Cartridge for Pinks

Wildfowler12

The Mrs spoilt me for Xmas and suprised me with a shooting trip to Scotland next week :good: Amongst other things on the agenda, there is a morning flight for Pinks over deeks inland, something I've never done before (I usually shoot the foreshore).

Can any of you recommend some suitable cartridges? I'm well conversed in good non-tox loads and have plenty of them for the other trips she's planned, but for the inland pinks I was thinking maybe 36g lead No.4s? Does this sound about right?

Edited by Wildfowler12

My preference would 36g 3's if it's a 2 3/4" gun but if its a 3" gun I would use 50g 3's or BB. Last season and so far this season I have been using RC50 in 3's or 0's. But having said that I have shot plenty geese with 36g 4's, just keep them close.

Hope you have a good time up among the geese and good luck :good:

I'll be using my Supernova (3 1/2' Chamber) as per, my usual carts are 42g Gamebore mammoth steel BB's and 32g/36g Gamebore steel 3's. I'll use these where non-tox is required, and I think I'll probably get some 36g 4s and some heavy lead 1s incase we get them on a flight line??

Having said all that, I'm half tempted to just stick to the steel, as it's what I'm used too, and I know it works.

36-42 grams of number 3 would be my choice 4s should be ok for decoyed birds if they are close though , I would think 50 grams of BBs would be a bit overkill for decoying pinks are not the biggest of birds.

I did think that after I posted that pinks aren't as big as Greylags.

Having said all that, I'm half tempted to just stick to the steel, as it's what I'm used too, and I know it works.

Stick with, if you are confident in what you use and know the limits you will probably do better.

You havent said where in Scotland you are going so even though you may be decoying over `pink` decoys do not be supprised if you find some greys are around as well. 42gm - 50gm 3`s & 1`s is what i usually have with me and I use a 3.5" Baikal for all my fowling both on the shore and inland for geese. Expect the unexpected, some times the geese will come right into your decoys and some times they are a bit further out and higher than you think, as I am sure you already know.

A great crimbo pressie by the way. Hope you got the WFW something equally as nice.

I am sure you will let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a good selection of carts and decide what's most appropriate when I'm in the hide with the guide.

We're staying in Dalbeattie and most of the shooting is around that area. I'll probably get a permit for the solway (Clarencefield area) when I'm there too. I guess the Pink flight location will depend on where they're feeding, so I won't know that until nearer the time, I suppose it depends on the guides recon.

I met a few guides when we went last year, and I don't know which ones the Mrs has been dealing with, so all I know at the minute is that it's all in SW Scotland (Dumfries area). It's my birthday whilst we're there, and my partners parents have told me they're paying for a flight for me too! So it'll be a fun 4 days, and hopefully I can keep us well fed! I'll do a full write up when I'm home!

have you patterned these loads to see whitch throws the best pattern .after all you dont want to come unstuck imho.

That's a very good shout, and with that in mind I may just stick to my gamebore steel loads. As I've pattern tested them several times and know what cartridge/choke combo works well for me :good: unless of course I get time to pattern some new loads. Cheers

Edited by Wildfowler12

Gambore black gold or eley vip a mate of mine goes scotland a bit with guides and that's all he ever uses in 34grm 4 or 5s and he swears by them. But other wise just stick with what you know as you know your limits and its boundaries.

That's pretty light weight. Fine if they are close but as soon as you stretch the range I'd say it's not enough

That's pretty light weight. Fine if they are close but as soon as you stretch the range I'd say it's not enough

I know lads who use black golds 34grm 5s inland on the pinks there good I must admit when the geese are right in on to the decoys they do the job, I have shot with some lads who use them but as soon as the geese turn and flare after your first shot there further out and your second third shot you need something with a bit more to knock them down on there way out, I personally use RC's, winchester xx which are really rare now or fiocchi anything from 4's to BB's, the winchesters are the best in my opion for range and if any lads on here know where I could get hold of some please pm me I would really appreciate it.

Hope everyone has a cracking new year.

Winchester xx used to be my favourite shell back in the good old days of lead loads & I would use them too now inland in Scotland. I see Just Cartridges sell them here http://www.justcartr.../winchester.pdf

Maybe collection from them at a Game Fair (CLA etc) would save on their delivery & make a purchace worthwhile for another season.

More readily available are the RC50's if your gun is 3", or if not how about RC40's. You could stop off at Malmo Guns on the way North as it is only 5 minutes off the motorway & have a huge selection of shells & other goodies.

Have a memorable trip. :good:

I know lads who use black golds 34grm 5s inland on the pinks there good I must admit when the geese are right in on to the decoys they do the job, I have shot with some lads who use them but as soon as the geese turn and flare after your first shot there further out and your second third shot you need something with a bit more to knock them down on there way out, I personally use RC's, winchester xx which are really rare now or fiocchi anything from 4's to BB's, the winchesters are the best in my opion for range and if any lads on here know where I could get hold of some please pm me I would really appreciate it.

Hope everyone has a cracking new year.

I would also like info on where to get them,they are very good cartridges, I have only a handful left, thellast lot I got were pricey but well worth it.

We used Victory Mini mags 3`s when we had our decoying trip a few yrs ago. What a superb cartridge they turned out to be.

Absolutely ideal for the ranges we were shooting at.

Have a great trip mate, and the best of luck,I`m sure you`ll have a great time.

Edited by Yoggy