Eley lightening. Ultra high performance steel.

Totsy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read in the mag green ones shoot better as they are stiffer.

golly, gosh it must have been hard filling the mag this time

Well that seals the issue for me. Don't do red. I'll stick with my Gamebore because they're blue!!!

yeah, and that goes great with my favourite top

I managed to get hold of some of the Eley VIP HP Steel 32 gr 5s at the weekend. Only fired 4 shells at wigeon over a flash - result 1 miss and 3 very dead birds. I have to confess I was a bit dubious about using no 5 in steel but my fears were groundless. I like Gamebore shells , but their no 5 in steel are almost usless. Eley recomend the max range for steel VIP as 40m and I can well beleve them. A hard hitting very stingy shell , but one disadvantage , they sent my ears ringing after a few shots. Acording to the info they are 1330 fps so for 2 3\4 inch shell pretty fast.

Eley VIP steel - £ 8.80 a box of 25. I think the £300 per 1000 quoted is the wholesale price.

Look forward to getting hold of the 3 inch lighting. The cases arre strongly ribbed so that willm help to seperate them in the dark !

Albert , they are red not black cased.

Edited by anser2

I would not normaly use no 4 steel for any duck shooting in the Gamebore range. They will work for shots up to 35 yards , but even when shooting a flash you frequently get longer range shooting with the second barrel. I mainly use 36 gr 3s and step up to a 3.5 inch load in 2s for high mallard. However the Eley VIP is a new load faster than other 2 3\4 inch loads and I was very surprised with the results.

Edited by anser2

I would not normaly use no 4 steel for any duck shooting in the Gamebore range. They will work for shots up to 35 yards , but even when shooting a flash you frequently get longer range shooting with the second barrel. I mainly use 36 gr 3s and step up to a 3.5 inch load in 2s for high mallard. However the Eley VIP is a new load faster than other 2 3\4 inch loads and I was very surprised with the results.

i think we can take this shot size thing too far and 35yds is a long shot for many over flashes at least of what i see as a flash and how the deycoys go out- i wouldn't generally try the no.3 after 40 tops on tide and hold little faith in longer shooting of duck than that generally regardless of shot size, it dont matter how much more energy you have you need stikes in the right spot and fewer pellets can work against you also theres a fair difference in say teal and mallard in size. i have used various no4 over flashes previous and i cannot say they kill any less effectively than no.3 36grm gamebore. supose to some a flash can be quite large though as there is no british std for "flash" measurement

Has anyone found a gunshop that stocks the Eley lightning 3 inch steel yet ? Three Eley stockests I have contacted have said they cant get them and one guy was promised them this week , an Eley order did arrive yesterday with various Eley shells , but the Lightning were not with them. It looks as though Eley may have pushed the advertising before they have the shells ready for dispatch.

Has anyone found a gunshop that stocks the Eley lightning 3 inch steel yet ? Three Eley stockests I have contacted have said they cant get them and one guy was promised them this week , an Eley order did arrive yesterday with various Eley shells , but the Lightning were not with them. It looks as though Eley may have pushed the advertising before they have the shells ready for dispatch.

Good luck with your search anser2. Eley are shocking around here. If you talk to most of the RFD's in the county they've fallen out with Eley. It's damned hard getting their stuff. Recently it was impossible to buy Eley .22 LR subsonics in the county, incredible considering the amount of bunny shooting done in Norfolk. If I see any of these new steel shells on shelves locally i'll let you know.