Beretta World Sporting - Fibre Wad Only

oldwoman

Beretta World Sporting – Fibre Wad Only.

Although I have been shooting for about twenty years I have never entered a ‘Major’ Competition where Fibre Wad shells are stipulated and have only used borrowed shells (my Hubby) once or twice where there was no other option e.g. the odd time I have been to a Game Fair; therefore I would say that my experience with this type of shell has been very limited. I use Express cartridges and would prefer to stick to what I know I like and purchase some Express Fibre Wad for this event, but it appears there are several different types to choose from, can anyone recommend any they may have used and also rate them on recoil etc. I’d be grateful for any advice as I only need to purchase a few, I don’t think price will be an issue.

Many thanks

Oldwoman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't shoot many fibres but tend to buy Gamebore Blue Diamonds, if I can't get them then Eley firsts.

No particular reason why I buy the Blue Diamomds apart from I always have done when using fibres! (rare) so I tend stick with what I know.

If your happy with the Express then confidence is the key, id stick with them. One less thing to think about!

I'm surprised it's being run as a Registered Comp, on a virgin ground, all very odd, as CPSA rules state that no wad restrictions shall apply to Registered events.

I've been to a few of these "fibre wad only" events in the past, only to marvel at the amount of fresh plaswads laying around the place, it's difficult for scorers to enforce these rules, virtually impossible.

Cat.

Why impossible? Just look in the shooters bag/pocket, any plaswads found, then disqualify them.

If only it was that easy, can you imagine the scorers having to check every cartridge being used, my shooting vest has 4 different pockets, each capable of holding different shells.

It would take all day for a squad to shoot round, also an unnecessary burden on the scorers.

Cat.

Have to agree with Cat, been to a few myself and you do start to see plastic wads appear.

Also knowing some of the shooters even though they are actually abiding by the rules the thought of a ref frisking them or rummaging through their bag every stand will tip them over the edge and a few confrontations will happen.

If I have to shoot a fibre only shoot I tend to go for Hull Pro Fibre or if I am feeling flush Sovereign Fibre (bigger brass so they must improve my score :ermm:<_< ). If I am shooting it this year I will hunt down some Sovereign Fibre as I have had some good scores with them so the confidence in them is there for me.

So cheating is still rife then in competition, says a lot about the participents though. When are the CPSA going to do something about it?

The ideal way would to have a scorer and a referee on each stand, the ref could just watch what cartridges are loaded into the gun or check what are binned. I'm sure that if a dozen or so cheats could be found then ban them for life so that they cannot shoot comps. Maybe more than a dozen, it would stop the rest even thinking about it.

Honestly Sporting shooting is just an absolute farce in the UK. when rules are broken so blatently.

There is a small shoot near Skipton held every year, that's fibre wad only, the organiser just wanders up and down the layout asking to look at what type of cartridges are used, I saw him tell a group of four who were shooting plaswads to leave, no refunds either, that's what should happen at any shoot where cheats abound.

If CPSA rules state no wad restrictions at a Registered event, then this should not be Registered.

I agree with BlaserF3 - it isn't rocket science to check. Either you can use plastic or you can't. They should do random checks - anyone using plastic - straight out - no appeal. No point in having a rule which some openly flout.

The event is described as "World", yet some shooters, aspiring to be at the very top can't stop cheating.

Is it such a big deal for them to shoot fibre, just for once. Apparently, for some, it is.

The cost implication of having a ref and a scorer on each stand would be very high so is never going to happen.

I have no doubt that random checks would work, but that would still not deter some. Also you would have to ban all plastic wads from being at the ground or they are just going to argue they are just left over from a previous shoot as they don’t shoot fibre normally and have no intention of shooting them. You can rest assured they will have fibre in the bag and pocket as well.

Also some are very litigious with deep pockets so accusing them of cheating is a very risky business unless you happen to be a top flight barrister who owns a shooting ground or loaded and like a legal fight. Shooters have been caught cheating only for the ground or CPSA to back down once the solicitors letters start flying about.

The event is listed as :

“This event is a special CPSA registered event” so I guess the word “special” gives them the right to do what they want because you are only allowed to shoot a Beretta as well, I have never understood why it has to be registered, just run it like the Benelli or Essex masters.

I have never had a problem with fibre apart from the higher cost hence why I use plastic, but some think they are the spawn of the devil that will not hit a clay and will go to extraordinary lengths to shoot plastic.

You can rest assured they will have fibre in the bag and pocket as well.

Also some are very litigious with deep pockets so accusing them of cheating is a very risky business unless you happen to be a top flight barrister who owns a shooting ground or loaded and like a legal fight. Shooters have been caught cheating only for the ground or CPSA to back down once the solicitors letters start flying about.

Hope you don't mind me editing your post but I find the part I left quite sickening to read, win at any cost, whatever next.

Mike - again, I am compelled to agree. It's a sad state of affairs.

I still think that there should be random checking. Make it a condition of entry that any shooter cannot carry plastic wadded shells - left over from their last shoot, bequeathed to them by their late aunt and have sentimental value - whatever.

If the shoot make the rules and don't police them, they aren't fit to run the event.

Hull pro fibre, for all the normal stuff, anything extreem go for the Ely VIP fibre. Also choke 1 size tighter as the pattern opens marginally earlier. They are both slightly more punchy. This is from my experiance due to flinching more when using fibres. from Auntie.

Interesting points and nice to hear from a fellow lady shooter with regard to Fibre wad shells, I will take note about using more choke when using them. BlaserF3 has recommended an Express shell with low recoil, which I think I will try out sometime before the event.

It's great to hear all the views from other shooter's.

Good shooting in 2013

Thanks

Old Woman

Beretta World Sporting – Fibre Wad Only.

Although I have been shooting for about twenty years I have never entered a ‘Major’ Competition where Fibre Wad shells are stipulated and have only used borrowed shells (my Hubby) once or twice where there was no other option e.g. the odd time I have been to a Game Fair; therefore I would say that my experience with this type of shell has been very limited. I use Express cartridges and would prefer to stick to what I know I like and purchase some Express Fibre Wad for this event, but it appears there are several different types to choose from, can anyone recommend any they may have used and also rate them on recoil etc. I’d be grateful for any advice as I only need to purchase a few, I don’t think price will be an issue.

Many thanks

Oldwoman

Dont go sneaking any plastics in sue! i will be checking your bag!

bornfree

Simple answer-ban plaswads for all competitions.

Problem would disappear overnight.

This would create a level playing field for everyone/everywhere!

Don`t know why anyone uses them anyway,unsightly things littering the countryside,just like

McDonalds cartons!

Always use 24g fibre myself for clays,have not found what they wont break yet .

Edited by matone

I run a shooting ground which is strictly fibre only and the majority of guns that come to use it stick to fibre wads but after each shoot when i'm tidying up I keep finding plastic wads not alot but a few especially on the rabbit layout and others lying around on various stands. I try to keep an eye out on the days when the shoot is on but its near impossible to do but one day I will find the culprits and ban them, because if it carries on we could end up losing the ground as its set on a beautiful part of an estate and they are horrible to see lying around the place, there are signs out stating fibre only and all advertisements are clearly shown as fibre, its the same old saying that a very small minority could end up ruining a shoot which there is not enough of in the first place. Personally I don't see what the fuss is nowadays apart from cheaper to buy as I shoot fibre all the time on clays and game and never have any problems with them.