Ferals,Foxes,Feasants and a ****.Duck that is.

sako751sg

Had a wee word with the chickadee on one of the farms i get on and she mention the mess of keech the feral doos were making in her sheds so went oot with Mac last night to thin them oot a bit.Was going for a lamp after it so took the .17 Hmr,.243 and the slugger for the doos.Fine early dark so went over at the back of 6 and right enough the sheds had plenty of doos roosting in them.Shared the shooting with Mac and we ended up with 42 doon and only 10 or so made it away as it was pretty light with the biggish moon and they could see a route out.Great bit of kit the Webley and way quicker without having to break barrel for every shot.Also had a lamp around the place but only saw roe and nay foxes.

Then headed 8 miles away where i have about 2500 acres thats covered from the road but nothing showing except roe again,and it wasnt till we were on the last place trying for a rabbit when we spied a fox lying curled up on top of a stray bale.Sat watching him for a 10 mins and then tried a squeak and the result was a fox legging in from around 400 yards away.Was still sitting in the Jeep and nay ready for this so gave Mac the lamp,grabbed the .17 and set up on the bonnet.Mac turned the light on and the fox had crossed the roadand came in to around the hunner,so squeak again and again he came legging in.Next time the lamp was on he was around 50,and sat looking at us so i put the pill in the middle of the chest.I nice thud came back but he spun around and legged it through a fence,stopped,and the next shot stopped him in his tracks.The first shot was a good one and he wouldnt have gone much more but better to make sure.

Next was to cover a wee bit of the ground already covered on the way hame,and lamping along the road showed a set of red eyes only 40 yards in so i stopped the motor,put Mac on the lamp and took oot the wee rifle.As i was doing this i kept squeaking and expected him to be gone but when Mac shone he was sitting looking head on at us.Plenty time,squeezed the trigger and realised nothing was up the spoot so bolted,squeezed again and he dropped.For how wary they can be you get times like this when it seems so easy.A big dog fox and good to get another two off the ground.

Heeld oot this morning with it being a cracking frosty day for a walk roond hoping for a puckle pheasants.Covered around 250acres and loads of birds showing with the harder weather.Mac had 3 with 2 being cracking shots for the wee .410 and again the huge smiles make the day.We ended up with 11 with Rab doing a grand job and Jakes first time working went well enough too.

Took a bag of barley with us so went to feed one of the ponds the mallard have been using.With the frost lingering for the last few days and the big moon we didnt expect much to come in and right enough the pond was solid.4 mallard did come in and i managed to drop one duck,fluffed the second and Mac didnt get a shot off.We hung around to pitch black and birds were still coming in but way too dark to shoot but ducks can be unpredictable around the big moon time.All in another top weekend.

js46_002-11.jpgjs46_003-8.jpgjs46_006-8.jpgjs46_008-6.jpgjs46_009-5.jpgjs46_011-3.jpgjs46_013-2.jpgjs46_012-7.jpgjs46_014-6.jpgjs46_026-2.jpgjs46_025-3.jpgjs46_024-2.jpgjs46_016-7.jpgjs46_017-3.jpgjs46_018-3.jpgjs46_019-5.jpgjs46_020-4.jpgjs46_022-4.jpgjs46_023-3.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed that as usuall. :good: My son has camo trousers, and camo wellies, he told me the other day he needs a camo top "i find saethu gyda ti Daddy" (to go shooting with you Daddy) i was delighted, however his Mum and Grandmother were not impressed! :hmm:

Tight Lines

Aled

A nice warming read! Father and Son time well spent! I know what you mean about the constant breaking of barrel to chamber and missing out on the next shot!

I bought a Career 707 carbine. 10 shot winchester action with the power adjuster to wind down the output, This is ideal for barn shooting :yes:

Hope your next trip is as productive :good: