what cartridge for rabbit shooting

Basically you'll be alright with either pal.

How are you shooting them? Off the back of a truck? Range? Stalking? Bolting them with ferrets? Are you planning to eat them or dispose of them to people that do?

Personally an ounce of No 5 would be my preferred load for general shot gun bunny shooting. In some situations it's too much and others not enough. A lot depends on how you are going about the job.

Edited by Whitebridges

If you are going to eat them, don't you end up with a mouth full of shot? I would have thought the larger the pellet, the better. Less shot to get rid of.

I've never had a problem with them being full of shot, and i've eaten quite alot of rabbits shot with shotguns. Using everything from 7s to 4s.

I'd just swap to the air rifle if there was too much shot in the meat

Guest cookoff013

i`ve used anything from 32g #6 to 36g#4 or 36g#2.

36#4s are my prefered cartridge, although, economy wise a 32g#5 is a good compromise.

the 2s were brilliant on extended shots, all through full or 3/4 choke at the time, i had a beretta.

Been asked if i fancy a days rabbit shooting, its yrs since i shot rabbits with a 12 bore

Plenty of airgun kills.

Do i need a size 5 shot or will 6 do

Thanks in advance

depends on range, choke and gun but I often use 7 1/2 through very open chokes and it kills totally fine if you respect the limitations