Shooting in the snow

gazbev

Just thought id ask what peoples thoughts were on shooting in the snow, quite a bit of snow here in the Midlands and now its stopped ive noticed quite a bit flying around, I have got to go out kids are driving me nuts so I have a few ideas just wondered which one you thought might be more productive,

I thought I might try and clear a little snow from the rape, chuck some decoys out stick myself in a hedge or

Stand in a wood with a crow caller or

I have noticed a mass of ivy the pigeons drop on when times are hard and a bough of a tree has fallen down with ivy on it so I thought Id chuck some decoys around that (never done this).

As I said Im going out and I know I could go to the pub instead.Cheers

Well the forecast for tomorrow in Cambridge i better so I will be out at 8am to set-up and see how we get on. Can not get out much earlier to catch the first feed so I was thinking 9am at the field - set-up a load of flags to scare them off the areas I can not reach and then sit and wait......

Anyone else out in the Cambridge area?

I had a go on rape in the snow today, I think with more guns to cover other fields could have been a good bag. As it was I just pushed them off my field on to another. Seemed to decoy better when it was snowing hard, guess they wanted to get down and eat before it was covered over. As for lamping in the snow its not too bad unless its actually snowing, then the lamp just lights up a million snowflakes and you can't see 10 yards!

Well had a reasonable day only shot 2 but I did take a novice with me, after I set up the deeks it was snowing and they brought some in, I missed 4, 2 of whichwere easy shots and I should have go themt, I let my pal have a bash at a few but no good then it went quiet for about 20 minutes so II let a shot up and things moved a bit, there was someone shooting not far from me who was keeping them up too then they just moved on and nothing.

We decided to have a walk around to warm up so we stood on the edge of the wood looking up, I let a shot up and had a good 10 minutes of shooting, most were very high but managed to bag a couple that saw me as they came over the trees and put the brakes on to turn away

Ivy leaves were everywhere the pigeons had stripped them.

Absolutely shocking pigeon to cartridge ratio but knackered walking over ploughed fields in the wind and snow and thoroughly enjoyed it

Got the gunslip on the radiator drying, had a shower ,got a pint of hobgoblin, my tea is read,y barrels have been sprayed and I will clean them later before retiring to TV and more beer.

Edited by gazbev

I went out today , they wouldnt come into decoy but got myself into a small wood where I had seen a few hundred pigeons hanging about managed to bag 5 of them and a crow then it went dead ,

Got myself under a flight line in the afternoon and bagged another 3 woodies, total for my afternoon in the snow was 8 woodies an 1crow for 14 shells all In all I'm very pleased with myself and the farmer thinks I'm a hero for sticking it out in the blizzards all day ,

Cheers

The novice isn't a youngster and has his own gun but hasn't shot for over 20 years and only ever shot clays so we onlyhad to set a few hide rules out , what got him started was eating a few pigeon breasts I gave him he's mad keen now wants to know when we are going next.

I never seem to have luck with flight lines over my permissions and I check them morning noon and night, just have to try and pick the day with weather and try nd pull them in.

i had 3 clients out today suprised they turned out,but all the same all seemed keen,i was out from 0530hrs clients got to wansford for 0800 stayed till 1500.

biggest bag of the day was 22 guys had minimal kit but all the samefair play to them all i had to do was keep the birds moving although easier said then done

anyhow a bit of sport was had by all and i have to say i was suprised with the mild blizzard blowing good day overall

Got call at 10.30 from farmer that there were 500+ pigeons on rape. He said 'i bet you don't fancy having a go at them in this weather, I'll have to get the bangers out and defrost gas guns if not' (heavy snow 4-6" covering and howling wind blowing snow horizontal). I said i'd there within the hour.

Got to the fields nothing on the ground or in the air. Put one in the air and 200+ moved out of trees lining the fields. Wouldn't decoy at all although did drop onto fields every 1/2 hour or so, but not near me! Put a few shots in the air to get them moving. Bird that got anywhere near were fast having strong wind behind them. Spent 2.5hrs pinned against a hedgerow. Birds then disappeared. Ended up with 3 pigeons and 1 crow. Not the best day out but farmer happy I'd kept them off even for a short while.

Well that didnt go very well.Got to the rape field about 9.30 hundreds if not thousands landing or in the small wood near by.Stopped in gateway to look for a while when farmer pulled up .Are you having a go mate he says been hammering it the last few days.Think so i said need to be bottom corner between the 2 fields on flight line to and from wood .Can i drive down i said yep no problem been driving down there to regas banger was his reply.So set off down field full of exspectation back end of fronty was swinging in and out a bit but thought i should be ok.Got to bottom corner of field and the fronty started to struggle but only had another 40yds to go.Then it happened suddenly the fronty seem to drop 12" or so on drivers side quickly put in reverse but to late .Tried all ways to get out but was stuck up to my door sills and thats quiet high.Rang farmer said good news iv scared your pigeons off but some bad news dont tell me he said your stuck.I will send lad in tractor to pull you out ok i replyied .Half hour latter tractor turned up lad says how the f+++k you got down here i dont know my tractor was slipping all over .So rope to tow bar and pulled me out so all ended well but he was struggling to get a grip on the wet snowy ground .So pigeon shoot abandoned until tomorrow were i will be mainly walking to were i need to be :lol:

some pic of how deep i went .Can just make dog out in back of truck pic 2 hes thinking dad you t++t why didnt we stop at home in the warm

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0750.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

Edited by blade