What are you paying for your DIY shoot

Hi,

What are you paying for your DIY shoot. I am shoot captain of a shoot in Crewe. We put down 1200 pheasants and 150 duck, we normally pay £800 pound each, 9 guns.

I have had to ask the guns to pay an extra £120 over the year, as we run out of funds for wheat, we shoot 10 driven days, so far we have shot 430 Pheasants and 87 duck, with 4 shoots to go.

A couple of guns have pulled there face at paying the extra, what do you think.

Looks like you are on for a good return and even if they are, as I am sure you are, putting in the effort, that is still cheap shooting. As with anything the price is going to go up and with the weather this year feed next year will be even more so remind them to enjoy it now! Let them do the maths later and see if it is something they want to be a part of, if not I hope there will be someone there to take a place should one become available.

There's more to it than just coughing up the cash. There's the work-maintenance days, and then feeding and watering... Are the face pullers doing more than their share of the work?

No they finish feeding when clocks go back, me and my mate do all the rest and pay the same as them.

We have the standing knowledge that if corn is expensive we may have to dig a bit deeper.

I got the first 6 tonne of wheat for £150 tonne, but had to pay £200 tonne for the the last two tonne

Your shoot sounds very good value at £800 for 9 guns averaging 85 birds per outing. It's only £80 per day and is about the same as I pay, but we have 12 guns over 8 days and a 70ish bag!

Next time I'd just factor in an extra cost at the beginning and up the fee slightly - could either agree to roll on any funds left over as a discount for the following season or give it back as a Christmas bonus. Personally I'd hate to be asked for extra part way through the season.

Hi,

What are you paying for your DIY shoot. I am shoot captain of a shoot in Crewe. We put down 1200 pheasants and 150 duck, we normally pay £800 pound each, 9 guns.

I have had to ask the guns to pay an extra £120 over the year, as we run out of funds for wheat, we shoot 10 driven days, so far we have shot 430 Pheasants and 87 duck, with 4 shoots to go.

is that only £15.00 each ? if so I would not see that as a problem in the syndicate I am a member of but thats just my opnion

I`ve had to ask for an extra £70 from each of 10 guns, wheat started at £225 a ton this was up from £190 last year, we have bought 7.5 tons for 700+ birds the last 1.5 tons were at £260, per ton

Rearing pellets where one hell of a price and will be more expensive next season.

Your shoot like ours is a value for money shoot and guns must realise that, if they`re moaning at the extra tell them to go and find it cheaper.

is that only £15.00 each ? if so I would not see that as a problem in the syndicate I am a member of but thats just my opnion

think you`ll find that`s £120 each

Edited by malantone

Hi,

If any of your guns pull out send me a PM seriously - I'm close enough and consider the price very fair for the returns - even with the extra (necessary at the moment) - I pay £1000 on a DIY shoot and the returns are not as good. You should not worry at all - plenty like me who would appreciate a good shoot to join.

Regards and good luck for the New Year.

Kes

Hi,

10 driven days at £80 a day is cheap. You should shoot 600, assuming 9 guns thats 65 birds each, so its under £15 a bird at £800 per year. If they buy shooting by the day they will be paying £24 for **** and well over £30 for decent birds.

At the end of season meeting tell the doubters to pay up or walk, gather the ammo to present your case.

Wheat is £250 a ton, 2 years ago it was £80, crops are so bad at present that next summers harvest will be appalling, suggest therefore you buy all the wheat you can now as the price will only rise. I have just bought 30 tonnes, that will last a season and a half.

Sounds like you have a nice shoot,

A

If try and offer that one gun gets there £120 back if a marked bird is shot, this will keep them interested and they may be lucky enough to get there money back! If it was me tho if be happy to pay the extra, at the end of the day if you don't put the time, effort and money into these shoots they will be the ones losing out and moaning when the bag is down to 40! Good luck,

900 pheasants and 300 partirdge released.

Currently on around 40% return on the pheasant, not sure of the partridge off the top of my head.

£700 ish including wheat. Still got a couple of shoots to go which I'm estimating will bring us up to around 44% on the pheasants

How many guns mate?

