Air rifle for pigeons

Spud dog

Just pointing out that its ok to shoot a pheasant for fun and everyone would agree with that who go shooting, but not a pigeon thats a pest and needs controling. I know thats the law. Using a gun to kill you need to be able to block out that fluffy animal with big eyes staring at you. Like it or not it takes you past what is taken as normal

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

game birds are bred every year for shooting, pigeons and most other birds on the GL are not. the whole point of the licence is to stop people going out and shooting wild birds (whos numbers cant rely on humans like game birds do) and only allowing them to be shot if absolutely necessary, by doing so stops a drastic decline in their numbers and face being endangerd

Edited by Gizza22196

game birds are bred every year for shooting, pigeons and most other birds on the GL are not. the whole point of the licence is to stop people going out and shooting wild birds (whos numbers cant rely on humans like game birds do) and only allowing them to be shot if absolutely necessary, by doing so stops a drastic decline in their numbers and face being endangerd

You're living in a dream world mate. This is a forum based on pigeon shooting - a pastime that a huge number of people enjoy for the sheer sport of it. You're preaching to the wrong crowd.

yes, most of - if not all of the shooters on here (myself included) go pigeon shooting for the sport, but it should only be done where it needs to be done and and for the reasons the licence states. most of the pigeon shooters on here shoot on farmland which has crops that need to be protected (again, myself included) but i dont see any point in shooting pigeons in your garden when all they are doing is eating bird food which you put down for them. take compassion on the wildlife, feed the birds in your garden and shoot elswhere where it needs doing.

yes, most of - if not all of the shooters on here (myself included) go pigeon shooting for the sport, but it should only be done where it needs to be done and and for the reasons the licence states. most of the pigeon shooters on here shoot on farmland which has crops that need to be protected (again, myself included) but i dont see any point in shooting pigeons in your garden when all they are doing is eating bird food which you put down for them. take compassion on the wildlife, feed the birds in your garden and shoot elswhere where it needs doing.

are the birds in his garden not the same birds as the ones in the fields eating the farmers crops dont matter where you shoot them just shoot them

colin

You're living in a dream world mate. This is a forum based on pigeon shooting - a pastime that a huge number of people enjoy for the sheer sport of it. You're preaching to the wrong crowd.

No one is preaching, just informing the ignorant of the laws that given shooting. Remember that this is an open forum and showing that you don't know the GL or the law just hands more ammunition to those that want shooting banned. Most of the pigeon shooters on here understand the law so don't tar them with your brush.

No one is preaching, just informing the ignorant of the laws that given shooting. Remember that this is an open forum and showing that you don't know the GL or the law just hands more ammunition to those that want shooting banned. Most of the pigeon shooters on here understand the law so don't tar them with your brush.

I'm not taring anyone! The vast majority of pigeon shooters on here shoot for the sport but can justify that sport by satisfying the terms of the GL.

I'm well aware of the law and the GL.

If you honestly believe everyone goes pigeon shooting purely to satisfy the terms of the GL then you are sorely mistaken. At the end of the day we do it for the sport otherwise it would be a chore.

I shoot for the joy of shooting. I shoot live for the extra challenge involved and the bonus that if I hit one, I can take it home and eat it. It's how I justify my shooting. It's not illegal, and I eat what I shoot, in the same way that I eat what fish i catch unless they are protected.

I like fresh meat and am a carnivore, but will freely admit that it's the shooting that's the draw and everything else is bonus.

I don't think it's any worse than say caravanning, or come to that horse racing, caravanning adds to pollution through extra fuel consumption s is bad for the enviroment, horses fall and die in horse racing, some will argue thats cruel. We enjoy what we enjoy and at the end of it, if you aren't breaking any laws you really don't need to make excuses for what you do.

I'm not taring anyone! The vast majority of pigeon shooters on here shoot for the sport but can justify that sport by satisfying the terms of the GL.

I'm well aware of the law and the GL.

If you honestly believe everyone goes pigeon shooting purely to satisfy the terms of the GL then you are sorely mistaken. At the end of the day we do it for the sport otherwise it would be a chore.

