cat D repaired car

a cat d has probably had nothing more than a door or panels beaten out, my daughter had one as her first car, it'd had a minor knock to the door and wing, but because of the age and value it was written off, it was then repaired and sold on to her, this happens a lot on older cars. you should have no problems insuring but by all means check first with your insurer.

cat A, crush only.

cat B, sell parts off it only.

cat C, can repair, possible chassis damage, usually needs to be re jigged.

cat D, can repair usually no chassis damage.

cat F, fire damage.

cat X, very minor damage, i.e. headlights broken.

had cat d's before no problem told insurers no increase in premium, don't know if all insurers are same, good luck

S

We brought our car back from the insurance company as it was cat c, un economical to repair ( new bumpers front and rear ) we had to have a Vehicle Inspection Certificate, £50, done at a Dvla inspection centre. It just confirms vehicle is not a ringer, we had no probs re insuring it.

If it's a modern car where pre tensioners, air bags etc are deployed how can you tell if these have been replaced/repaired without actually testing them? I can't see dvla ripping off pillar, seat stearing wheel covers etc to check? It's a bit like buying a house without a surveyor? Might look structuraly sound to anyone else.... I'd say it's very much buyer beware, would be worth checking if they have any pics of the damage and receipts from repairs, unless they did it themselves. On a plus point tho my brother in law is a mechanic and has insurance cars in all the time,due to them usually having to use original parts rather than oem they are very often cat d'd. Makes sense when you compare manuf prices to other suppliers.

Got a new car returned when I worked for a main dealer the red on the side was different under the street lights. Get this it fell off the production line being made we later found out and was repaired. We are talking a big world manufacturer now not a tin pot one. does anyone realise what can and regularly does happen to brand new cars before they are sold, in transportation, showroom and compound not to mention being PDI in the workshop (give you a tip check your doors especially in the case of two / three door cars)

What you will find with "Total loss" insurance claims in all the CAT's is that insurance companies generally will not pay out on them a second time - i.e. if you buy a CAT D (total loss) repair it, insure it etc all totaly legal etc & either it gets nicked or wrecked your insurance company will be very very reluctant to pay you any money as its already a total loss vehicle.

What you will find with "Total loss" insurance claims in all the CAT's is that insurance companies generally will not pay out on them a second time - i.e. if you buy a CAT D (total loss) repair it, insure it etc all totaly legal etc & either it gets nicked or wrecked your insurance company will be very very reluctant to pay you any money as its already a total loss vehicle.

The Insurance company will already know when you go to insure it - if it has been repaired properly the minimum they can pay out is trade :good: Buy it at thr right price bearing this in mind :yes:

Very misleading , myself and my brother and staff repair salvage cars and commercials . To be sold on to our customers , we have been trading for 15 years . and have had several customers that HAVE smashed their cars or vans . That have been purchased from our company Cat c and d . with no issues whatsoever regarding insurance repairs or payouts

It will all depend on the insurer, you must disclose it to them as if you don't and you have to claim they wont pay a penny (generally) for each car put back on the road be it a cat d or c they will reduce the market value that they would pay out in the event of a total loss by a percentage, D usually around 25% less and C 40% less again this will vary and as has been mentioned some may not pay out at all.

It will all depend on the insurer, you must disclose it to them as if you don't and you have to claim they wont pay a penny (generally) for each car put back on the road be it a cat d or c they will reduce the market value that they would pay out in the event of a total loss by a percentage, D usually around 25% less and C 40% less again this will vary and as has been mentioned some may not pay out at all.

An insurance company knows straight away if it has been a previous total loss when you give them a registration number of vehicle . Edited by neil w