RWS .22 HP subsonics

I picked my daughter up today from university for the Christmas break and she filled the motor up with "stuff". It was a miserable journey, poured down, there and back.

Some therapy was needed on the way home. I had a browse and picked up 100 rounds of RWS .22 HP subsonics to try. In truth i've been really happy shooting .22 Eley subs which shoot clover leaf groups at 65 yards.

You all know what this shooting game is, it's nice to try something new every now and again. I opened a box at home and they are covered in some sort of lubricant and I couldn't see a bullet with a hollow point in it!

So anybody got any experiences using these RWS rounds? Opinions welcomed but so far to be honest i'd condem them to the plinking box!

My .22LR is an Anshutz 1417 G XIV with a SAK moderator.

Thanks gents.

Edited by Whitebridges

Yes, I've used them in my anschutz 1417. They're covered in a greasy wax that can fill the hollowpoint. I'd did however find them accurate but I don't think they expand as much as the eleys. Very quiet and around 85 ft lbs muzzle energy if I remember. Little bit down on energy but I don't think it was of any detriment. I think you'll find them ok, I can't say I didn't like them anyway. My anschutz isn't a particularly ammo fussy gun anyway. Seems to work pretty well with whatever I feed it on. I think eleys just have the edge though, for me.

When i was going through the "see what your gun likes" phase, i tried RWS, Remmington, Winchester and Eley. I came back to Eley as first choice, Winchester as second and RWS and Remmington were rubbish. I can't remember if it was the RWS or Remmingtons that had some supersonic ones in the box. Gun was CZ 452. Like you say very waxy round.

I had a couple bricks of winchester subs that were the same as you describe, at a quick glance there seemed to be no hollow in the point at all but it didnt affect the performance at all. I wouldnt worry about it, if they perform to your liking then thats all that matters :good:

Found them very accurate but hellish expensive compared to what I pay for eley....but it might just be the robbing so and so's at north Wales shooting school...I remember buying 400 rounds of different subs and paying more than I pay for 1000 eley from the club

Atb

John

Try Valley Arms in Ruthin for ammo. Significantly cheaper than NWSS and good people to deal with.

Found them very accurate but hellish expensive compared to what I pay for eley....but it might just be the robbing so and so's at north Wales shooting school...I remember buying 400 rounds of different subs and paying more than I pay for 1000 eley from the club

Atb

John

The last lot of Eley subs i bought were £3.50 a box (50). These RWS subs were £4.75!!

Thanks for all your replies fellas, appreciated.

I tried a box this morning on targets. At 40 yards bang on, then pushed the range out to 50 yards then 75 yards. Good groupings on a breezy day shooting off sticks. Groups were about 1-1.5 inches lower than the Eley and not quite as tight.

I was impressed though more so than I thought i'd be. Very very quiet round, no crackers or poppers. I could get used to these very steady and consistent.