• 2 weeks later...

44% of 1000 birds divided by 8 guns = 55 pheasants per gun, doubt you will do better than 20% on partridges unless you are having dedicated partridge days, so another 8 parts per gun. total 63 birds, at £700 thats very very cheap indeed in my book. I assume you are getting your shooting rights for free, what else do the guns contribute as regards work etc, must be a lot as there is not the funds for a part time keeper. Are you located next to a big shoot?.

A

The above shoot is very very cheap, think i'd struggle to buy and feed the birds for the money in ur kitty. Like Alycidon says it must be fully diy with free rent, i also take it u put in for beaters on a shoot day.

I'd also say all the shoot's mentioned seem cheap and decent value shooting to me, the people who moan first/loudest are generally the members who do very little to help out or attend work parties but never miss a shoot day.

If people are moaning i'd empihsis exactly how much feed u and ur helpers have put out throu the year, i'm guessing the OP has put out something like 15T of feed since the summer that's a lot off man handling and time.

If u produce books at ur shoot meeting so everyone can see exactly where all the money has went and the price off things, some folk have no idea the money time or effort that goes into running a sydicate even a small 1.

As for pricing generally in my arrea diy syndicate shoots with around 16 guns often tend to be about £1 sub for per bird to wood (£1000 per gun= 1000 pheas to wood) any cheaper ur doing well. Most syndicates up here are paying rent too thou. I also think if ur a diy shoot and not getting birds from ur neighbours if u can avaerage year on year around the 30% return mark u are doing fairly well

Edited by scotslad

I am in the' fortunate' position of running my own small shoot with a few friends. Even after getting some very cheap birds from a game farmer friend we have still shelled out over £3K just on poults, rent, pellets and wheat. This sum does not include fuel, beaters and other sundries (over £100 in rat poison for example), or of course time. At the end of the season each bird will have cost about £25.

This mean a big bill individually but we can all invite guests to each shoot etc.

44% of 1000 birds divided by 8 guns = 55 pheasants per gun, doubt you will do better than 20% on partridges unless you are having dedicated partridge days, so another 8 parts per gun. total 63 birds, at £700 thats very very cheap indeed in my book. I assume you are getting your shooting rights for free, what else do the guns contribute as regards work etc, must be a lot as there is not the funds for a part time keeper. Are you located next to a big shoot?.

A

Hi mate. It'll be something like that. We have an understanding landowner who we give a days shooting to and him and his lad are invited to stand and work their dogs whenever they want. We keep on top of the foxes etc and try and keep the place tidy, report sick sheep etc. We all pitch in with work days, feeding, dogging in etc, IMO, the best way to have a good spirit in a shoot. No big shoots around. We have one about a 3/4 of a mile up hill from us that release around 600, but I'd be surprised if we get many of theirs, they tageed theirs a few seasons ago and we got about half a dozen during the course of the season.

The above shoot is very very cheap, think i'd struggle to buy and feed the birds for the money in ur kitty. Like Alycidon says it must be fully diy with free rent, i also take it u put in for beaters on a shoot day.

Partridges were raised by one of the guns as a bit of a trial so no charge on them as such. Likewise he did 300 of the pheasants which we got for £2 a bird, our other pheasants were £3.20.

We don't pay the beaters, I'm one of them, it's a family and friends shoot so we just do it all for free and a craic. We get a beaters day at the end of the season and a free meal at the end of season shoot do.

I am in the' fortunate' position of running my own small shoot with a few friends. Even after getting some very cheap birds from a game farmer friend we have still shelled out over £3K just on poults, rent, pellets and wheat. This sum does not include fuel, beaters and other sundries (over £100 in rat poison for example), or of course time. At the end of the season each bird will have cost about £25.

This mean a big bill individually but we can all invite guests to each shoot etc.

Been topping up rat poison dispensers today. I recon to spend 600 plus hours between the end of the season and July 1st on corvid trapping and clearing up at teh end of teh season. Jobs like collecting pegs etc, 20 drives, that takes a day.

A