Defending your home against the burgular !

Will Poon

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, we have made our bedroom a "strong room" so to speak and have a wire escape ladder and fire extingwisher in case of fires ! Personally I think a blank firing pistol would be fine and if you let a shot fly with it, no damage will be done, it cant be taken from you and used against you and no burgler in there right mind is going to hang around to see if its a real gun you have ! and I cant see that yourd be breaking any law that i know of !

and thats the silliest suggestion yet, so you shoot with a blank firer at burglar who then turns out to be armed. Just possible it would cause him to return fire :whistling:

personally its such a rare occurrence my guns are downstairs I'd never get the chance to get them out but I tend to lock the doors and windows and have a german wirehaired muppet that would create merry hell as soon as they come through the side gate. After that then good luck as they would need to be brave to come and find out she is actually soppy and just sounds nasty

Alex, hows that a silly thing, most "armed robberies" etc turn out to be done with BB guns, blank firers and deactivated whepons ! And as I said they arnt going to stay around to find out ! and the chances of mos folk getting to there cabinet, opening it and loading it in time are likely to be slim where as the blank firer can be kept in the bedroom and not locked up !

I'm am slightly more concerned that the police have issued licenses to some of the posters on here than of a burglar rummaging through my farmhouse.

Comments like this....."But shooting a shotgun cart at a couple of intruders in the kitchen to make then run back out the door seems fair enough" .......truly astound me.

Perhaps it really is time the police subjected license holders to a full psycological assesment once a year.

Guest cookoff013

I'm am slightly more concerned that the police have issued licenses to some of the posters on here than of a burglar rummaging through my farmhouse.

Comments like this....."But shooting a shotgun cart at a couple of intruders in the kitchen to make then run back out the door seems fair enough" .......truly astound me.

Perhaps it really is time the police subjected license holders to a full psycological assesment once a year.

really? i know there are a few out there posts, unfortunately puts some poor light on firearm ownership. off the cuff comments on a forum are just that.

Getting back to the post I believe the judge said that "if a burglar carried out a crime in the country he coudl expect a lawfully held firearm to be used against him and for his subsequent sentence not to be reduced because he was actually wounded/shot.". People who have firearms are, in general terms, those least likely to use them but if they do then they would do so

in the full knowledge of the damage likely to be caused to the burglar.

I think its a helpful clarification and will cause the lawless to think twice.

hmmmm :hmm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-19727222

"One of the males, suspected to be Mr O'Gorman, was about to reach into a drawer in the kitchen which, they were aware but he probably was not, held a number of knives, as can be expected in a kitchen.

"As a result of that, Mr Ferrie fired his shotgun. Mr O'Gorman was hit in his face, Mr Mansell in his hand.

Judge Michael Pert QC told the pair: "I make it plain that, in my judgment, being shot is not mitigation. If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally held shotgun, that is the chance you take"

Nothing there is anything signifcant in terms of the law. I do wonder if Mr/Mrs Ferrie have their guns back or if SGC will be renewed.....

Edited by HDAV

I know some of the comments on this subject are a bit "tongue in cheek" but I think there are one or two serious problems connected with it for firearms owners. In N Ireland some members, and some ex members of the police etc are authorised to have personal protection weapons and the police state that no other weapons will be given to anyone else for this reason. All other firearms are conditioned for vermin control ,deer stalking. target shooting or similar . The point I am trying to make is that shooting at an intruder would technically be a breach of these conditions and I have often wondered what the effect would be on continued gun ownership. I also think that gun cabinets serve two purposes , one to keep guns away from criminals and secondly to keep owners away from guns in an emergency. I also feel that it would considerably weaken your defence if you had to explain that you went to get gun safe keys ,opened a cabinet ,and loaded a gun in order to confront a burglar- the spur of the moment argument would seem a bit thin.

Maybe these points are a bit technical but I wonder!

we have guns/firearms for sporting reasons i think getting your guns out could make things 10 times whorse wot if one of your family got caught in the crossfire, ive been in firefights and one thing you will not be is calm, leave them in the safe and call the police use attack as a last ressort if your that bothered about home safty upgrade your security build a panic room if you feel that threatened

You are allowed to use reasonable force to protect you and yours, if you`re punched you can punch, I assume if you are coming second then you could grab the baseball bat, if you are threatened with a knife you can use a knife, you don`t have to wait to be stabbed,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16427198

Having known many burglars over the years the thing that they fear most is a dog in the house or an alarm system . Most burglars are oppotune thieves who will look for a simple easy break in .Generally they wont touch a house that has a dog or an alarm system . A good security tip is to have an outside light that comes on when any body is in your garden that in turn switches all the down stairs lights on .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Having known many burglars over the years the thing that they fear most is a dog in the house or an alarm system . Most burglars are oppotune thieves who will look for a simple easy break in .Generally they wont touch a house that has a dog or an alarm system . A good security tip is to have an outside light that comes on when any body is in your garden that in turn switches all the down stairs lights on .

Harnser .

Well........in that case we will be just fine. We have security lights and my ordinarily placid (yes, she will lick you to death) GSP bitch turns into a rabid ******* of an animal if anyhthing is out of sorts. It's not unusual for our postie to run up the drive after posting our mail..............long may it continue.