Very still - but very good.

JDog

I arranged for Rotten Fish 4 from PW to come out with me today. He also came last week when we had 2" of snow, fog and sleet so I thought that I owed him a better day.

It was foggy but thankfully only in the valley bottoms and as we were to shoot on the top of the hill we were above the mist. It was though very still. This manifested itself in pigeons flying very high indeed between resting woods and feeding fields and for the first hour or so I never saw a bird less than 50m high. None came to the decoys.

Rotten Fish 4 was about half a mile from me at the end of a belt in which birds sit to digest and by which they flight to feed. I left it to his field craft to choose the correct position which I believe he did. I heard shots regularly but not frequently for the time we had out shooting and when we packed up he had a very decent bag of 36 pigeons and one crow.

My position was not easy as the majority of birds slipped by me on either side and as I have stated none came to the decoys for an hour or so and I had to take my chances of some of the high birds to begin making a bag. For the last two hours of my shooting birds did decoy fairly well and I ended up with 52 pigeons picked.

Our total was 88 which I believe would have been increased if there had been a decent wind.

(If someone could turn the picture of Rotten Fish 4 round I would be very grateful).

DSC04341.jpg

DSC04344.jpg

Edited by JDog