fac air rifle

ash w

It depends on what you want. You can get an MFR, (now out of business), at 30 ft/lbs, they are good. Daystate do several pcp's but they cost. If you are just starting out try the Hatsan range. If you want a long lasting rifle and you can handle the recoil, try an HW80K, absolutely awesome but they kick more than a .22LR or even a .410 shotgun, but they are great. Very accurate, but you will need a scope with an arrester pin or the scope will slide and make sure the scope is suitable for a spring rifle with kick, some cheap ones will be destroyed. Expect to pay around £200 for a used HW80K as a standard sub 12 ft/lbs rifle. The easiest way to get one is to buy a sub 12 ft/lbs rifle, then get the FAC and then increase the ft/lbs and put it on your ticket. Don't increase the power before you have your FAC, or big trouble with the Police.

The advantage of the guns with big bottles is that FAC guns take a shed load of air; so conversions often mean drastically reduced shot capacity, so having something with a 400cc+ bottle does make sense. The Daystate Air Ranger is supposed to be one of the very best FAC guns out there, as are the rapids (if you get a good one). AVOID the HW100 in FAC like the plague. Awesome as a sub 12, but nowway near as good at higher powers.

What would the price be for a FAC rapid, either new or secondhand and do anyone know who stock them in suffolk

DONT buy new, plenty of second hand fac rapids about, I have 2 one @40ftlbs and 1 @ 30 both will shoot pellet on pellet, paid 350 for one and 400 for the other.

KW

i am lucky enough to own a daystate air ranger .22@60fpe and a rapid .20@25fpe ,

both of these guns are excellent fac air guns, also consider the bsa superten.22 at fac level

like most things its what suits you as regards size, weight, handling, i would ignore AA extra in fac

a very low shot count, where as my daystate even at 60fpe gives at least 55 full powershots,

and the .20 rapid with a 400 cc bottle even more.

atb brian

This will be a hot thread, and each to their own!

Thinking it would be a cheap way into fac air, I had an as new un molested, fac rapid mk 2 @ 40ftlbs and bought it because of the seemingly massive rapid popularity. Complete air guzzler. Loud and untameable noise levels, lousy shot count, 24 before it dropped off, silly magazine design, no pressure gauge so having to count magazines was a pain. Changing bottle was an added hassle. Leaking bottle valves, blowing o rings. I had it turned down to 34 lbs. Better shot count @ 40 odd per fill. Still as noisy as a 410. I messed around with the expense of different moderators to no avail, bought and fitted a quickfil adapter, extra buddy bottles, o rings by the dozen. It ended up costing a fortune and was still way off what I had in mind. I eventually begrudged having bought it and came to the conclusion I expected too much of fac air.

I traded it in against a new Daystate Airwolf mct 40ftlbs. A completely different package. The first thing that strikes you is its a masterpiece of beauty. Sleek lines and exquisitly designed. The balance I find totally neutral. It has a shrouded barrel which apart from being aesthetically pleasing, its makes it un believeably quiet. With the airstream carbon fibre moderator fitted it is pretty much as quiet as my sub 12ftlb HW100 although to be honest, its so quiet with just the shroud an extra mod isn't really neccesary. The electronic package is quite amazing. You can leave it as it is or change settings to beep when you need to change the magazine. The digital diplay shows the exact amount of air, unlike some iffy gauges. The trigger being electronic is awesome and allows you to follow through with the shot so easily. There are two power settings, Hi and low. Depending on which pellet you use, Hi for me is 37 ftlbs and low is 27 ftlbs Over 60 shots on the high setting and 100+ on the low. The ft/sec variation is so minimal and consistant its ridiculous. The Airwold MCT is a silent, beautifully engineered, blindingly accurate killing machine.

Obviously budget is a consideration for every one. I found its the difference between a mondeo and a Ferrari in every respect. In terms of cost, I had a great deal on mine, Daystate were doing a free hardcase promotion too. So it wasn't a great deal more expensive than the antiquated Rapid. It is 10 times more rifle in every respect.

Edited by turbo33

Everyone has their own opinion on what is best. I think it comes down to what you can get for your money as well. Personally I have a Daystate Airwolf MVT F.A.C 40lbs. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. It has the versatility of being able to alter the poundage to the venue you are shooting in. Out in the field shooting rabbits on full 40lbs or shooting pigeons in a farmers barn at 12lb or under. Or any other poundage you want in between. The downside is they are not cheap at the moment they are about £1700. Some people think that for that price you might as well get a rimfire and two air rifles one FAC and one standard, but it is about versatility i can take one rifle out and shoot all situations. Not having to cart three different rifles about. The best advice I can give is buy the best you can afford.

And the same price as a new MK2 rapid................absolutely no contest.........Daystate all the way!!!!

There is good and bad in all of them, if your post 14 above about the Theoben is accurate then you got a real bad one, their performance and shot count is excellent.

As for the Daystate, well, a certain gentleman I had to mentor for larger had an Air Ranger at 80ft lb, it was brand new and if he was lucky if he got 8 shots out of it, usually 6, and no two were ever the same power, it went back to Daystate several times before he moved it on, NOTHING wrong with it according to them! :hmm:

OK, so as I said, my rapid has a shot count of 80 full power shots at 31fpe from the tiny 280cc bottle before the power starts to drop. It will put pellet on pellet at the zero range of 41 yards. It is utterly silent thanks to a fully hugget shrouded 16" barrel and benefits from a perfectly smooth, mechanical two stage trigger.

I wouldn't part with it for the world.

All the work has been completed by Ben Taylor, I wouldn't trust anyone else. His conversion of my TTR1 from 12fpe to FAC is awesome and his regulator design is simply the nuts. Worth every penny!

Edited by mick miller

OK, so as I said, my rapid has a shot count of 80 full power shots at 31fpe from the tiny 280cc bottle before the power starts to drop. It will put pellet on pellet at the zero range of 41 yards. It is utterly silent thanks to a fully hugget shrouded 16" barrel and benefits from a perfectly smooth, mechanical two stage trigger.

I wouldn't part with it for the world.

All the work has been completed by Ben Taylor, I wouldn't trust anyone else. His conversion of my TTR1 from 12fpe to FAC is awesome and his regulator design is simply the nuts. Worth every penny!

Your experience of Rapids echo mine, I haven't experienced nor would I expect any thing less than 100% satisfaction from Rapids.

Anyone who has had a bad experience with one has probably bought it second hand and it has been fiddled at by some 'DIY gunsmith'

Setup properly(as I've said before) I believe they are fantastic

Rich