DIY

terence

Hi do you think this will make a difference house as got ash felt flours was thinking of puting a flour on top of this useing tounge and grouve chipboard do you think it will make it feel any warmer and be worth the work cost will be less than £100 to do the downstairs thanks

Hi do you think this will make a difference house as got ash felt flours was thinking of puting a flour on top of this useing tounge and grouve chipboard do you think it will make it feel any warmer and be worth the work cost will be less than £100 to do the downstairs thanks

Terence,

it should make a difference. If you needed more insulation you could add a layer of laminate floor insulation under the chipboard.

Ste

I should check out the dampness of the floor carefully, even via condensation and even then fit an insulating water barrier under. We have a section of solid floor here i fitted waterproof screed / visqueen then an isulating barrier under laminate on part and waterproof backed carpet matting on the other after the screed and visqueen of course.

If you do this check levels well first and sort all the implications of the extra layer as regards doors, skirtings etc.

For less than £100 I guess it is worth a try, although i'm no expert. My house just has plain flours but a builder friend of mine was telling me just last week that these days they use self raising to get new builds up quickly and cheaply. My Mrs was talking about laying strong white in our house so I gave it a shot but made a wholemeal of it.

• 4 weeks later...

For less than £100 I guess it is worth a try, although i'm no expert. My house just has plain flours but a builder friend of mine was telling me

just last week that these days they use self

raising to get new builds up quickly and cheaply.

My Mrs was talking about laying strong white in

our house so I gave it a shot but made a

wholemeal of it.

Brilliant!! But you shouldn't knock grammar and spelling as it stems creativity and imagination!!

Well, that's what they said back in the 80's!!

GH

• 2 weeks later...

I presume you refer to the 1950's and 60's type asphaltic floor screeds, they do have a different name but I can't remember it.

Couple of things; this is a covering on a concrete floor, normally about an 1" thick you can go over it but to insulate the floor you need much more than chipboard.

There is a product called tri iso which is a silver quilted insualtion sheet, very thin and very very good, often used to insulate over roof rafters, but very expensive.

Problem if you put it on the floor will be condensation, as the warm side of a cold area will create condensation. So you would need to check with the manufacturer first.

Other than that I would break up the asphaltic floor and lay electric underfloor heating on 20/25mm insulation and lay screed over and laminate/wood flooring. all these ideas will require a significant rise in the finished floor height

Or just carpet the lot over that would be as good if not better than chipboard, and better looking.

Good luck

For less than £100 I guess it is worth a try, although i'm no expert. My house just has plain flours but a builder friend of mine was telling me just last week that these days they use self raising to get new builds up quickly and cheaply. My Mrs was talking about laying strong white in our house so I gave it a shot but made a wholemeal of it.

had to read that twice, effin brilliant. :lol: :lol:

:good: that made me lol