full choke and open choke

buggs

Yesterday I was shooting with the above and found 90% (not the exact math but good enough for purpose) of my kills I got with the full , I was using elegy high flyers 30g 6's a long favourite of mine but they seem to work so much better on full does anyone know why this would be or worth getting another full choke lol when I use them through my rizzini performance seemed the same that's really why I'm asking, any ideas would be great thanks

I've got half in my auto, it stays in whether i'm down the marsh, shooting pigeons or after rabbits!

If what you are using is working, just stick with it. Why mess about with a working set up?

That's the problem it isn't working, I'll try a tighter choke on top barrel and see how it goes, thanks for your input everyone :-)

Half does the job for all my shooting

Decoying, flighting, bolting rabbits, fowling, rough, driven....

But quarter, full and extra full also do the job

Only problem is I can't seem to point the gun in the right place 70% of the time

Edited by TJ91

At all ranges out to 30 meters (32.8 yards) we are greatly handicapping ourselves with a tightly choked bore versus a more open choked bore. With an open choke your will kill more than you will miss. Old English game guns were always open choked.

Check out the data: http://www.chuckhawk...ttern_today.htm

I would have thought, on pigeons for instance, you would HIT more than you would miss but not kill? Surely more lead in the centre of bird would result in more kills? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree completely with you, but every bird was stone dead I was hitting with full, it seemed strange to me too hense why I asked for input, my rizzini is fixed at choke and the open is more effective, iv put a 3\4 in the top now and its worked for me, maybe the cartridges perform better this way or maybe........its all in my head

I would have thought, on pigeons for instance, you would HIT more than you would miss but not kill? Surely more lead in the centre of bird would result in more kills? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it was in Sporting Gun some time back that it was said you have a better chance at a clean kill with a more open choke at decoying ranges (I think they were refering to 1/4 or 1/2 choke). The reasoning behind it was that with a tight choke there is more chance of you hitting the bird with the edge of the pattern. I certainly found this with 32g of Eley Grand Prix no.6 through full choke on pigeons. At 30 yds I was getting either runners or very dead (too many holes in it for eating) birds. With a bit less choke there is a larger sweet spot in the pattern and generally a slightly more even spread across it.

As already said above have a play on clays with different chokes and shells. Each gun will have a favourite shell/ choke combination and it's an excellent excuse to go and do some more shooting.

I've said this before. Forget the chokes.

Dave686 has said it right.

I use a quarter and a half. Never change it.

I was roost shooting yesterday, and there wasn't one bird inside 35 yards, due to the tree height.

Several stone dead in the air beyond that range, and I always fire the quarter choke first.

Just to confirm, so that you don't think I'm full of bull. I was out with PW member , limestone cowboy. He can verify it.

I've also had yickdaz shooting with me recently in the same wood, also hitting really high birds without tight chokes.

So don't get all caught up in the choke debate.

each to there own but i have never felt the need to shoot with full choke at any quarry, 1/4 and 1/2 will do the job out to 50 yards no problem, mine is fixed 1/4 and 3/4. the auto has 1/2 choke in it and it stays in and glad of it so i don,t get bogged down changing chokes all the time, especially at clays i like to just get on the stand and call pull knowing that what i have will do the job and its the same in a pigeon hide, flight pond, rough shooting, driven etc etc

if im shooting crows, squirrels and foxes i like full choke in, i want them dead. If its game/pigeons il shoot with no more than half choke. Horses for courses i suppose, as long as you put the lead in the right spot it doesnt matter about chokes too much. Patterning your gun is more important in my opinion.