People saying they will use shotgun to defend themselves

b16jus

blimey what it is to live in fear, I usually forget to lock the back door over night and sleep pretty soundly. Car keys are usually in the kitchen etc but the only access is via a side passageway and the Wirehaired muppet is up and barking as soon as the gate goes. In the dark she sounds like something posessed so good luck to anyone they sure won't be making a stealthy entrance

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't live in the UK anymore, but I think this is the most stupid topic on pw I've ever seen...

Your fac-officer is probably also reading this, as are the undesirable characters who cause these troubles...

What you do or won't do when people come in your house uninvited should be kept for you and these people alone...

I think the thread is pretty ridiculous too, but I sincerely doubt FEOs cruise these forums to gain information on people. For a start getting the site to turnover personal information isn't easy. It is a comment that appears frequently and with no evidence to support it.

I think the thread is pretty ridiculous too, but I sincerely doubt FEOs cruise these forums to gain information on people. For a start getting the site to turnover personal information isn't easy. It is a comment that appears frequently and with no evidence to support it.

My FEO certainly reads it occasionally, and can quote some of the dafter comments. He says he is glad there are no real names and addresses available. :yp:

I'm surprised by the number of people that would go and face an intruder - I sure wouldn't! My house is intentionally laid out so that the office desk can block the stairs (they've got a 90 degree bend at the top that the desk could be shoved into quickly so you can't get past). That would give me more than enough time to get a gun and back myself into a corner where the only access they would have to me is in clear view.

Once that was done I'd shout my position and they can feel free to leave with or without some of my stuff whilst I called the police. I couldn't care less if they take the telly and the car. If on the other hand they take the time to wriggle their way past the desk and approach me, well they'd get half way across the room I was in and then there would be some serious mess to clear up because I wouldn't be taking any prisoners.

My take on it is that if they're coming for me after a warning that a firearm is involved then they're either on drugs or crazy. If they leave with the whole contents of the downstairs of my house it's a better deal than losing my certificates for life and/or going to prison as any item can be replaced. Killing a thief is excessive and I wouldn't want to do that to someone who could well straighten out and be a decent person later in life (I was no angel myself when I was in my teens). Still, I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six if they're daft enough to push me.

I think the thread is pretty ridiculous too, but I sincerely doubt FEOs cruise these forums to gain information on people.

On the contrary, there would be some very squeaky bottoms if our more macho posters realised how many Police and Government registrations there are using this forum.

So many people misunderstanding the law. You don't decide not to use a shotgun because you worry about your licence, if you use lethal force of any kind it's because you are in genuine fear for your own life or that of other residents, losing your gun licence doesn't even come into the equation - the situation has to be way past that.

I reckon the safest thing to keep "under the bed" is a couple of door wedges. Get your family into a room ( preferably with a fire escape window), phone the police, wedge the door and wait. If the criminals start breaking the door down then it's time to defend yourself with any means at hand. If you can't get together into a room then the top of stairs position must be next choice, in my ( unqualified ) opinion the stairs then become the rubicon and I'm thinking multiple shouted warnings, preferably whilst still on the phone to the police, not an ambush.

Get this wrong and you could be spending time in prison while the criminals ( or their friends / family ) and your family are outside - that's a real issue and macho bull won't help them.

If you believe any of this is likely to happen you really need a Dobermann, you'll sleep much better.

What a pathetic society we live in , Any discussion of how we would defend ourselves in the unlikely event (But it could happen) and people are scared of the big bad government and police monitoring our talk and coming in and taking our guns... How does one go about moving to the states again?