Exactly, that's why shooting pigeons in your garden 'just for fun' can't be justified by the GL. As I've said before It's got nothing to do with my own ideas on shooting its just the law and open forums aren't the place to suggest to people its ok to shoot outside of the law.

The GL is clear,but if you shoot pigeons over cut crops where the farmer has already harvested,or when leaving or arriving to roost then you aren't really protecting crops,O.k you can argue that they are on their way to eat crops but they aren't actually damaging crops at that point and you can't ignore the fact that they might be feeding on natural food available.what if you shoot on a flight line where they fly over a field but don't land?

What if you are shooting pigeons in your back garden and the Police turn up,how would you stand if you said you were roost shooting,that you had been shooting in the farmers fields that day and had followed them home and they roost in your garden,Can someone explain the difference there?

The Police generally aren't interested in what you are shooting but would be more interested in where your airgun pellet was heading i would imagine.

Edited by retromlc

Exactly, that's why shooting pigeons in your garden 'just for fun' can't be justified by the GL. As I've said before It's got nothing to do with my own ideas on shooting its just the law and open forums aren't the place to suggest to people its ok to shoot outside of the law.

I'm not wasting my time with this anymore. This is just spouting off for the sake of it and you're missing the point.

I cant see the point of shooting pigeons in your garden because they Are eating bird food they are birds after all. Get some feeders that they can't get at,its different if you have a veg patch i suppose. As for them putting other birds off from nesting in the garden that's rubbish i have a meddler tree in my garden and for the last two years pigeons have nested in it along with goldfinch's about 3 to 4 foot away from the pigeons. I love pigeon shooting for the sport im protecting the crop whilst lm there but its for the sport, the more pigeons isee eating the crops the better. If i was really concerned about the crops i would not want to see any when i turned up to shoot. I bet the same goes for 95% of people on this forum.

Plant some carrot seeds at the bottom of the garden - job done. No need to get all uptight about it. However, I have my doubts about an air rifle for woodies. You are going to end up with the RSPCA on your doorstep and they will be on a mission.

Whats your doubts about an air rifle for wood pigeons?

are the birds in his garden not the same birds as the ones in the fields eating the farmers crops, it doesn't matter if they are, you legally have to comply with the GL dont matter where you shoot them just shoot them I'm afraid it does you legally have to comply with the GL

colin

Nope!

It is plain to see that some here simply don't understand or care about the terms of the GL.

I don't think anyone is trying to turn this thread into an International incident, but may I suggest everyone familiarises themselves with the GL terms before that start promoting the wholesale indiscriminate slaughter of Pigeons!

Have we concluded then its ok to shoot a pigeon in a farmers field as youve got the excuse of the crop but not at home as no excuse can be given and can be done by the rspb.

An air rifle can be used for pest control. Pigeon is classed as vermin. Your on your own land so whats correct in the laws eyes as we are seeing more than a little confliction here

It is also an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Forget about the target and remember the Law.....above

It is also an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Forget about the target and remember the Law.....above

Please, for the sake of the Lord Jesus, Allah, Ganesh and Rasha Shana.............dont open this can of worms again........please...........

When%20Children%20Pray%20to%20God.jpg

CAN WE JUST FINALISE THIS ONE LAST TIME!!! YOU CAN FIRE A GUN WITHIN 50 FEET OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY!!!!!

Good Lord! The lads on about shooting a few woodpigeons in his garden, not ruddy Swans you pedantic old beggars!

Theyre ******* in his garden causing a hazard to health, GL satisfied. As for the 50 feet from a highway law, you are allowed to do that so long as you dont cause alarm to members of the public.

As for the air rifle, get yourself an old Weirauch HW95 or 97 or similar, second hand in 22 and you'll be well away!

(EDIT): Willos, there is a major difference between game birds and wild birds. May I suggest doing some research?

Edited by SSS

I know a wild bird is not the same as a game bird. The whole reason for the thread was the original thread stated he wanted to shoot pigeons in his garden for fun. He got flamed for this . So i was merely throwing in the fact that its ok to kill them on a farm . In fact its ok to do a few hundred if you want, but not in you back yard as this is not the same circumstances.