How far do you travel to go wildfowling?

harrycatcat1

I live in Chesterfield so I don't think there are many folks further away from the coast, are there?

It takes me as near as anything just over 2 hours to get to the marsh either Kirton or Sheps and it costs about £35 return in diesel. That's why I cant justify as many trips as some that live nearer, I wished that I could :angry:

How long does it take you?

Regards

Hcc

post-16219-0-34521600-1347132547_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about 20 mile to my nearest Club Marsh and somewhere about 40 to the furthest. I tend to travel a lot though as I like to try a few differant places. I'd hate to think ( or the wife to realise) what my seasons mileage and fuel costs are. As the price of diesel escalates I do find it harder to justify the costs if I'm honest

Edited by Reabrook

It depends to which marsh i am shooting. The nearest is 10 miles away in the N Norfolk Coast and about 15mins , the next clubs ground is 15 miles off and takes 20min. If I am heading down to the Norfolk Broads its anything between 30 and 40 miles depending if I shoot the broad ( but takes 1\2 an hour rowing across it to get to a decent spot ) or my syndicate marshes. Takes me about an hour to reach the later grounds.

In negoation with a local game shoot that never shoot duck to lease a couple of ponds just down the road 5 mins from home. I used to travel 300 miles to Scotland for a weeks wildfowling , but the costs have just got out of hand. I love it up there but when you go for a week you are just getting a handle on what the fowl are doing and its time to come home.

Edited by anser2

If I get chance to shoot geese I will travel along way sometimes, I might be going 10 mins down the road other times a 45 min drive to the nearest foreshore and end of this month 3 of us driving up to Aberdeenshire to flight pinks under the moon weather permitting just for 2 flights then back up mid october to decoy inland, for me geese are something special hence why I would travel alot to get under them.

1 1/2 hrs and 80 miles to one and 30mins and about 20 to the other. Starting to regret having the car i do as it drinks fuel and eats tyres. In certain respects its stupid coz i have ducks and often geese very close by at times but it aint the same when its not on the foreshore

Takes me about 20 minutes to get there, Sunday afternoons a bit longer if I get behind the garden centre brigade.

Harry, you will have to stay with Dale and Steve in the caravan.

Oh argh, I can just imagine the scene, Dale and Steve in the double bed as usual, me on the floor and Dales wandering hands and in the background would be steves dog snarling at Ping pong erupting in a fight. :lol:

Then Steve would be saying are you asleep yet? :hmm:

Inland fowling about 2 minutes, coastal, around 40 minutes.

Never occurred to me to include my inland duck and goose shooting. It's either a two minute walk or a five minute drive. I love the foreshore but I find something wholly satisfying about walking out of my door with a gun over my shoulder and a few cartridges in my pocket. Especially if an hour later I walk back with something for the pot and haven't even left the village.

Got inland 5mins from my house with ducks and geese, foreshore Humber 55 miles away then the wash 67 miles, next port of call is Fenlands at 86 mile.

other than that any place what takes my fancy up north, fuel is the killer this year its stupid prices for us poor fowling chaps.

Edited by shakin stevens

Got inland 5mins from my house with ducks and geese, foreshore Humber 55 miles away then the wash 67 miles, next port of call is Fenlands at 86 mile.

other than that any place what takes my fancy up north, fuel is the killer this year its stupid prices for us poor fowling chaps.

I'll chip in with you this year (if theres a a chance at a pinkfoot?)...by the way our friend rang again on sunday.....have you been anywhere yet Bob?

cheers mate...Dale.