Anybody got the fire going yet? Sticked up on fuel?

hedd-wyn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been splitting on and off through the summer and got about 3/4 of our log store (a curtainside 40ft trailer) filled to the rafters. Reckon that will do us through till Feb. It would do the whole winter if "some people" didn't keep opening the windows when it gets too hot instead of controlling the logburners properly :sad1:

We've got a ground source heat pump, when it get cold out side it kicks in and keeps the in side temperature at 22c :D

What do you reckon that costs you to run? Been considering one for a new build be keep hearing tales of huge electric bills....

You can never have enough wood. Looking forward to burning the pitch pine joists that I salvaged from a skip and the neighbours cherry that I blitzed last christmas. Got rakes of it and can't wait to start burning it. Not nearly cold enough yet though. Bit reluctant to start as once you start its a fire everynight and you don't feel the benefit when it gets taters.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fire..........................................................

Been out cutting and dragging sizeable logs up hillsides for the last few weekends on my main permission. Think he has enough wood to run through till late december at present running two large esse fires and a back boiler regular. I still have 7 large trees to cut and fetch up to the house in the next couple of weekends. Fortunately all the wood os dry stored in one of the barns till they get close to lambing in march/april. Helps in one way as I can fetch up 4-5foot logs and cut them later in the dry rather than cutting loads of 12" logs out in the field.

I knocked up a log cutting rack a few weeks back up there too to save time when cutting them to size. Makes for a far simpler and quicker job when you have a load of wood to cut to size. Pile a load of timber into the rack, strap it down and cut through the lot into whatever size you need.

AckAck the pitch pine and cherry wood takes me back to being a child. My grandfather used to burn it on a log burner in his greenhouses with pipes running round them. Nowt like the smell of pitch pine even when your splitting it mmmmm. You lucky man, apple wood and part smell nice too.

Figgy

When we agreed to take a year's lease on our cottage the farmer / landord offered us 5% discount if we paid 6 months up front. I negotiated this discount into two loads of logs as the farm produce their own firewood. It means we get all our firewood for three hundred euros. We've just received our second lot and got it stacked in an outbuilding all ready for winter. Some of it is from oak beams from a chateau built over 400 years ago so I reckon it will be just about seasoned.

We are just waiting for a bigger log burner to be fitted. The one we have at present was barely adequate. Going on the size of the logs we've had delivered the new one must be big enough to heat the village.

What are the winters like over there compared to here?

Wont put heating on till at least November, If its cold I put a jumper on, If Im still cold I just layer up,

Even in winter wont have it on during the day,( Born in Yorkshire)

Gas is so bloomin expensive, bills are horrendous if you have the heating on 10+ hours a day

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I have got an arch barn full of dry logs we cut down last winter, me and a friend have picked up a few jobs as got chainsaws and tractors and assuming its an easy job cut the trees down for free and keep the logs. Doing a job this winter with some people who want to open up an old lake area in a patch of woods, lots of nice big trees but are very wet so gonna take some drying i think so that will be for next years winter.

Edited by ferguson_tom

What are the winters like over there compared to here?

Wont put heating on till at least November, If its cold I put a jumper on, If Im still cold I just layer up,

Even in winter wont have it on during the day,( Born in Yorkshire)

Gas is so bloomin expensive, bills are horrendous if you have the heating on 10+ hours a day

:shaun:

I'm not sure yet. I rrived on 9th February which was the day after a metre of snow had fallen and the temperatures dropped to -17C at night and -7C in the day. It remained like that for two weeks, but the locals assure me that it is not usual for this to occurr. The last time they had snow for more than three days was 1963. A friend told us that they did not have a fire until mid-November last year, and the previous spring they did not need one after mid-March. This spring they were still lighting fires in May. Again, we have been told that the wettst and coldest spring for fity years.

We shall see.

Up here fire has been lite a few nights, what sort of coal do you use in multi fuel stove? I am looking to buy some for the winter about a tonne should do me with the logs.

Bod

Used this firm last winter , no probs , phone you the day before del , used a discount code for xtra 10%

http://www.coals2u.co.uk/?utm_expid=45559497-3&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coals2u.co.uk%2Fhomefire-25kg-prepacked.

Edited by Zulu

Just been out for another trailer of logs - only Pine but they are cut and nearly dry so it didn't cost as much as winter loads -- £9.50 for 330kg - need a bigger trailer. -- Now running out of space to put it all but come winter it soon goes down.

Once the log burner is hot the pine last's quite well and you can afford to throw it on as it's so cheap.

Dave

Had two or three fires this year so far. (Mainly as the gf moans she's cold, and I like lighting the stove!) Knocked up my first log store out of a table, a pallet and a few slats of wood. Then put another table on top as it wasn't big enough, and roofed it with roofing felt. Then that wasn't big enough, so now I have pallets all over the place, and wood in the shed too. But it doesn't dry as well in the shed as it does under cover outdoors where the wind and sun (hopefully) can get at it.