A second gun

Pedro

There's various similair topics to this on the forum, but none answer my question.

Would a .410 be any good for pigeon shooting?

Mrs P. has given me permission, :/ , to get another gun - on the proviso that it's one she can use as well :good:

I was thinking of a .410 because there's less recoil and it would be a bit more manageable for her and hopefully the kids, and would be a good way of getting them all into shooting.

She's a similair height to me, so the size aspect isn't a problem.

I'm after a second gun to use in the field, basically to stop me scratching the 686 again :/ , whilst climbing through hedges etc.

Your thoughts would be appreciated :P

P.

As daft as it sounds initially, a 20b shooting a 1oz load will kick harder than a 12b shooting the same load. Because the heavier 12b will soak up the recoil better but without being overly heavy.

As for using a .410 for pigeons………..well, unless you are a brilliant shot and can get them within 20yds it would be a waste of time and money. (bloody expensive cartridges for a .410). :/

If you really want a 20b then you will only benefit if you are using a 24grm cartridge, which will again put you at a disadvantage because of the lower amount of shot .

Buy a nice 12b and shoot 1oz loads. :/

G.M.

I've seen plenty of women using 12 bores, without any problems. If I was in your situation, I'd take her out shooting and get her using your 686 with some 24g loads. If she can manage it, then stick with that sort of thing. If not, get a 20 bore instead. A fairly light 12 bore firing small loads would be my choice. Looking through the Beretta catalogue, they make a 12 bore O/U called an Ultralight. It weighs 6lbs. That's lighter than a Silver Pigeon in 20 bore! As the others say though, a light gun will recoil harder if using the same loads :/

Pedro,

If you do decide to go for a 20 bore don't get too light a one, try to get as heavy a gun as she can handle comfortably, that way recoil won't be such a factor.

I wouldn't really go for a too lightweight 12 as you will have the same recoil problems due to the gun not absorbing it. Also some of the lightweight's actions aren't as durable due to the materials used to save weight.

Bloody hell, loads of advice. :good:

I think I'll take her down to the clay club and let her have a go with with the instructor :good: and see what he advises.

I'm leaning towards a light 12g with a smaller load. That way I get the best of both worlds :lol:

Thanks again ;)

P.

I wouldn't even consider a lightweight 12-bore - there's just no point, and your choice will be quite limited. Get a 20-bore. It will be much more comfortable for your other half to use, rather than a bulky 'lightweight' 12-bore.

20-bores are the mutt's nuts for clays, walked-up and driven shooting. They are easier to carry over the course of a long day, you can pack more ammunition into the same cartridge bag, and above all the handling on a 20 is superb. I can't see a single disadvantage to a 20. The only reason that I own 12s as well is to use those heavier loads for fox/geese/high pheasants that would be unsuitable in a 6lb 20-bore..

Thousands of 20-bore users can't be wrong! Honestly, lean towards an O/U 20 - it's an ideal solution instead of a bad compromise. They are a delight to use.

I wouldn't even consider a lightweight 12-bore - there's just no point, and your choice will be quite limited. Get a 20-bore. It will be much more comfortable for your other half to use, rather than a bulky 'lightweight' 12-bore.

20-bores are the mutt's nuts for clays, walked-up and driven shooting. They are easier to carry over the course of a long day, you can pack more ammunition into the same cartridge bag, and above all the handling on a 20 is superb. I can't see a single disadvantage to a 20. The only reason that I own 12s as well is to use those heavier loads for fox/geese/high pheasants that would be unsuitable in a 6lb 20-bore..

Thousands of 20-bore users can't be wrong! Honestly, lean towards an O/U 20 - it's an ideal solution instead of a bad compromise. They are a delight to use.

Buy both, that way she can choose the one that suits her and then you get another gun as well :lol::good:

I think I'll take her down to the clay club and let her have a go with with the instructor :good: P.

Bet that'll please the instructor :lol: what's she want a gun for anyway...to point at you??? Think about it ;)

On a serious note a .410 is a bit light for pigeon shooting and come to that most clay shooting. If you really have to sacrifice a 12 go for a 20 OR get her to wear some old 1980's (was it?) Joan Collins style shoulder pads :good:

You seem to be getting a lot of advice fairly evenly split betwwen 12 & 20. The answer, which everyone seems to be missing, is therefore obvious - get a 16.

Actually, depending on what shooting she will be doing that might be a serious option. Otherwise I'd say go for the 12; try to get one not too light but well balanced and use 1oz loads. Do make sure it fits her reasonably well, especially as regards l.o.p. One benefit - assuming you have a 12 yourself, you'll never have to be worried about mixing up her cartidges with yours by mistake.

Sandy.

A 16-bore would be a great solution, bar two problems: 1) Unless you want a side-by-side, the choice of O/Us is very limited. 2) there are very, very few 16-bore cartridges loaded for clays, as it is primarily a game gun calibre. At my local clay club I had to ask for special dispensation to use a 16, as the Club demands that you use size 7.5 shot or smaller. And I cannot find a 16b round loaded in shot smaller than a #7.

Got to agree Baldrick,

Due to the hassle of getting suitable ammo and finding a suitable gun, I'd go for the 12b, well sorted semi auto and light loads route. The 16 is a lovely cartridge but it's not the most common thing to find in a gunshop.

That said, anyone want to sell a nitro proofed hammer 16? :)

Ian

My twopenneth,you want a second gun for pigeon and rough shooting and for your OH to use on clays etc.

I would say a 20 bore semi auto,because it is a single sight plane like your o/u,you have a 3rd cartridge for when the pigeons are coming in fast/numbers.It will handle a 36gm cartridge(if a 3" chamber)for the occaisional wildfowl or fox shot.It will absorb recoil and will point swing and shoot like a 12 bore o/u.

Good luck with the choice and get a lot of guns tried first :rolleyes: