

if its my technique thats to pot how come a change of cartridge had the most testing of birds crashing to the ground..... i didnt shoot at these any diffrently to the one with the kents. and the shots i took with the kents were bang on the money!!! resulting in bird either evading or dropping a 100yds away. choked half and half they should have been stone dead

i was out decoying pigeons last sunday on cut barley. i was using kent velocity hv pigeon in the form of a 29grm #6 second time using these cartridges. so the birds start coming in and i start shooting, two 15 20 yarders come in so bang bang and they drop. couple of fairly high birds say 30 /40ft came over and bang bang nearly plucked the pair of them feathers every where from a direct hit. but the kept going. so i thought thats odd they should be dead in the air. every single bird over the 25yard mark laughed at my efforts. id say im a fairly good shot and usualy drop birds consistantly at 40yds with my usual cartridge. i then went home and got my eley hi flyers and guess what every bird shot was stone dead before it hit the deck. im no cartridge expert but those kents are ********. not worth the case ther loaded in imop.

carl

"It is not about the amount of lead......It is putting it in the right place that counts"

TEH

you may be missing my point. im not compairing amounts of lead as my contains less shot than the kents. my point is the pigeons i shot were hit good and propper. i saw the lead shot impact the breast upper body area and it didnt drop. now im no novice to pigeon shooting abd imop these cartridges failed to kill those birds. i dont no if there faulty or whatever. but as soon as i changed cartridges and got back to the hide they were stone dead in the air. same distances and heights and there wasnt a problem. so can some1 explain that. without giving it (you missed it or skimmed it) because i most definately didnt!

cheers

I went out 1 day last week using a gun/cartridge I have been mullering the pigeons with and had a good half a dozen that were apparently hit hard, cloud of feathers yet flew on.

One in particular blew out a good cloud and worse with the second barrel, going away from me looked like a looked pillow had burst. Saw it land in a tree a couple of hundred yards away and went for a look later but it wasn't dead on the floor like they often are when they land close after being shot.

I reckon it was down to having the really bright sunshine to my right and this was affecting my swing. It was more difficult to clearly identify the birds, particularly with a lot of ferals being about too and sometimes I was having to swing on to them into the sunshine.

Stilted hesitant swing, maybe shooting behind somewhat in my case, maybe yours too. Sometimes you're just not on too, especially at the start until you get into the swing.

you may be missing my point. im not compairing amounts of lead as my contains less shot than the kents. my point is the pigeons i shot were hit good and propper. i saw the lead shot impact the breast upper body area and it didnt drop. now im no novice to pigeon shooting abd imop these cartridges failed to kill those birds. i dont no if there faulty or whatever. but as soon as i changed cartridges and got back to the hide they were stone dead in the air. same distances and heights and there wasnt a problem. so can some1 explain that. without giving it (you missed it or skimmed it) because i most definately didnt!

cheers

you saw the shot hit it ? seems odd I have never seen shot hit a bird in the 30 years I have been shooting , other peoples shot yes but my own never .

Feathers = Not enough Lead, Book Bakerboy to give you a Lesson. "I agree with you Motty" 100%

if its my technique thats to pot how come a change of cartridge had the most testing of birds crashing to the ground..... i didnt shoot at these any diffrently to the one with the kents. and the shots i took with the kents were bang on the money!!! resulting in bird either evading or dropping a 100yds away. choked half and half they should have been stone dead

Everyone has bad spells whilst shooting. The problem is that your bad spell happened when you were using those velocities. A change of cartridge and a subsequent change of mood might have brought about straighter shooting.

When i ***** a pigeon, i may swear at myself and think about what i've done wrong. I never blame the cartridge. I sometimes have four different brands of shell in my cartridge bag at once, and i reckon i do as well with all of them - changing makes no difference to me.

cheers

Are you saying that you've NEVER had occasions where you swear blind the bird should have dropped but it carried on when using 6's?

We've shot over 400 birds over two days with two different members from the forum using these cartridges. Ranges from 10 yards out to 50+ yards.

We've had many more outings puting the cartridges through their paces and found no difference between these and 6's we've used.

With respect I would put it down to your shooting on that particular day. I think another poster has said similar in that you may have had an off hour or two and it was pure coincidance that you didn't drop those birds whilst using the said cartridges.

You've probably got some left, give them another go on another day and I feel you may be surprised how effective they are.

Remember if you do use similar clay loads that you stick to trap cartridges as these hold a tighter pattern than sporting and skeet cartridges.

If you just don't get on with them then stick to what you like, I for one respect you have your own opinion, maybe if we cross paths and you see them in action you'd respect why I have mine.

Cos

point well put across mate! i can definately see your point. and your probably right. i cant see myself using them again personaly, as i have doubt about them now even tho it prob isnt tbe cartridge. i was so sure i had nailed them. they were my favourite type of target aswell lol. do you think you shoot better with a cartridge you trust? as the eleys suit me to a t and have shot thousands of birds with em over the years. crows and pigeon mostly. thanks for getting me to see where i probs went wrong. cheers guys.