Whiskey suggestions?

njc110381

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentleman Jack is a very nice tipple.

Makers mark is a lovely bourbon, had a bottle of JD single barrel, not as nice as gentleman jack IMO, tried the new honey jack which was different too sweet neat for me.

Edited by HDAV

Sounds like you're not so keen on really peaty, so try Highland Park. Its sweeter and brighter and damn good. Smooth as silk. I like peat butTalisker is a bit hot for me and Laphroaig slighly antiseptic. I prefer smokey peat. Caol Ila gets my vote as well. Fantastic smell. My favourite though has to be the ten year old Ardbeg. If you've ever stood in a blackhouse on the isle of Harris with a peat fire burning in the middle of the floor, that's how Ardbeg tastes. I gave up drinking several years ago, but if I started again tomorrow the first thing I'd buy would be a bottle of Ardbeg.

Well going by the list of those you aint so keen on we can miss out anything heavily peated, so most of my favourites are def not worth suggesting lol.

Probably the biggest mainstream whisky I would suggest to you would be The Macallan, always a nice sweetness to it due to the sherry casks they use, most whisky lovers will enjoy it :good:

Another for you to try and get would be from the smallest distillery in Scotland and again got to say this is a smashing malt :good: Its called Edradour and you should pick up their 10yr old for around the 30quid mark. If you aint tried this one then take a chance and order it as its cracking drink :friends:

I would also give a thumbs up for the Oban as others have said as its a lovely malt but has a bit more punch than the two I have suggested above. If you can manage to find yourself a bottle of Rosebank (now closed and getting a bit pricey and harder to find) for your 50quid then grab it with both hands and then come back on here thanking me when youve tried it :good: Its a lowland malt from Camelon and is a really really nice tipple, nowt fancy but smooth as silk and a cracking malt! I have a bit of an addicition for collecting this one and have too many bottles to mention on a forum where my missus might find out about it lol.

I used to say "there are no bad malts, just some I like more than others!" However that was before I tried Ledaig!! YUCK bloody horrible stuff lol.

Right thats all I can manage as I am currently stuck on a dry island and the talk off my favourite drink knowing I cant get a dram for more than a week is driving me daft lol. Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Penderyn a lovely Welsh tipple or Chapter 6 The English whiskey co!

Lampy

Agree with that recommendation, if you wish to have a nice Single malt, try The Ileach Cask Strength! If you like Laphroig, this is better....

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/scotch-whisky/single-malt-whisky/the-ileach/cask-strength-whisky/

Got my whisky sorted out for the festive period. There was an auction on The Hunting Life, to raise funds in memory of a user there who died of a brain hemorrhage. Nice bloke, many users put up lots for auction, I managed to win an auction for a 4.5 litre bottle of Bells whisky (based around the Blair Atholl single malt by the way), for £50, we had to collect it but seeing as the seller was less than 40 miles away it made sense!

some of the suggestions above (based on your dislike and like list) are baffling. Don't get me wrong- I love bruichladdich as one of the best in the world for me, but it wouldn't be your thing. As M3vert said, peat is not your thing. You're very much a speyside/lowland kinda drinker- plenty of grain, oak, vanilla, a bit of fruit, little or no peat, no phenolics, no smoke.

Most anything from a speyside distillery wouldn't be a bad start for you. I'm a fan of glenfiddich and glenlivet 18. I think both are very good value for money. I'm not a macallan fan, but it would be worth a try for you. Aberlour is great if you like the fruit notes a bit more. Edradour is a very nice, unique malt. Penderyn is also nice, though too high priced for what you get compared to some scotches. Tomatin 15 is another clean drinker (if you can find it), also a really neat distillery if you're near Inverness. Glengoyne is fantastic. The 15 is a very smooth, easy drinker. They have a few specialty ones as well which are very good, though hard to find. Given your likes, Glengoyne would be the first one I'd advise you try. They have a 10 and a 15 that are commonly available. At MSRP the 15 is worth the extra money. If the 10 is on sale and the 15 not, then start with the 10.

An unusual one not suggested is Yamazaki. The Yamazaki 12 (not so much the 10) is excellent. If you see it out at a bar, try it. Very smooth speyside style, just from a few thousand miles from speyside.

thanks

rick