thepasty

Pump Club

20 hours ago, Konor said:

Hi Impala,

The gun does balance very well and the smoothness of the pump encourages you to pump as you are shooting,I think they call that knowing how to run a pump in American speak. Best of luck in your quest

I think that Winchester, particularly, are and have been, very adept at converting the slide linear motion to rotary via their cam, ramp, lever and pivot designs. It is always a target of mine to make my pumps as slick as possible. I really enjoy the mechanical nature of a pump gun and restoring these old 'clunkers' is as much my hobby as is my shooting

Edited by impala59

I imagine restoring old pump guns must give you a great deal of satisfaction Impala.I am restricted to buying reasonable priced guns but it cheers me to improve them where I can mostly oiling the stocks and having dents raised ,trigger pulls adjusted etc . I like owning a gun with a bit of character with a link to the past that hasn’t cost a months wages but has an appeal through shared experience linking previous owners with myself ,if that makes sense

Edited by Konor
    Word change

New Acquisition! A Turkish Hug San Huglu TS 870

I bought this more out of curiosity than anything else, as looking at it, it appears to be a straight knock-off of an Ithaca 37. Indeed. on taking it down and as the pictures show, it is in fact, virtually a 37 clone. Now its not all bad though, the mechanism works fine, it shoots great and it is a 26" barrel, 76mm(3") magnum, steel proof, screw in choke (Mobile I'm guessing, perhaps someone can positively identify as no markings on it). These are things that you won't find in many 37's over here. The internal machining is a little rough, but nowhere that affects the action. The Lifter/Ejector fingers are made of a springier steel than a 37 and close together more when ejecting. The wood appears to be Turkish Walnut and may improve with a little TLC, there seems to be some figuring that may 'pop' with an oil finish. The metal finish is matt, not quite parkerised! It comes to the shoulder well and has a nice rib which seems to suit me. LOP is 13.5" and would probably benefit from a 1/4" spacer (for me that is) The designation 'TS 870' (a bit unfortunate in the pump world!) is somewhat misleading as Huglu seem to use it for side by sides, over/unders et al. I wonder if this gun was maybe subject to some design or patent infringements as the current Huglu range of pumps are side eject normal Turkish fayre. It is also possible that this was made for Huglu by Norinco in China (their YL12 was another M37 clone) but I have seen one of those and this seems superior in all areas of appearance and finish.

Still an interesting addition to my collection and one that will definitely get some use. Currently choked at full, I shall try and locate maybe a Cyl or Imp Cyl. If anyone does have any information on this gun I would be most grateful, the internet is bereft of anything.

2325132_huglu(8).JPG.9f1ed9d09a1b92e94c6e0e6aa6097b29.JPG546376277_huglu(2).JPG.0a023b456f55108146d5ca5f9ea43e3d.JPG200690425_huglu(6).JPG.f3f6aad59c1b5082fa859ae4aac597c5.JPG1362881904_huglu(10).JPG.309eeb8fc2b5a2a524d351e1926efc7e.JPG

Edited by impala59

16 hours ago, Opossum said:

That's crazy cool! I wonder if it's an easier source of a corncob forend!

Macon  gunstocks will do a corncob and they ship to the UK

1 hour ago, Opossum said:

They don’t do the hardware, sadly. It’s different to the type I have

That’s a shame. I wonder how hard it would be to turn one on my wood lathe? May have a go when I get a little time

If you can make one that fits the "other" forend tube+nut style that'd be interesting. I modified a plastic 870 forend but it's not quite there. Binds up a little sometimes

7 hours ago, Opossum said:

If you can make one that fits the "other" forend tube+nut style that'd be interesting. I modified a plastic 870 forend but it's not quite there. Binds up a little sometimes

As I understand it, there are about five different forends. If you could photograph your original wood and give some dimensions, I will probably have one the same that I can match so as to check fit etc . I’m guessing that your forend metal tube is longer than the short corncob one so anything made would have to be proportionally extended so as to look ‘right’

I’ll have a think about it, it would be an interesting project, somewhat in line with one I am working on now

Edited by impala59

Sorry for changing the subject, I have recently acquired a Mossberg maverick a brilliant gun but it has a slug barrel with no choke , I would like an option with chokes is there a way forward without braking the bank