Look it up Google USA imigration and :bye2:

:lol: :lol: **** firing a warning blast out of my shotgun and having to rebuild/repair half my house, that is not an option, if I am in such fear for mine or my families safety the shot will be directed at the cause of this fear and my redecorating will largely be down to removing blood stains! :D :D :good: :good:

I think-- we think on the same lines!! I read so many posts about having to go unlock the cabinet??? I keep a gun in the bedroom and ready for immediate use--if needed. No one wants to take anothers life but the saying here is better tried by 12 than carried by 6. If there is an intruder in your house he means you no good and may be high on crack or meth and probably isn't the type you reason with anyway. He is there to remove the belongings you worked for and possibly your families lives if they interrupt. If you have any stones at all you realize sitting on the bed and hoping they leave soon isn't a manly option and would prompt a normal thinking woman to rethink what she married.

If you have any stones at all you realize sitting on the bed and hoping they leave soon isn't a manly option and would prompt a normal thinking woman to rethink what she married.

Easy for you to say, sitting in USA. Over here your wife could be wondering when you'd be elligible for parole.

I think-- we think on the same lines!! I read so many posts about having to go unlock the cabinet??? I keep a gun in the bedroom and ready for immediate use--if needed. No one wants to take anothers life but the saying here is better tried by 12 than carried by 6. If there is an intruder in your house he means you no good and may be high on crack or meth and probably isn't the type you reason with anyway. He is there to remove the belongings you worked for and possibly your families lives if they interrupt. If you have any stones at all you realize sitting on the bed and hoping they leave soon isn't a manly option and would prompt a normal thinking woman to rethink what she married.

Well, in our country we are required to keep our guns locked up. That's sensible as well as being a requirement. In our country, we hardly ever have anyone injured or killed by a gun kept 'ready for use' and lying around where kids and criminals can get hold of them.

And over here, if we use any kind of force to defend ourselves, we have to justify our actions.

And if I had a wife who thought less of me because I choose to avoid violence if at all possible, I would get rid of her:)

Easy for you to say, sitting in USA. Over here your wife could be wondering when you'd be elligible for parole.

At least she would have that option!

Well, in our country we are required to keep our guns locked up. That's sensible as well as being a requirement. In our country, we hardly ever have anyone injured or killed by a gun kept 'ready for use' and lying around where kids and criminals can get hold of them.

And over here, if we use any kind of force to defend ourselves, we have to justify our actions.

And if I had a wife who thought less of me because I choose to avoid violence if at all possible, I would get rid of her:)

I think avoiding violence is great BUT if someone has broken into your home haven't they initiated a breach of some etiquette there?

I am not John Wayne but do feel obligated to protect myself and loved ones--if someone enters my home in the wee hours to do me harm--well. What she says and what she really thinks may be contrary.

If you point a gun at someone it is not an act of defence.It is an act of aggression lets be clear on that. Anyone that thinks diffident is misguided. It is one of the most aggressive things you can do.If you point a weapon at someone it means you want to do them harm. How can that be a act of defence

Again an act of aggression has already occurred when they broke in. Or was he just lost and happened in at 2 am? Drug abuse is prevalent here and the local cops tell me that most break ins occur when druggies need another fix and will take outrageous chances to satisfy their needs and aren't thinking clearly to begin with. We as rational thinking people abhor taking a life, my police friends tell me they would shoot first then deal with the legalities. It comes down to exactly at what point do you say they have crossed that line. With me they crossed it when they crossed the thresh hold or window sill. A smart thief plans, an addict reacts to opportunity and stimulus----big difference in outcomes.

If you point a gun at someone it is not an act of defence.It is an act of aggression lets be clear on that. Anyone that thinks diffident is misguided. It is one of the most aggressive things you can do.If you point a weapon at someone it means you want to do them harm. How can that be a act of defence

I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense.

There can be situations where the only way of staying alive is to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. In that situation, it's an act of perfectly legal self defence, not an act of aggression.

I'm not one of those people who think it's OK to use a gun just because someone is stealing or damaging my property, but if I truly believe that my life, or the life of another person, is in real and immediate danger then I am entitled to do whatever it takes to protect that life, up to and including the use of a gun.

I just dont get this fascination with turning our sporting firearms into weapons.

