What would u choose

henry90

Hell of a lot of maths n formulas to Get your electric papers!! Did 3 years at college! Plumbing on the job Is pretty good, not sure of what's involved in college though, and gas plumbers seem to charge what they want!! Me? I'll stick to tarmacing, pays good, work every hour of the day if you want to, and working in an 8 man gang it's always a good laugh!

black toppin in this weather is the perfect job stood down all week on full pay :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me your after short term gain/easy life with a fat wage packet....Only jobs that offer that tend to come with risk of serious violence/time inside as an occupational hazard. To become skilled in any trade takes time and dedication 3-5 years of college and experience. If you don't have English Maths Science GCSE at C grade or higher then i would suggest you go back to college and get them as not having these basic skills will seriously limit your progression or ability to qualify, You'll need to pass exams do calculations, fill out paperwork and take responsibility for your and others work. Often to the point of staking your liberty on it (do a dangerous job or BS the paperwork and you could be looking at Jail time......)

if i had my tme again to choose, it would not be plumbing / heating. too many regulation changes and expensive registrations.

Go with plastering, tiling ar carpet fitting, always plenty of work for the same money without the additional aggro

I agree to an extent but plasterers are knackerd before they're 50 and the same goes for carpet fitters and their knees.

I'd probably choose carpentry if I had my time again. :yes:

Seems to me your after short term gain/easy life with a fat wage packet....Only jobs that offer that tend to come with risk of serious violence/time inside as an occupational hazard. To become skilled in any trade takes time and dedication 3-5 years of college and experience. If you don't have English Maths Science GCSE at C grade or higher then i would suggest you go back to college and get them as not having these basic skills will seriously limit your progression or ability to qualify, You'll need to pass exams do calculations, fill out paperwork and take responsibility for your and others work. Often to the point of staking your liberty on it (do a dangerous job or BS the paperwork and you could be looking at Jail time......)

Utter rubbish about GCSE i couldnt be bothered at school, not because i was stupid but because i was more intrested in messing around and getting into trouble. Didnt get any grades. Went to work for a bricklayer (pip), went to collage learned my neatness and pride in work from pip.

Had a bust up with him one day left. Went on site.

Learned to lay very quickly.

3 bricklayers i rate

My old man. Very neat very quick. Fastest bricky i know.

Pip. Just as neat but slower.

A bloke i work with. Neat and fast, but dosent lay anymore.

Because of what i have learned from these 3 i can get a brickys job anywere.

Whatever you do, the biggest lesson i have ever learned is.

Take pride in your work.

I did a plumbers course when i left school...4 days on the job 1 day in collage, did it for 4 years got all my qualifications and left the day after and joind the marines...havent picked up a spanner since,

now i work in a office....sometimes i wish i would have kept on with the plumbing but im happy in a warm office and not on a cold site in winter..

HDAV offers some good advice (discounting the bank job). Get your GCSEs in English & Maths for a foundation to learn a trade. Then you'll find things a little easier.

ATB

I would love to do my gcse agen dus any one no how long it would take to do them is it a short or long coures

With all due respect cockercas, jobbing brickies don't have to do many calculations.

The OP said he fancied doing plumbing/gas or electrics. In those trades he will need to do calculations.

I agree with taking pride in your work though. A quality sadly lacking in some tradesmen. :yes:

Utter rubbish about GCSE i couldnt be bothered at school, not because i was stupid but because i was more intrested in messing around and getting into trouble. Didnt get any grades. Went to work for a bricklayer (pip), went to collage learned my neatness and pride in work from pip.

3 bricklayers i rate

Take pride in your work.

That was my problm at school more intrested in messing about bigest mistake of my life was very good at maths i got moved in to the top class but my friends wer all in the bottom so i worked my self untill they put me bk down i could kick my self now like but you learn by ya own mistakes

The big big hurdle to deal with first is find out about the courses and how you get on them. You may get a shock. Entry requirement on a lot of them is very tight and very competitive. Its because the Old tech colleges that used to do this sort of stuff became Universities and dropped all the trades courses because they thought they were too good for all that now.

