thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening

I would also like to tender my application to join the club. It is a Hatsan (awaits incoming) Field Hunter, 24". I bought it to try out practical shotgun and have only put about 60 cartridges through it so far. Hoping to go for my first round of clays with it on Friday.

y{></script> WP_20160221_002%202_zpsphivhmx5.jpg&&0

I actually think that's not a bad looking gun, I have the autoloader and it does what it says on the tin so to speak. Having said that, I would swap it for a pump in a heartbeat! pumpaholic ;)

Edited by impala59

I actually think that's not a bad looking gun, I have the autoloader and it does what it says on the tin so to speak. Having said that, I would swap it for a pump in a heartbeat! pumpaholic ;)

The original plan was to get a Winchester SXP but the stock is quite short and it was slightly more expensive. The marine version of the FH looks a lot better to me, but it is much more expensive and straying close to Benelli M2 territory. I've put 21 gram CompX, 27 gram Hull superfast and 28,32,36 gram buckshot through it. I had one failure to extract but not sure why, probably me. I tried the 28" but seemed a bit unwieldy. I can even manage to load 2 at a time with it, so does everything I want at the moment.

Edited by arm3000gt

Hi there, just joined PW and as I'm fresh to this new fangled forum lark, please excuse any mistakes. I have a Mossberg 500 pump, 20 gauge, moderated Hushpower. I have after many years of nowhere to shoot, acquired 2 areas, one being very close to a farmhouse that is also a B&B and tea rooms, plus horses and cattle. So the moderated is perfect and yes it is quiet and the 20 gauge helps my poor old shoulders. Problem is I struggling to hit a god damn thing, 1 out of 3 on a good day. Anyone out there got any tips?

Hi there, just joined PW and as I'm fresh to this new fangled forum lark, please excuse any mistakes. I have a Mossberg 500 pump, 20 gauge, moderated Hushpower. I have after many years of nowhere to shoot, acquired 2 areas, one being very close to a farmhouse that is also a B&B and tea rooms, plus horses and cattle. So the moderated is perfect and yes it is quiet and the 20 gauge helps my poor old shoulders. Problem is I struggling to hit a god damn thing, 1 out of 3 on a good day. Anyone out there got any tips?

Do you know why you are missing? I have a long term problem of right-handed, left eye dominant, a recent thread on the clay pigeon section gave me loads of ideas and I'm improving dramatically. you could also experiment with low cost optics clamped on the barrel (from amazon, ebay etc) or fibre optic sight modifications. I guess that the moderator may also impede sighting. Does your gun fit you? So many variables, but its usually the nut on the butt :)

OK, so my excuses are: I ware glasses now and am finding it slightly difficult to know whether to wear them or not. I'm not sure if I'm trying to shoot birds too close and the pattern is too tight or too far away and the cartridges are not hitting hard enough. I have 28g 5 shot subs, but just got some 30g 6s (non subs) The moderator is a bit off putting and as I've heard a lot about these guns shooting low and would prefer to see my target rather than obscure it, I've fitted a makeshift rib at the back to try and lift the aim point. The butt was a little short so have fitted an extra pad. I like the gun, the look and the way the action works though of course it is nose heavy. It is quiet and one time I was inside a steel corn silo, shooting out through the door (it was chucking it down with rain and blowing a hooley) but the crows kept coming.

​I guess that a patterning session would help, some cheap, wide wallpaper and a simple frame. Mark a decent size circle (30" would be my ideal) with a centre spot to aim at and try at a few different distances. Count the shot, there is a useful chart on the cartridges thread, and see how your shot spreads look. I am sure it will come together. As I seem to recall from a previous post, the Hushpowers are full choke, patterning will prove once and for all

Evening.

Has anyone had issues with a Hatsan Field Hunter not extracting Hull Super fast cartridges? I took it out with the wife on Friday and we had a few failure to extract. Worse when my wife was using it. If I pump it again it extracts but not the first time. Obviously this can't be done if it happens on the first shot. It seems to be if I wait a second or so after firing then it won't extract. If I fire then pump straight away extracts ok. This makes me think that the cartridge is expanding and slightly gripping the chamber. A few people seem to have the same issue with Ithaca shotguns and low 'brass'.Hull super fasts are 8mm. Hull CompX 21g seem to cycle fine though.

Evening.

Has anyone had issues with a Hatsan Field Hunter not extracting Hull Super fast cartridges? I took it out with the wife on Friday and we had a few failure to extract. Worse when my wife was using it. If I pump it again it extracts but not the first time. Obviously this can't be done if it happens on the first shot. It seems to be if I wait a second or so after firing then it won't extract. If I fire then pump straight away extracts ok. This makes me think that the cartridge is expanding and slightly gripping the chamber. A few people seem to have the same issue with Ithaca shotguns and low 'brass'.Hull super fasts are 8mm. Hull CompX 21g seem to cycle fine though.

This issue seems to be spreading, my friends Rem 870 has the same problem, and another has similar problems with his Winchester 1200. I won't buy 8mm brass cartridges anymore, I believe that low quality and cheapness has compromised the integrity of the hull/head, and, allows the hot, thin metal, upon firing, to deform and run into the extractor cut out. I'm using up my old stuff in my SxS non-ejector where there is no issue, due, IMHO to the fact there is no cut-out in the chamber for the extractor. Having said that, my BPS behaves flawlessly with all cartridges (it only has one extractor at the bottom of the bolt, which is quite wide compared to other extractors) Maybe the Japanese, (Miroku) who build the BPS for Browning identified the problem and fixed it? I'll be sticking with 12mm+ head and hopefully no more problems

This issue seems to be spreading, my friends Rem 870 has the same problem, and another has similar problems with his Winchester 1200. I won't buy 8mm brass cartridges anymore, I believe that low quality and cheapness has compromised the integrity of the hull/head, and, allows the hot, thin metal, upon firing, to deform and run into the extractor cut out. I'm using up my old stuff in my SxS non-ejector where there is no issue, due, IMHO to the fact there is no cut-out in the chamber for the extractor. Having said that, my BPS behaves flawlessly with all cartridges (it only has one extractor at the bottom of the bolt, which is quite wide compared to other extractors) Maybe the Japanese, (Miroku) who build the BPS for Browning identified the problem and fixed it? I'll be sticking with 12mm+ head and hopefully no more problems

Hmmm interesting. I will try and pick up some Eley 1st Select next week as they have 12mm and give them a go. The superfast cartridges eject no problem in my 525 so they will get used, good job I only bought 500.

Edited by arm3000gt