Back out winter Shooting

pigeon controller

I would like to start by thanking all the PW members for all there good wishes for a speedy recovery of my wife , she is progressing very well.

So Friday saw us out looking for birds and after scanning four of our rape fields and not seeing a bird we decided the keep driving until we found a flight line to pick up on. After covering many miles we came to the conclusion that nothing was moving so we had a brew and a bite. We decide to look around our wooded farms as we wondered if they were staying close to roost. and we came on a set aside field with a flock of 150 feeding hard, we clapped them off and waited, straight away they started to return . DB said that good enough for me and we phoned the farmer . He requested that we leave them and come back to his farm as he said that the birds were attacking his rape in great numbers???. So we drove the ten miles back to his farm and scanned the first field all we could see was one Hare and a Magpie so on to the second field. From the gate zero birds, so we walked out onto the field and about twenty lifted from the far edge. now some times you have to shoot even when you know that its going to be a hard day just to keep your shooting so we set up. As we walked round the field we found three old hide positions with a hundred plus empties in them!!!!!. The birds that we had lifted just sat in the trees at the far end of the field when we put a shot up they lifted and two came on into the pattern and paid the price. It was a long slow afternoon but we ended up with forty four in the bag. We dropped in at the farm to inform the farmer about the bag and also to say we do not leave empties. plus we wanted to comfirm that it was ok to go on the set aside on Saturday which he agreed.

Saturday found us full of anticipation as we drove to the set aside, when we arrived it was very spooky as the birds were all down in the trees by a main road whis is not the norm for this farm plus we saw no deer on the fields which run by the woods. We realised that they had been spooked when we saw a 4X4 driving round the edge of the golf course which runs alongside this farm. We decided to set up with our backs to the wind on the top of a bank giving the decoys the best visability. There was lots of poo on the field so they had been feeding hard on the field. It was a very slow day as they would move off as a flock with every shot and you would get one or two come back into the decoys. We ended the day with forty seven which were hard earned at this time of the year.

January2013001.jpg

January2013002.jpg

had the same yesterday(sat) took a newbie out to my perm and as you say nothing was moveing at all we had a couple come in to the field in the first 2 hours then nothing, never seen anything like it wasn,t even worth changing the pattern as there was nout in the sky,first time i,ve seen this in two years on this perm,very strange its now making me wonder if atmospheric pressure had anything to do with it ???

glad the wife is on the mend PC and all the best for the new year to you both