There is a shortage of places on these courses and they can be choosy.The "kings" are electricians because their work is protected by law but you have a lot of maths to do. Chippies, brickies and plasterers are two a penny from Eastern Europe and they are good tradesmen but they are happy to work for peanuts

Edited by Vince Green

3 bricklayers i rate

Take pride in your work.

i left school no qualifcations ,i studied when i went to collage years later to become an electrician not saying its easy cause its NOT but i did it ,if you set ya mind you can do anything,the regs change all the time my personal feeling is one of the hardest trades if not the hardest , like above pride in ya work

Are plasterers still making good money? That is a skill you can only pick up with practice and a good teacher. Watched a lad do a really complicated attic room last year, the finish was like glass and he was really quick. I have tried skimming a few flat walls and made a right cockup of them - I am sure there is some sort of black magic involved.

A mate and me did a City and Guilds course over two years at local college.It has paid for itself many times over since,but I wouldn't want to do it for a living.

Just to add,it isn't necessary to polish the finish,and a painter wont thank you for it if you do.

Have a look locally for an adult learning centre prospectus.There are all sorts of courses available now.

hi stay away from joinery i think the trades finished in this country to many foreigners do this,most d.i.y.ers ,will have a go at joinery.

but they wont touch gas or electrics.if i had the choice again i would go for electrician.

alan

Edited by besty57

I would love to do my gcse agen dus any one no how long it would take to do them is it a short or long coures

Adult education centre is the place to start. Job centre will give you all the details, no idea how long it takes but you will need to commit to several months work minimum. I can't think of many courses you can do without the basics like maths and English even to be a chippy you to be able to do maths and calcs work out angles, loads etc can't think of a trade that doesn't need a decent amount of maths and without a good grasp of written English and writing you are going to really struggle.

Best of luck with it but stick with it and I am sure you will have a much better career with better prospects. You are never too old to learn a new a skill.

Edited by HDAV

All trades are pretty much the same pay wise if you're good at them. I'm a joiner and would honestly say stay away from it, the pay does not reflect the outlay on tools compared to other trades.Bricklaying is a skilled job that few that I've seen have mastered but the ones that have earn very good money with little outlay on tools. Plastering not that hard to learn and if you're not shy of hard work can earn some good money again with little outlay for tools. Now I'm getting to the so called elite trades (or what they like us to think), Plumbing relatively easy once you get the hang of it and you can charge silly money for jobs (non gas safe). Make yourself gas safe you can still charge silly money but from what I'm told it costs alot to be gas safe and you need to layout a fair bit on tools. Electrician nice clean work well paid for hardly any outlay on tools unless you work for yourself and buy testing equipment.

Me personally I'd go with bricklaying (although it's weather permitting) or plumbing.

All trades are pretty much the same pay wise if you're good at them. I'm a joiner and would honestly say stay away from it, the pay does not reflect the outlay on tools compared to other trades.Bricklaying is a skilled job that few that I've seen have mastered but the ones that have earn very good money with little outlay on tools. Plastering not that hard to learn and if you're not shy of hard work can earn some good money again with little outlay for tools. Now I'm getting to the so called elite trades (or what they like us to think), Plumbing relatively easy once you get the hang of it and you can charge silly money for jobs (non gas safe). Make yourself gas safe you can still charge silly money but from what I'm told it costs alot to be gas safe and you need to layout a fair bit on tools. Electrician nice clean work well paid for hardly any outlay on tools unless you work for yourself and buy testing equipment.

Me personally I'd go with bricklaying (although it's weather permitting) or plumbing.

Not much out lay on tools for a sparks ,I wish that was right, nice clean work you been in lofts and under floor boards

Edited by bullet1747