O- and B- donors, do you weigh 20 stone ?

Full Pelt

I gave blood last night, twiddling my toes I was just relaxing and thinking about the reason I started donating.

There was a TV documentary on the Royal Marines in Afghanistan ; one lad had been blown up by an IED. He said that he'd checked his arms and legs, all OK, then put his hand up to feel his neck and his fingers went right in. His mate ran up and said, "Don't worry, you're going to be alright", he thought "If my mate says 'don't worry', it must be serious".

His mate saved his life by sticking his knee in the hole in his neck until the medics arrived.

They gave him 17 pints / units of blood in the helicopter back to Bastion.

I worked it out that if I went and donated every twelve weeks it would take me over four years to donate 17 units.

Only 4% of people in the UK give blood. Think of that when you're tipping that pint down your neck tonight, we can all spare a drop.

http://www.blood.co.uk/index.asp

No apologies for posting in the wanteds, hundreds of people browse this forum. Are you one of the few or one of the many ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type B negative here, pretty rare i believe. :good:

Used to give all the time but since the blood mobile stopped visiting work i havent been as regular.

I will have to start back up again

Good post :good:

Not that rare Alex, 5 posts and 2 people with the same blood group (B Rh Neg)- I used to give blood but dont know where I could do it locally - I'll check at the cottage hospital and see if they do it !

Not that rare Alex, 5 posts and 2 people with the same blood group (B Rh Neg)- I used to give blood but dont know where I could do it locally - I'll check at the cottage hospital and see if they do it !

Best way would be to ring the blood donning people up and they will give you times when and where they will be in your area and could even make an appointment for you to pop in.

O Rh D-ve as well, here, gave regularly till the cancer diagnosis, now they don't want to know for at least ten years post surgery. I am on the organ donor register as well. Everyone should give blood, should be opt-out only, not voluntary.

Edited by Bloke

Yep, every 3 months

Pretty sure the last time i was in a couple of weeks ago they were moving up to 16 weeks now,seems crazy as i was in because they phoned my wife to come in early cos they were short and she couldn't go as she's just out of hospital after giving her dad a kidney.

Edited by mr smith