How far do you travel to go wildfowling?

harrycatcat1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never occurred to me to include my inland duck and goose shooting. It's either a two minute walk or a five minute drive. I love the foreshore but I find something wholly satisfying about walking out of my door with a gun over my shoulder and a few cartridges in my pocket. Especially if an hour later I walk back with something for the pot and haven't even left the village.

Ditto mate, thats the reason why I spend more time fowling on my local washes these days than travelling to the foreshore.

A pocket full of cartridges, a 2 minute walk and sometimes if I`m lucky I`m back in the house in less than half hour with tea in my hand!!

Ditto mate, thats the reason why I spend more time fowling on my local washes these days than travelling to the foreshore.

A pocket full of cartridges, a 2 minute walk and sometimes if I`m lucky I`m back in the house in less than half hour with tea in my hand!!

I have gone the opposite way this year, i've decided to travel as much as possible, I have 4 trips to scotland booked, a couple on the ribble and just trying to finalise a couple although still in wales both are a fair bit of travelling. I have a localish marsh that is 20 mins away if I need a quick fix.

I have a very good marsh 5 mins from my door and another couple within 30 mins, I've shot these marshes for years and have some great times but last season I just could not get fired up as it felt too easy and same oldy thus I found myself visiting less and less.

This season I decided to put the adventure back into my fowling, what i've saved on club memberships I will spend on fuel,I will probably not get as many duck but in terms of expieriences i'm hoping for one of my best seasons ever.

I will start a thread something along the lines of 'Terrys travelling trails and triumphs' :shout: when I start.My fowling bud and I are on Montrose and Tay for 5 days starting Oct 12 so that will be the first instalment. :yahoo:

Edited by Terry P

I have gone the opposite way this year, i've decided to travel as much as possible, I have 4 trips to scotland booked, a couple on the ribble and just trying to finalise a couple although still in wales both are a fair bit of travelling. I have a localish marsh that is 20 mins away if I need a quick fix.

I have a very good marsh 5 mins from my door and another couple within 30 mins, I've shot these marshes for years and have some great times but last season I just could not get fired up as it felt too easy and same oldy thus I found myself visiting less and less.

This season I decided to put the adventure back into my fowling, what i've saved on club memberships I will spend on fuel,I will probably not get as many duck but in terms of expieriences i'm hoping for one of my best seasons ever.

I will start a thread something along the lines of 'Terrys travelling trails and triumphs' :shout: when I start.My fowling bud and I are on Montrose and Tay for 5 days starting Oct 12 so that will be the first instalment. :yahoo:

Terry,

I see where your coming from and I like to travel myself always trying to do at least one new marsh or bit of coast a season. What I'm on about is being sat at home and on the spur of the moment putting a few cartridges in my pocket, taking the dog and the gun and being back with a duck etc in time for tea. I love my planned trips away sorting it all out checking gear etc but those little impromptu walks with no need for the car or hides, decoys and mountains of paraphernalia etc are for me the cream of the season. That said I'm pretty sure if that was my only option I'd soon tire of it as well.

Edited by Reabrook

Travelling long distances lost its appeal to me a few years back. I must admit, having both the Nene and Ouse Washes on my doorstep does play its part in my lack of eagerness to travel. I have quite a few foreshore clubs within a 40/45 minute drive so again this adds to my lack of adventure!!. But I have travelled in the past for long weekends and 3/4 day trips so probably one day I`ll feel the urge again!!.

This season I have moved to the Severn Estuary so 10 mins and a choice of two marshes... but 4 days per week still working staying on Dee estuary... 5 mins drive plus walk....also 1 or two trips to Dundee for the Tay... leave Wirral after work in evening 2 x morning flights, 2 x evening flights possibly tide flights and 600 mile round trip... to save cash, sleep in van (with bed fitted)

all worth the time effort and cash, even if nothing shot...(far better if bag filled though) :-)

I prefer to chase pinks and the wash is the nearest too where they come in numbers

I have been a member of the Kent wild fowlers and have enjoyed the time as a member they are a forward thinking club who purchase shooting land for the future

I also make the trip to Scotland a couple of times a year

They are also a major threat to other wildfowlers. In the future if some have their way you will have a simple choice , join a big club with all the problems that will intail such as having to book a days shooting well in advance or risk having your wildfowling priced beyond your pocket by it. Its a very good policy for a club to buy ground in its own area within reason , but when they start buying up ground in other areas of the country they will push up the rents to such an extent that nearby clubs will not be able to compete with them.

Its BASCs job to take in any spare wildfowling ground and lease it back to the local club and should not be up to a super club.

Edited by anser2