another go on the maize

matty*

yesterday sore me head out on the maize again with around five places to look but with no wind in the morning i didn't no what to expect.

after a while driving around i had choose my place.

the other cover crops around were showing pigeons but not as much as my chosen spot so i decided to flag one spot off and rope banger the others to hopefully keep them moving.

the spot i had chosen has a flight line right threw it and has had a flight line there for years.

every year this time of year the pigeons always seem to take up this flight line witch has produced some good sport over the years.

by the time i had set up it was around 10.00.

i used a simple horse shoe pattern with a whirly one side and a turbo flapper the other.

from the off there was pigeons about every were, but they would not decoy,they circled around and set there wings but would not come in, so i started the list of things it could be in my mind.

can they see me?

have the got anoth room to get in?

is the whirly or flapper spooking them?

i had shot a few nice flighting pigeons and fort to my self ill have somthing to eat and drink and then see what's happening.

i had picked up a few more frew the morning then at 1.00 it was like someone turned a tap on and they decoyed perfectly.

i missed a few and shot some nice doubles. at one point if i dear say it if i had a semi auto i may of got the triple, well would of had the chance anyway.

i used my 20gauage i used this for everything now seem to get on well with it.

anyway i fired 123 shots for 89 pigeons :good: . 88 in photo found another on way to pick up the jimny.

all in all a good day but if they would have decoyed from the start i dear say you could of had the chance to double maybe triple the bag.

gonna have another look next week to see if there still about.

thanks for reading.

matty

post-56324-0-25626300-1363943592_thumb.jpg

post-56324-0-12582500-1363943604_thumb.jpg

Good effort. You seem to have been the only person in the entire country who has shot a decent bag rcently.

I have found in the past that it is difficult to decoy birds onto maize stubble when the decoys are actually placed in the stubble. Why this is I do not know.

What did you end up changing Matty to get them in?

The only thing i changed mate was put more birds out on the deck one side of the pattern, but as mentioned in an early post they may have just started to decoy for there second feed.