Acorns & Beechmast galore

Catamong

I've noticed loads of acorns and beechmast in my area this year, that normally means that for most of the Winter the birds stay in the woods and don't venture out on to the rape until well after Christmas. Unlike last year when they were hitting the rape hard before the end of October. I've even known them stay clear of it until mid February, because contrary to popular belief, I don't think they enjoy eating the stuff, they eat it simply because they have to as there is little other food available.

Looks like I'll be doing even more clay shooting this Winter.

Cat.

They are in the woods in large numbers around my shooting area and there does seem to be a good crop of beechmast and acorns this year.

It is no doubt that this is their preferred food.

Ambush them when they go for a drink, apparently they drink a lot more when eating acorns and beechmast, I suppose there is not much natural moisture in them.

Hopefully, they will be out on the rape once the leaf goes. ???

i ALSO NOTICED BIG NUMBERS AROUND THE WOODS I THINK I ONCE READ THAT ONCE IN LIKE THE 1990S PIGEONS DIDNT TOUCH THE RAPE ALL YEAR BECUASE OF THE ACORNS

Yes, I remember it well, and don't forget that was before whirlies were invented, and true fieldcraft was required to get a decent bag.

Cat.

PS - Iain - DON'T SHOUT - IT'S RUDE.

i ALSO NOTICED BIG NUMBERS AROUND THE WOODS I THINK I ONCE READ THAT ONCE IN LIKE THE 1990S PIGEONS DIDNT TOUCH THE RAPE ALL YEAR BECUASE OF THE ACORNS

Yes, I remember it well, and don't forget that was before whirlies were invented, and true fieldcraft was required to get a decent bag.

Cat.

PS - Iain - DON'T SHOUT - IT'S RUDE.

They are starting to move a bit round my neck of the woods,,,,seen a couple of "flocks" of about 20 birds making their way around....

Loads of "corns" on the floor under the trees and loads of beech mast...............................If no piggys,,,,,,,,,,then its crows for me.

IF its safe to do so... MEANING.... you have enough land.. and know you wont miss... lol

use a air rifle... shoot them out of the trees and go back to basics...

its alot of fun... and its more work.. but none the less you will get a large amount of birds.. I did that before just sitting outside my garden... and I got near ten pigeons in less than 2 hours... not bad with a air rifle...

this also means less damnage to the meat...

just to give you another bonus.

Been out for a recce for tomorrow and found that the farmer has just finished drilling a field - loads of pigeons :good:

Flock of about 100+ with little groups spread across the field.

Other permission has only little goups at the moment though. This year he's drilled a massive amount of rape so it's going to be difficult to attract them to one area in particular. :)

P.

Went for a quick walk this evening.........

Managed to bag one woody breaking from the woods....

Opened its crop up.............full of acorns and beech mast...............never seen that before being a nuooob.....

Quite suprising at the size of the acorns,,,I thought that they bashed em and pecked them instead of necking them whole..........

Hopefully this is a sign they are about to get on the rape, I can't wait! Not had any piggy action here for ages now :lol:

Obviously shooting for crop protection, the farmers are happy with this situation, but when it changes I am sure there are hundreds of us ready to rid this agricultural menace from the cash crops :lol:

Hopefully this is a sign they are about to get on the rape, I can't wait! Not had any piggy action here for ages now :lol:

Obviously shooting for crop protection, the farmers are happy with this situation, but when it changes I am sure there are hundreds of us ready to rid this agricultural menace from the cash crops :lol:

I'll stick my neck out on this one and say that you won't see any Pigeons on rape until late January in our area.

The birds that you see on the fields now are not eating the rape, they're picking off the chickweed and grain leftovers that are still on the surface.

I hope I'm wrong, other parts of the country where there are fewer oaks & beeches will no doubt see birds earlier.

Cat

Nothing showing on winter drillings in my area of mid Cheshire, dozen here & there but nothing worth setting up for. Didnt even show on the bean stubbles, 600+ feeding on them last year for the 2wks before ploughed in.

Big acorn crop here to, anyone in cheshire havin any good days...? or just poor in my bit. :)