Insurance Renewal

straightshooter1

Got to stick up for BASC

It’s more than just insurance; think of the work BASC do to keep new blood coming in to shooting and the daily work keeping parliament on their toes!

Tail docking and licensing laws to name a few

Another thing back to the insurance, in the event of a claim (which I Hope you or anybody EVER has to use) I’ve seen a Few, Smooth and trouble free go through without a problem, you will speak to a person in the UK with a Full knowledge and understanding of Shooting and it will be handled by BASC staff all the way and Not passed on to your House insurance or Life insurance to deal with it

Worth its Weight !

Got to stick up for BASC

It’s more than just insurance; think of the work BASC do to keep new blood coming in to shooting and the daily work keeping parliament on their toes!

Tail docking and licensing laws to name a few

Another thing back to the insurance, in the event of a claim (which I Hope you or anybody EVER has to use) I’ve seen a Few, Smooth and trouble free go through without a problem, you will speak to a person in the UK with a Full knowledge and understanding of Shooting and it will be handled by BASC staff all the way and Not passed on to your House insurance or Life insurance to deal with it

Worth its Weight !

BASC are more than just insurance as Wabbitbosher says, its the overall picture not just am I covered!!! they looking after our sport from on the ground to in parliament.

Good things sometimes cost, divide the membership fee by the days in a year??? not bad for peace of mind

Alan

Thanks all will look into all of the options :good:

As for BASC I know what you are all saying they do do a hell of a lot, both bringing new blood to our sport and fighting our corner, but times are hard and we have to penny pinch where we can.

As for standing up for our corner. We should all be doing that ourselves just like the bunny cuddlers do when they go on there protests, they are allways heard and heard the loudest! Because they get off thier backsides and do something about what they bellieve in, not just pay a subscription and have some fat cat speak on thier behalf! then winge about it from thier sofa's when things don't go thier way. section 5 hand guns is a perfect example.

Anyway thats the end of my little rant lol!

Many thanks all :good:

Edited by straightshooter1

I would say BASC every time, but if money is tight then anybody except SACS,

SACS are a Scottish association for Scottish members, yes their insurance will cover you but they otherwise do **** all south of the border except campaign to recruit members to subsidise their wholly Scottish orientated operations (and what they actually do north of the border is pretty dubious too....). So either NGO or CA if you cannnot stretch to BASC.

Edited by scolopax

Personally, I'd say you don't need it if your always shooting at a club that has its own insurance.

A dangerous practice.

Your club has insurance - so you assume you are covered?

Have you read their policy?

Have you checked their Risk assessments and Safety statements ( policy claims can be invalidated if these are not current and appropriate)

Were you acting within the terms of policy?

Have they paid their last monthly instalment?

Was their proposal declaration honest?

NEVER rely on third parties insurance which could leave you holding the baby. If you were shown to be negligent and the club's insurance did not cover the situation, and/or failed to respond to the claim for any number of reasons, have you got £1,000,000 in the bank? Yes, claim settlements do go that far and further.

With any number of organisations providing insurance from as little as £24-95 for £10mP/L cover, which is personal to you and you can know exactly what its levels of cover are from the evidence of insurance documents, it is just silly to not have your own cover. Although the risks are tiny as the sport is a safe one, IF a claim comes against you it could be very expensive if you do not have your own cover.

A dangerous practice.

Your club has insurance - so you assume you are covered?

Have you read their policy?

Have you checked their Risk assessments and Safety statements ( policy claims can be invalidated if these are not current and appropriate)

Were you acting within the terms of policy?

Have they paid their last monthly instalment?

Was their proposal declaration honest?

NEVER rely on third parties insurance which could leave you holding the baby. If you were shown to be negligent and the club's insurance did not cover the situation, and/or failed to respond to the claim for any number of reasons, have you got £1,000,000 in the bank? Yes, claim settlements do go that far and further.

With any number of organisations providing insurance from as little as £24-95 for £10mP/L cover, which is personal to you and you can know exactly what its levels of cover are from the evidence of insurance documents, it is just silly to not have your own cover. Although the risks are tiny as the sport is a safe one, IF a claim comes against you it could be very expensive if you do not have your own cover.

