been invited to kelbrook

mikky

im new also just sent of for my sgc and i went up with a pw member BERETTAELL and its great you chose what stands you want to shoot from with lots of options for different birds take a look at there website i will deffo be there again its very friendly and a brew cabin to warm up in with tea and coffee biscuits ect.

john

been invited to shoot clays at kelbrook, i am new to clay shooting,is it a good ground and can you pick the stands you shoot from or is it a set route,the other lads are new to clays as well

mikky

yes its a great place to shoot good shot or not there is something for everyone

Decent ground with stands to suit everyone.

When you go, try and avoid shooting a stand with someone on the next stand. They are quite close together, in places, which resulted in others shooting our clays. We shot a lot of theirs and it got a bit silly.

Despite them owning a lot of acres, they have condensed the shoot into quite a compact area.

When you go, try and avoid shooting a stand with someone on the next stand. They are quite close together, in places, which resulted in others shooting our clays. We shot a lot of theirs and it got a bit silly.

Despite them owning a lot of acres, they have condensed the shoot into quite a compact area.

Totally agree,don`t know why they don`t use more of the land,it would be a much nicer ground to my mind.

if you shoot during the week the teas and coffee's are free of charge,at the weekend they charge,its very good as alot of the stands are secluded inbetween bushes, the staff and shooters are very freindly,you book in at the shop were you pick up a electronic counter which you put into the trap selector,dont forget to take it from trap to trap as its easy to forget it and you end up by keep going back,

what I also like is you unsleeve your gun in the car park and walk from stand to stand with your gun broken,

you will have a great time,enjoy.

Edited by williamr

no chance of hitting mine never mind anyone elses :lol:

mikky

cheers everyone :good:

mikky

Dont worry about using semi auto's at Kelbrook you are encouraged to try before you buy a gun from the shop,including semi auto's,theres no snob factor at Kelbrook, you could find a secluded stand out of the way and just enjoy yourself,just remember its a semi so gun safety and been seen to be compitent and safe is vital.

enjoy.

Met with Michael - the ground owner - today when I shot there, and there is a lot of scope for change here: as this particular conversation piece came up over coffee in the cafe; he told me that they actually have 60 stands and tens of acres available for shooting (game & clays). They used to have a far extended ground (reaching passed each of the lakes), but (would you believe it) people complained that they "had to walk too far between parts of the course"? I told him to ignore the whiners and expand it as far as he could, as that is a reason why shooters would be attracted to the shoot.

I raised the point about the first set of stands being too close together and being like a turkey-shoot, with there being confusion between whose clays was whose, and that's when he told me of their plans to change it. My advice was to ignore the previous whiners and expand it as far as made sense to provide range and variety - not that they don't have variety at the moment: today I shot every conceivable type of ESP clay, mixing high game-driven, to loopers, to all manner of crossers, batues, low+high going away, rabbits, teal, the works. Both of their Compak stands are particularly testing.

You'll be glad to know, too, that they've had the entire road up to the shoot gritted, so you don't need a 4x4 to get there and the roads are now snow-free. I was in my wife's car, a VW Golf, and I managed to get right up to the Lodge and car park no problems.

Only my second time there today, and yet I shot some stands which were not open the last time I was there, and they'd changed all the traps so I had no idea where the birds were coming from, so variety is something they do well. You can't complain that "they never change the stands". The owners are shooters too - so I suspect that they're sensitive to other shooters' comments (as with some other grounds) that they never change the stands/clays.

Blog piece on today's shoot coming shortly on our forum.

If a semi auto suits you, that is all that matters. I have seen semi autos being used in just about every ground I have ever been to - which is a heck of a lot.

Agreed - you'll have nay problem with a semi-auto at Kelbrook. Just remember, as good shooting etiquette, to pick up your spent shells after you've ejected them ;)

I've yet to shoot a ground where they frown on or ban semi's.

Mikky mate, you will not regret a visit to Kelbrook. It is a great shooting ground with a good variation of birds to suit all levels of shooters. If you do decide to pay Kelbrook a visit please let me know and I would be happy to accompany you (as long as I am not booked for anything else).

At least with me and the way I shoot clays I am not liable to show anyone up! :lol:

This ground was one of my favorite haunts 20 years ago. They had regular 100 bird sporting shoots on and 100 FITASC shoots. The Saturday shoots were brilliant with 100 super sporting shot over 4 different compact layouts. They also used to do all these except the super sporting as Registered shoots. I wish they still did them as it's just a practice ground now with some exceptional targets available... from Auntie.

Mikky mate, you will not regret a visit to Kelbrook. It is a great shooting ground with a good variation of birds to suit all levels of shooters. If you do decide to pay Kelbrook a visit please let me know and I would be happy to accompany you (as long as I am not booked for anything else).

At least with me and the way I shoot clays I am not liable to show anyone up! :lol:

no problems ..will give you a shout when i go

mikky

Bren - Mike Meggison is probably right about the moaners. They had a Grouse Butt stand at the far side of the lake. An excellent stand, but I remember shooters moaning about the walk. Another at the far end of the lake as well.

Aye, they're the ones. Hope he re-opens them and gets full use of the 60 stands he has. More the merrier, if a PITA to fill the traps ;)