I wonder since the proposed change to the law was announced how many similar threads there are on cricketing and golfing forums debating the legal nuances of using the tools of their sport such as a cricket bat or 9 iron on intruders. Not many I would wager, so I do have to wonder how much this really has to do with acts of self defence as a last resort as opposed to how much it has to do with imagining an excuse to leap about your house in your pants at 3am with your tricked out Mossberg like Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

I don't think it's a fascination Zapp, it's a common sense judgement that if we are put in danger and can get to our guns they are by far the best line of defense. I've got several mates who I wouldn't go for with a bat or knife because they could disarm me and put me to the floor in great pain (or kill me if they wished) faster than I can blink. Chances are they could do the same to you and most other members here too. Hand on hand fighting is fine of you know who you're dealing with. BUT.., Put me ten paces away from them with a shotgun and they have a problem. If they get to me I'm in trouble, but I have pretty much the only tool on the planet that can stop them long before we make physical contact. That moves them from a 99% chance of beating me to a 99% chance of them not even making those ten paces - is considering the use of that tool when you're in real trouble such a macho thing? I'd put it right at the top of the common sense department myself.

I'd say a great many people here would hate to shoot someone. At the same time I would hate to sit and watch someone rape my girlfriend because I made the mistake of trying to stop them with my Maglite when I had a gun available! Sod the license and what the law says - when it comes to the crunch me and my loved ones come first and what happens later doesn't matter. There are plenty of places you can shoot someone and they'll be ok anyway so it's not like you're committing murder, just ABH.

as a reply to rocksalt its not a myth i have had a taste from an irate farmer we where in his barn enjoying a eggs fight with some freinds he chased us to open fields an shot some at us it stings for some days after and leaves red hit marks but goes after 3 days if we closer it would have broken the skin and been worse that was in my younger days in the 1950's, so rock salt may fit the bill for this instaed of blanks

1st shot with blank to warn 2nd to hit in the legs

Edited by armourer

This thread is a joke.

We have a suggestion that a non-lethal wound would be ABH and others suggesting using rock-salt at the legs.

Even using a blank firer to scare people will land you in prison unless you are in genuine fear for your life. Christ, you can't even shoot a woodpigeon unless you have tried to scare it away first.

Ok, so some years ago, myself and mrs MM are in bed asleep one night. We hear all type of noises downstairs and voices. Im straight on the phone, talking loudly, and mrs MM is getting dressed. Before i can pull my pants on, she is out of the bedroom and down the stairs screaming like a god knows what. Would i defend myself and my family? without a doubt.

I don't think it's a fascination Zapp, it's a common sense judgement that if we are put in danger and can get to our guns they are by far the best line of defense. I've got several mates who I wouldn't go for with a bat or knife because they could disarm me and put me to the floor in great pain (or kill me if they wished) faster than I can blink. Chances are they could do the same to you and most other members here too. Hand on hand fighting is fine of you know who you're dealing with. BUT.., Put me ten paces away from them with a shotgun and they have a problem. If they get to me I'm in trouble, but I have pretty much the only tool on the planet that can stop them long before we make physical contact. That moves them from a 99% chance of beating me to a 99% chance of them not even making those ten paces - is considering the use of that tool when you're in real trouble such a macho thing? I'd put it right at the top of the common sense department myself.

I'd say a great many people here would hate to shoot someone. At the same time I would hate to sit and watch someone rape my girlfriend because I made the mistake of trying to stop them with my Maglite when I had a gun available! Sod the license and what the law says - when it comes to the crunch me and my loved ones come first and what happens later doesn't matter. There are plenty of places you can shoot someone and they'll be ok anyway so it's not like you're committing murder, just ABH.

This is the type of logic I use, I know there are some bad people out there and have seen people high on crystal meth look like Superman as far as pain tolerance goes. You have no idea who you are dealing with in that situation and it would be a bad time to have underestimated the threat.

I think any discussion such as this is no joke and is useful in that it forces you to consider what you are capable of. The old saying"if you pull it be prepared to use it" rings true, don't be disarmed and shot with your own gun. If you know you can't ---Don't put yourself in that position.