Anybody got the fire going yet? Sticked up on fuel?

hedd-wyn

As above really

Usually we'd wait until the end of October but it's been pretty cold over here and we've had the wood-burner on most evenings to warm the cockles so to speak.

I've recently struck a nice deal with the farmer on my permission and he's granted me free firewood for shooting vermin on his farm. So slowly i've been stocking up on the old timber and think I've got enough to keep us through winter. What I don't have is suitable storage at the moment. They've been under tarp so will have to build some kind of lean-to or a log store as a next project so any ideas on how to build one I would really appreciate it.

Everybody else stocked up on the winter fuel?

Stay warm mo'fo's!

Hedd

Edited by hedd-wyn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get some gas you pesants then you wont have to chop wood to keep warm :yay:

Haha gas? does that really exist? our tribe thought it was a myth!

And for building a log store, just make sure there's air flow underneath or the wood on the bottom will rot. I just pile it all on some pallets.

Good tip, thanks :good:

Lit mine a couple of times, threw a couple of logs on and let it burn out just to take the chill off. Haven't had it going all evening yet and I'm still sleeping with the windows wide open.

I built a log store last year out of treated timber and some tin sheets. As cockercas says, a dry floor is the main thing. I had a huge pile of fairly small flints I'd dug out of the garden. I put some weed membrane down and lined the floor with a good 6" of flint. Bone dry and maintenance free. I only keep cut and split logs under cover. I've got a pretty big stack of cord wood and that stays dry enough in the bark until its cut.

Not had the wood burner on yet but had the heating on for the odd hour in the morning just to take the chill off the house.

get some gas you pesants then you wont have to chop wood to keep warm :yay:

We don't have gas in the house but there is a gas pipeline that runs past about 800yrds away but it is about 18" in diameter, under high pressure, and comes straight from the north sea to the nearby gas plant. Imagine that would make and intresting size flame on the fire.

That would last me about a week.

Hope you get them for free then :yes: , generally light mine late afternoon in winter , put some smoke less fuel on and then 6/8 logs of an evening , so the store when filled to top as is now should last 6/8 weeks , but as we didn"t have the store last winter I am guessing .

Edited by Zulu

Had one or two in last few weeks - just takes chill off room - cat loves it

I use treated timber to make log stores - couple of fence post and done - I have found Eaves plastic is good for roof - quite cheap and looks like tounge and groove - cut to length and slot together for width. - Old timber criss crossed on floor first to put logs on.

Got 4 about this size now all full plus load under sheet behind oil tank and behind shed. You can never have enough wood.

403950573.jpg

Dave

Hope you get them for free then :yes: , generally light mine late afternoon in winter , put some smoke less fuel on and then 6/8 logs of an evening , so the store when filled to top as is now should last 6/8 weeks , but as we didn"t have the store last winter I am guessing .

Yes we do. Never turn any down if it's offered. I burn about 1 large wicker basket a day during winter and more if we are home all day.

Very old house with no insulation so the wood burner is the cheapest way to heat the house.

Yes we do. Never turn any down if it's offered. I burn about 1 large wicker basket a day during winter and more if we are home all day.

Very old house with no insulation so the wood burner is the cheapest way to heat the house.

Is it heating the other rooms ( via pipes ) as well ?

When we agreed to take a year's lease on our cottage the farmer / landord offered us 5% discount if we paid 6 months up front. I negotiated this discount into two loads of logs as the farm produce their own firewood. It means we get all our firewood for three hundred euros. We've just received our second lot and got it stacked in an outbuilding all ready for winter. Some of it is from oak beams from a chateau built over 400 years ago so I reckon it will be just about seasoned.

We are just waiting for a bigger log burner to be fitted. The one we have at present was barely adequate. Going on the size of the logs we've had delivered the new one must be big enough to heat the village.

As above really

Usually we'd wait until the end of October but it's been pretty cold over here and we've had the wood-burner on most evenings to warm the cockles so to speak.

I've recently struck a nice deal with the farmer on my permission and he's granted me free firewood for shooting vermin on his farm. So slowly i've been stocking up on the old timber and think I've got enough to keep us through winter. What I don't have is suitable storage at the moment. They've been under tarp so will have to build some kind of lean-to or a log store as a next project so any ideas on how to build one I would really appreciate it.

Everybody else stocked up on the winter fuel?

Stay warm mo'fo's!

Hedd

Same as you. I now get free trees from farmer for controlling vermin. To top it off the farmers son helps me with his chain saw and delivers them to my house with his machine. We have had ours on a couple of times this week.

That would last me about a week.

It would last me a weekend if the missus is here. Never known anyone burn so much fuel.

I'm not complaining, she lights the fire and carts the logs into the house. :)

Reckon I burn 25 tons a year heating a big old farmhouse to just above freezing, not "walking about in your undies" temperatures.

Had it lit a few times but not every night yet. I just put another jumper on instead.

I reckon cordwood under a tarp but so the breeze can get through is a damned good way to store logs. I cut and split them from under the tarp and reckon them to be at 15% moisture within a week from then. In comparison, my furniture in the house measures at 15%.

Meter costs about £15 off ebay etc if anybody wants to know.

We havent had the fire on yet, i've got about a tenth of the logs chopped, need to get the rest done before the weather gets nasty. I hate chopping logs when its below freezing outside just because the coal bunker is empty and we've run out of logs!

I can't see it getting lit soon, i was out on the marsh in a t-shirt last night!