Well I understand what your saying, but if you are covered by a clubs own policy, then you don't need your own. For the reasons you've given it may not be a bad thing to have your own, but it doesn't mean you must have your own, simply that you ought to check.

I don't worry about it as I do have insurance anyway as I shoot over land, if I only ever shot at a club with insurance and didn't want to support a shooting organisation then I could consider not having my own.

Well I understand what your saying, but if you are covered by a clubs own policy, then you don't need your own. For the reasons you've given it may not be a bad thing to have your own, but it doesn't mean you must have your own, simply that you ought to check.

I don't worry about it as I do have insurance anyway as I shoot over land, if I only ever shot at a club with insurance and didn't want to support a shooting organisation then I could consider not having my own.

There is nothing in Law thats says you must have insurance, indeed an analysis of persons involved in shooting sports indicates more than half are un-insured personally.

A club / organisation / land owner may insist on cover as part of condition of shooting.

A club / organisation may have its own cover, and the key point here is that any-one who is otherwise un-insured attending that club / land / event is entirely dependant on that policy and its limitations. Club cover varies widely. Small club policies will be limited to a certain no of days, specified venues, and may not include or limit guest attendance. They are unlikely to cover instruction. P/L policies can be obtained for as little as £1m - is that enough? Law requires clubs to hold Employer's liability, nothing more. Most policy proposals include declarations like: I declare I have carried out a risk assessment and taken all practical steps to mitigate risk; and another to say the all information on the proposal is complete and factual. Insurers will issue policies on the untested basis this is all done and all relevant facts fully declared. If information was withheld, or relevant facts omitted - the policy may be declared void if claimed on.

If a major claim arises, loss adjusters will look closely to confirm that appropriate H&S has been applied, and the club is acting within policy terms. Take a scenario - the club operates on a section 11.6 and 28 day GDO's. They have two weekly club shoots you attend, a boxing day meet and a NYD meet, but they also put on a charity event, did a couple of stag do's and ran some corporate events. This could mean they operated 36 days in the year, so the last 8 were illegal as the 28 day deemed planning had been used up - so not only could the policy fail because it was limited to 28 days, but also because the last 8 shoots were illegal in planning terms.

Most club policies also severely limit guests. While a specific number of members may be covered, many club policies are restricted to 2 guests per shoot. On the day you attend, has the guest limit been exceeded?

While commercial policies will include instruction, most club policies do not. You take a guest and are supervising that guest under instruction when a liability arises. The buck stops with you - club policy does not cover the situation.

The key point is that if you cause an accident, the club may not have any liability for this, and while they may be fully insured, what they are insured against is you claiming on them. Yes, commercial policies can be extended to include covering the liability of a person attending and the commercial shooting policies normal include this. How-ever, this cover is expensive, often to be measured in £1,000s in premium, and many grounds today opt to have minimum rather than maximum cover.

If an individual relies on this cover alone, with litigious no-win-no-fee lawyers handling a third party claim against you you run the risk of ending up with a club policy that does not respond to the circumstances of the claim, and a personal liability you have to pay that could run to many £thousands.

Carry your own insurance and you know specifically what the limitations of cover may be, so you can act within them in the safe knowledge that you are personally insured regardless of what other cover may or may not be in place. You carry this insurance where-ever you shoot geographically, and most P/L policies for shooting have wider cover for other country sport activities, so you would also be covered fishing, archery etc

Peace of mind costs £25 to £60ish per annum depending on the cover you choose.

Clayman, while you may be correct in some ways, it doesn't mean that there aren't any clubs out there with suitable insurance and who aren't breaking any rules that would prevent any payout in the event of a claim.

I don't think it to be a bad thing to have your own insurance, but I don't think it's fair to say that you must have it, as in some places it's not going to be needed.

Please read my posts:-

I quite clearly state there is no requirement for insurance.

I state its simply prudent to have it and give reasons.

My point is purely that: while the risk is small, relying on club insurance when it exists, is not without risk. Carrying self insurance is low cost and the safest way to be.

For those that are happy to take the risk that their club insurance meets all their needs and will respond to a claim by them, good luck.

How-ever, it remains my personal view that every-one should carry personal insurance.