Targets for sale in the shape of a human - wrong?

minghis

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel that people selling targets and showing a picture of a target in the shape of a human is somehow wrong. I was scanning through ebay today and came across one and I thought why not have a circular type target, an animal even but a human - it just doesn't seem right.

I don't want to link directly to it, but if you search sporting goods, hunting, targets you'll see some.

What do you think?

I always thought human shape targets were illegal in the U.K. but I might be wrong. What justification could there possibly be for having one? You might want to know if you could hit a squirrels head at 30 yards, but what part of a human is anyone other than the military ever likely to shoot?

Not illegal as far as I an aware but not allowed on MOD ranges for civvies and certainly not seen as PC! Remember too that a good number of target shooting competitions have historically used 'charging hun' targets... if you look at the PC replacements in use nowadays, they are the same shape, they just use patterns instead of a definate outline... from a distance one could still be mistaken for thinking it was a human shaped target!

Even better, the Army got in serious trouble a couple of years ago for firing at mosque shaped targets! :lookaround:

Edited by Vipa

I was in cadets before / after 1996-1997... before, at military ranges, we used to shoot at the typical 'human' target, afterwards that got stopped (for the first few months, we shot at two set of 'legs' making up a full size target ??? ).

To anyone normal (i.e. not unhinged) shooting at a human shaped target or a circular target makes no difference. Neither encourages you to shoot at people.

However, that said, I'd never use / bring a human silhouette target to a civilian target club. Basically because any responsible shooter wants to portray their sport in a positive, non-violent way. No one wants the impression that we're practising to shoot at people!

It's the same as the reason they don't allow camo / blactical clothing at practical shotgun events. The clothing (or targets) may be a harmless bit of fun, but it's dangerous from Joe Public's perspective, as all they see is someone 'combat training' - which simply isn't the case.

Back in the days when we used to shoot Vintage/Classis blackpowder rifles and pistol comp's,our targets were cut-outs of Napoleonic troopers of all various sizes,carefully sized to emulate the size that target would actually be at any given range.I don't think any of us were ever compelled with a sudden urge to go out and shoot a Frenchman.We simply called it fun,prior to the days of PC,but now it seems careful thought has to be given to any decision making process lest we cause 'offence' to someone.Never mind,sign of the times I suppose.

Zeroing days are now restricted to shooting at apples,grapefruit,melons etc,with explosive results.At least we're getting our 'five a day'. :good:

Don't think it means somebody will use it as practice for shooting people. We used to make plasticine figures and shoot them with air rifles and they would keel over realistically, but I never thought of it as practice for shooting humans. We used to shoot our action men as well. They could take some hits. Really tough guys. I can see why human shaped targets could be controversial though.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel that people selling targets and showing a picture of a target in the shape of a human is somehow wrong. I was scanning through ebay today and came across one and I thought why not have a circular type target, an animal even but a human - it just doesn't seem right.

I don't want to link directly to it, but if you search sporting goods, hunting, targets you'll see some.

What do you think?

well since you ask ,I think you take things too seriously.

Are you also against people shooting other humans in video games etc ? , or only watch rom coms in case somebody gets shot in a action movie ?.

Do you believe that people who shoot these type of target (I am not one of them) get a sudden urge to go on the rampage shooting members of the public ?.

I really think the country and you yourself should have bigger problems to think about , well you did ask LOL

We still shoot old school hun's head targets at diggle on the mcqueens, i agree some silhouettes are a bit 'sniper wanabee' but the tournament is named after the company who introduced the target so it would be akin to driving the porsche supercup but only ferraris were allowed :-/

They manage it at Bisley Fister... the McQueen targets are a letterbox with a pentagon underneath...

Personally, I can't see the problem... It all boils down to the shooting community feeling like pariahs and trying to stay as far under the non-shooting community's radar as possible.

Fenboy makes a very valid point... a large percentage of the young spend thier spare time runing round shooting people in very relistic video games... these games are far more sinister in thier effect as, the people, when shot come back to life!

Edited by Vipa

I don't have any problem with using targets in human form, indeed, I've spent a large portion of my life doing just that. However, I just did a google and found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEN-III-LifeSize-North-Korean-Soldier-Bleeding-Zombie-Tactical-Target-Silhouette-/320755693136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae877650

Way too far over the line in my opinion, and gives the vast majority a bad name.

I don't have any problem with using targets in human form, indeed, I've spent a large portion of my life doing just that. However, I just did a google and found this:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4aae877650

Way too far over the line in my opinion, and gives the vast majority a bad name.

That's the Yanks for ya.. they are zombie crazy at the mo.. I was watching a vid of Shot Show and there were loads of 3d lifelike human zombie ish targets to be had

This sport is in danger of dissapearing up its own **** - the GCN may aswell kick back, put their feet up and let us do the work for them.

:hmm:

Yep... well put

I'm new to this forum and I already see many people on most post saying shouldn't do this, they ought to ban that. The so-called shooting "community" will end up helping our government to ban everything.

"First they came for the people using human-esque targets, and I voiced my opinion--

as I think they should be banned and I don't use them.

Then they came for the people who use semi-autos, and I voiced my opinion--

as I think they should be banned and I don't use them.

But then they came for all shooters and guns -- and there was no one left who wanted to speak for me, as I had been a cretin spoiling everyone else's fun."