what none toxic shot do you use and why

washwildfowler

what none toxic shot do you use and why  

98 members have voted

1. 1. what none toxic shot do you use and why

Guest cookoff013

I use steel on geese and duck, haven't been shooting long but have been toying with the hevi-shot option for my over and under.

why hevishot for the o/u? if you are concerned about the hardness of steel shot, hevishot is twice as hard.

@op

if i had the choice, and unlimited money, i`d reload niceshot, a soft like tungsten / tin / nylon blend of shot. very soft on barrels

as i have a supernova pump, i routinely reload steel.

i would avoid bismuth like the plague, and i sold a whole load ages ago, orrible stuff.

why hevishot for the o/u? if you are concerned about the hardness of steel shot, hevishot is twice as hard.

@op

if i had the choice, and unlimited money, i`d reload niceshot, a soft like tungsten / tin / nylon blend of shot. very soft on barrels

as i have a supernova pump, i routinely reload steel.

i would avoid bismuth like the plague, and i sold a whole load ages ago, orrible stuff.

No, not concerned about the hardness.

I'm a better shot with the O/U therefore more confident that a £1 cart would not go to waste :shifty:

Steel in the 12 and one of the 10's, bismuth and tungsten (nice shot) in the other 10, also use bismuth and nice shot in both 8's and the 4. I use steel purely on cost, and both the factory loads and my reloads perform well. I use nice shot and bismuth in the 8's due to damascus barrels, and nice shot exlusively in the 4 also due to the damascus barrel, and the fact bismuth fragments through it.

Mike...

Steel for me. Price again, being the main factor. However steel has come on leaps and bounds during the last few years and I`ve virtually forgotten about my lead days!!. I`ve tried the others and they do have advantages over steel but for my kind of shooting steel does all that I want. I use Gamebore and Remington. In sizes BB,1,2, and 3.

2oz tungsten no1 for the pinks are brilliant! and for ducks either victory 36g no3 steel or clever 34g no4 tungsten, all fantastic if i do my bit! (which is rare since i wildfowl on the shore for a week a year :no: :no: :cry1: and inland its pretty hard to miss!) SOMEONE MAKE A FORESHORE IN THE NORTH EAST FOR ME!!!!! ps if you can bring pinks its even better

2oz tungsten no1 for the pinks are brilliant! and for ducks either victory 36g no3 steel or clever 34g no4 tungsten, all fantastic if i do my bit! (which is rare since i wildfowl on the shore for a week a year :no: :no: :cry1: and inland its pretty hard to miss!) SOMEONE MAKE A FORESHORE IN THE NORTH EAST FOR ME!!!!! ps if you can bring pinks its even better

What about holy island, when I shot it it was loaded with wigeon and several large skeins of geese but that was in 1968.........

While I'm on, a couple of questions. All my guns I bought at least 30 years ago and my favourite is a winchester 23 3" which I had reamed out to 1/4 choke in both barrels, I also have a rem 1100 skeet 2 3/4 auto and a 1902 w&c scott sxs 10 rechambered for 3 1/2 lead magnums, 1/4 and full. Will using steel in these old guns cause damage?

• 2 weeks later...